Author Topic: Whitewater/River SUP Shoes  (Read 22007 times)

northvibe

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Whitewater/River SUP Shoes
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2012, 10:18:41 PM »
How does the water shoe size compare to your standard shoe size? .5 smaller?

northvibe

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2012, 08:25:30 AM »
I just ordered and received Tevas Fuse-ion in size 11, which is my normal size. They fit good. Barely any room, so my foot wont slide around much. I have some wide feet but they seemed to fit good. I'll be wearing these on Madeline island for kayak and sup'ing. See how it goes. IMO they are maybe .5 smaller than your standard shoe, as there is no extra room in front of toes? :shrug:

surferkarl

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2012, 04:14:19 PM »
OK, wife cut her foot on in the shoals on the Santa Fe River.  10 stitches and a month later she's back to SUP'ing in the ocean but is interested in shoes for the river...  We SUP warm water mostly and she wants a shoe that will stay cool.  What do you think of the Columbia Sportswear Women's Drainmaker Water Shoe?

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Sportswear-Womens-Drainmaker-Water/dp/B003XPGNF0/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_3

downriver

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2012, 12:06:34 PM »
I have been wearing cabelas rubber sole fishing/hiking boots.  I am on my 3rd season in the same boots.  They feel flimsy for hiking boots, but have 3x the support and protection as most wetsuit boots.  Cabelas is the kind of place for hunters that need GPS cameras and $3000 tree stands, not very eco friendly, but the boots work. 

When I surf my Uli I ride it right up onto the beach and run off the end.

Cheers  M

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 01:47:08 PM »
OK, wife cut her foot on in the shoals on the Santa Fe River.  10 stitches and a month later she's back to SUP'ing in the ocean but is interested in shoes for the river...  We SUP warm water mostly and she wants a shoe that will stay cool.  What do you think of the Columbia Sportswear Women's Drainmaker Water Shoe?

http://www.amazon.com/Columbia-Sportswear-Womens-Drainmaker-Water/dp/B003XPGNF0/ref=pd_sbs_shoe_3

For the river, think about one of these two shoes.  Both are excellent

http://www.coloradokayak.com/Water-Tennie-Five-Ten.html

http://www.astralbuoyancy.com/2012/products/brewer.php

They both have the same rubber sole and drain well.  The stealth rubber is by far the best for wet rocks. 

paddlebattle

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2012, 11:38:06 AM »
this summer I used a pair of body glove toe shoes. Worked quite well but as with all my river shoes, they wont make it to next season.  :)

northvibe

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2016, 08:27:00 PM »
I just ordered and received Tevas Fuse-ion in size 11, which is my normal size. They fit good. Barely any room, so my foot wont slide around much. I have some wide feet but they seemed to fit good. I'll be wearing these on Madeline island for kayak and sup'ing. See how it goes. IMO they are maybe .5 smaller than your standard shoe, as there is no extra room in front of toes? :shrug:

These ended up being a bad water shoe. They are uncomfortable to stand on the PB with, then when they get wet the water does not drain. I'd say, more of a dock, or boat top shoe.

Endlesswaves

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2016, 11:41:28 AM »
I've been happy with the NRS Freestyle; a few more options listed here: https://endlesswaves.net/2016/09/10/river-surfing-gear/

Alkasazi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2016, 12:02:48 PM »
So far I've used NRS Attacks & Freestyles, Teva Sunkosi (generation before the Gnarkosi), FiveTen Water Tennies, and Astral Brewers and Hiyaks. My hands-down favorite have been the Astral Hiyaks. Great traction on and off the board. Low profile for great feel underneath, but enough support for walking/hiking. Lacing system is also good, the velcro overwrap keeps them from coming undone. I've used these throughout the Northwest, and for 2 weeks straight on a Grand trip, and am still happy with them.
SUP monkey @ Outdoorplay

current boards:
KPO Design Yampa 10
Imagine Connector
Red Elite 14

fredi

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2016, 03:08:35 AM »
I've used two kind of shoes. These are shoes I already had, I didn't bought them specifically for wwsup.
The first one are vibram five-fingers. Useful for hot weather when you want to be light. But not suitable for real river sup when you have to walk on stones inside the river for a long time, or when your foot may fall among stones.
For serious wwsup, I use canyoning shoes: brand Bestard and model Guide, because it's made in Spain and I'm French, but any canyoning shoes will have the same characteristics: protect the foot, allow walking on rough floor, but dry slowly.
Surprisingly, I don't feel a lack of control with these big boots.
If I know that I will have to walk a lot after or before, I put acrylic socks for feet breathing, else I use neoprene socks.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal