Author Topic: Gladiator Fins: Elite vs Hybrid  (Read 12714 times)

Seattle-Wind

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Gladiator Fins: Elite vs Hybrid
« on: September 19, 2011, 09:08:16 AM »
I am looking to upgrade the stock fin on my 12'0 Glide to one of Larry Allison's designs - the Gladiator Elite, Gladiator Hybrid, or the Ninja.

I paddle on flat water, light wind/chop, and down-winders.

http://www.supgladiator.com/racefins/

Has anyone had any experience with comparing the Gladiator Elite and Hybrid fins? What were your experiences? I've heard great things about the Gladiator, but I'm wondering if it's too large of a fin for the 12' Glide...

« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 09:15:25 AM by Rastaman3030 »

bwd

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gladiator Fins: Elite vs Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 11:42:03 AM »
I have both the Elite and the slightly smaller Hybrid for my Starboard ACE 14x25. When I first got them both they seemed close enough in size and I didn't think there would be much difference, but there is. The Elite tracks better but the board is harder to turn. I much prefer the Hybrid for the ACE. It still tracks really well and it turns well (for a 14). This is on flat water and light wind/chop. But I doubt that you could go wrong with either fin, it's just that the Hybrid seems like the perfect fit for the ACE and a good compromise. I've done a few mini downwinders (in only 15-20kts, 1-3ft waves) and the Hybrid works well there too. I've ordered a Coast Runner and I'll probably order another Hybrid to go with it since I'm so happy with it.

I can't say anything about the 12' Glide but I'd think the Hybrid would work well on it and still give you some looseness for turns and downwinders. The description on the link you posted is pretty much exactly how I'd compare the two fins.
Dave

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 01:02:35 PM »
Ninja my friend. Mahalo,Larry
Allison Race Fins

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 02:30:57 PM »
I am looking to upgrade the stock fin on my 12'0 Glide to one of Larry Allison's designs - the Gladiator Elite, Gladiator Hybrid, or the Ninja.

I paddle on flat water, light wind/chop, and down-winders.

http://www.supgladiator.com/racefins/

Has anyone had any experience with comparing the Gladiator Elite and Hybrid fins? What were your experiences? I've heard great things about the Gladiator, but I'm wondering if it's too large of a fin for the 12' Glide...

I think you'd be better of with the Gladiator Hybrid than the Ninja because it has more area in the tip (where you need it IMO) .. and smaller than the Elite.. btw what size are they ( Elite vs Hybrid) ?

Do you need such a swept back fin because of weed? .. If not and tracking is not an issue I think a more upright fin will suit the board better and help with turning.. They are hard enough to turn without making it harder by using a swept back fin.

DJ
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 02:39:07 PM by DavidJohn »

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 05:07:23 PM »
Ninja my friend. Mahalo,Larry

There ya go...
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 11:33:57 PM »
It is funny you are in the exact place I am with fins! I saw the Gladiators everywhere at Round the Rock and thought they looked great. I was going to pu a weed fin but I think these will work fine. I ordered 1 full and 1 hybrid. They are going on my 14 Glide and my wife's 12 Glide.

Larry would know best as he designed them. I am still going to try them. Everyone seems to think the hybrid will work better for downwind. I will let you know how they turn out.

Larry Allison

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • https://www.facebook.com/larry.w.allison
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2011, 01:14:54 PM »
It is funny you are in the exact place I am with fins! I saw the Gladiators everywhere at Round the Rock and thought they looked great. I was going to pu a weed fin but I think these will work fine. I ordered 1 full and 1 hybrid. They are going on my 14 Glide and my wife's 12 Glide.

Larry would know best as he designed them. I am still going to try them. Everyone seems to think the hybrid will work better for downwind. I will let you know how they turn out.

Look forward to hearing your results. Yes you are right the Hybrid with shorter core length and size will work better than the Elite in straight downwind runs. Mahalo,Larry
Allison Race Fins

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2011, 01:53:39 PM »
Thanks Larry! By the way your fins are works of art. I highly recommend people to check them out. I will let you know how they work in my application. The reason I chose the Gladiator Is I am hopeful to ride my 14 a little more from center. In smaller downwind conditions it Is difficult to get back in time. The smaller original fin sometimes loses bite. Have to love experimenting!

caseyg

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2011, 04:16:42 PM »
This is Casey from SUP Gladiator.  For what its worth, I have switched to the Hybrid on my Bark 14' board.  I still go back and forth on my Bark 12'6, as it has more tail rocker, and the extra length of the Elite does help in rougher conditions.  In calm conditions, I find the Hybrid tracks perfectly fine, and has a looser feeling than the Elite.  It also turns better, as was pointed out here.  Larry and I currently both sell a lot more Elite's than Hybrid's, but I see that changing over time, to a more equal ratio.  While both are really good fins, I think more and more people will eventually opt for the smaller looser fin.  Some of the Racers that fell in love with the Elite, have already started to switch over.  What I am hearing from them is, as their stroke technique improves, they rely less on the fin for tracking.  As that happens, the smaller fin becomes more interesting, due to better turning and looser feeling.  For me, it comes down to the board I am riding and the conditions I am riding in.  That has more of a bearing on which one I use personally.

Casey

Henrik F

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 03:28:27 AM »
This is Casey from SUP Gladiator.  For what its worth, I have switched to the Hybrid on my Bark 14' board.  I still go back and forth on my Bark 12'6, as it has more tail rocker, and the extra length of the Elite does help in rougher conditions.  In calm conditions, I find the Hybrid tracks perfectly fine, and has a looser feeling than the Elite.  It also turns better, as was pointed out here.  Larry and I currently both sell a lot more Elite's than Hybrid's, but I see that changing over time, to a more equal ratio.  While both are really good fins, I think more and more people will eventually opt for the smaller looser fin.  Some of the Racers that fell in love with the Elite, have already started to switch over.  What I am hearing from them is, as their stroke technique improves, they rely less on the fin for tracking.  As that happens, the smaller fin becomes more interesting, due to better turning and looser feeling.  For me, it comes down to the board I am riding and the conditions I am riding in.  That has more of a bearing on which one I use personally.

Casey

Thanks for excellent and useful info!

Henrik F
crosswater.se

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal