Author Topic: Post Irene Paddles  (Read 1060 times)

Ichabod Spoonbill

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Hudson Valley, NY
    • View Profile
    • HVH2O
    • Email
Post Irene Paddles
« on: September 24, 2011, 08:44:19 PM »
It's been about a month since Irene plowed through New York State, but I'm amazed out how much she left her stamp on the Hudson River.

I've been out three times since the storm. The first time was the day after. I know, that seems foolhardy, especially after there was a windsurfing death on Long Island the day before, but the day was actually lovely. The river then was a chalky tan from all the stuff that got churned up and the runoff. I did my typical long run: Peekskill Bay to the Bear Mountain Bridge and back, about seven miles. A Coast Guard helicopter flew about two hundred feet above the river, so close I could see a pilot's head through the window. I got worried they would try to rescue me, especially when, after it flew upriver, it returned a few minutes later. I learned from the news there had been a local drowning of some white water rafters who tried the Croton River and one drowned. Surprisingly there was little stuff floating around in the water.

Since then the river has recovered slowly. It's no longer a chalky tan color but more of a reddish brown from the runoff upstate. There is now a lot of flotsam on the river, so much that I wouldn't take any boat up to speed on the water. The local windsurfers are staying off the river, mostly.

Yesterday I did my long run again and it was amazing. There's still all sorts of weird stuff in the water like storage bins and sheets of plastic, more flotsam than ever, and bigger stuff like trees. However, I've never seen the river more beautiful. It was a foggy, drizzly afternoon, the kind that would make most people stay indoors. I went out because I hadn't had many paddles recently, and what the hell, I was probably going to get wet even without the rain, so who cares if it's raining or not?

The fog was covering the mountains around me with wisps of white. At times the hills around me were almost completely hidden. The rain flattened the water so it was almost completely calm, making the only chop the occasional boat wake. My God, the river was gorgeous in a way I've never seen before. I'd never seen it so flat and so peaceful looking. The patterns of light rain were clear on the calm surface. For much of the time I was the only watercraft visible, and I could see for a few miles in each direction. It was like I owned the river. I was so sad I didn't have my camera.

It's nice to be out in the rain in a wetsuit. The water doesn't really bother you, but it does keep you cool. I was just wearing a thin farmer John, and until the rain I was sweating like crazy in the heat. The rain made everything better.

Twice little silver fish jumped onto my board. That was funny.

Kind of a rambling post, but I've been enjoying seeing the Hudson change so dramatically with both the season and the storm. You saltwater guys get all sorts of interesting critters in the water, but on the brackish Hudson we get some dramatic scenery.

-Ian
Pau Hana 11' Big EZ Ricochet (Beluga)

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal