Author Topic: 2012 Naish Glide 12'6" anyone paddle one?  (Read 23557 times)

bruiser

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
2012 Naish Glide 12'6" anyone paddle one?
« on: September 11, 2011, 12:09:13 AM »
I'm trying to get some ideas on the Naish Glide 12'6", The one that is 30" wide.

It would be great to see some video or pictures.
Bark Dominator 14'
Fanatic Falcon 14' x 30"
Exocet Fish 8'10" x 32"
Fanatic Allwave 9'6" x 32"

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2012 Naish Glide 12'6" anyone paddle one?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 12:50:46 AM »
Paddled it today.. and down loading my vid now.. I'll post my vid once it's done.

Oh yeah.. I also took heaps of pictures..  ;D

DJ

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 03:12:14 AM »
Here's my vid that I took today.. It was gusting 20-30 knots and even within the protected waters of the marina it was hard paddling.. The board went great.. Less stable at first than I expected for a board this size and thick and maybe that was because it was so rough when I first headded off from the shore.. and maybe because the rail edges have a soft'ish edge rather than a sharp edge.. even right in the tail area.. But once tipped slightly it's as solid as a rock and I can't imagine tipping it over.. The upside down nose shape cut through the chop like a hot knife through butter.. This day I was glad I was on the 30" version and not the 28" board because it was pretty choppy even though it doesn't look like it in the vid.. I can't wait to paddle it in glassy conditions.

DJ

« Last Edit: September 11, 2011, 03:26:31 AM by DavidJohn »

bruiser

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 03:46:02 AM »
cheers for info DJ  :) :) :),

BTW does it have a sunken deck like the Javelin?

Would love to see some photos if you have time to post

Bark Dominator 14'
Fanatic Falcon 14' x 30"
Exocet Fish 8'10" x 32"
Fanatic Allwave 9'6" x 32"

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 04:29:48 AM »
cheers for info DJ  :) :) :),

BTW does it have a sunken deck like the Javelin?

Would love to see some photos if you have time to post

The deck is much more sunken than the 14' Jav.. and even the new 14' Glide.. I think it's about 1 1/2" deep.

I'm just about to watch the F1's so I will try and post my pictures soon... Go Webber!

DJ

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 07:09:37 AM »
Oh well.. So much for Mark Webber.. Here's my pictures.

Maybe way too many pics again but for those like me that like to see all the angles and details each pic shows something different.

This is the 12'6" x 28" carbon Javelin.. Boxy is back..  ;D

The deck is a deeper bird bath than the one on the new 14' Glide.. I'm guessing about 1 1/2" deep.

Beautiful looking upside down nose.

Great new Naish handle and good to see they put it in the center of the board.

The rails at the rear are sharp'ish but still with a slight soft edge.

They soon become even more soft'ish.

Quite soft in the mid section.

Round'ish towards the nose area.

Plain looking bottom.

The forward section has a slight round'ish belly.

Flat in mid section.

Sneaky little center concave before the rear section that you can see if you look close.

The v doesn't start till you get way back to the fin box.

Fair bit of v right at the tail should help with turning from the tail.

Flat deck and the deck in the nose area seems to drop away when viewed from above.

A few pics showing the rails from above.

This is the 30" wide AST Glide.

Here's some pictures of it on the water.

Thanks to the guys at The Zu for letting me take their board for a spin.

DJ

westbeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 07:11:10 PM »
Awesome review again DJ.  ;D I am curios to know the main difference between the 12'6 Glide and the 12'6 Javelin? I can't seem to see much of a difference between the two other than color and width (and sunken deck on the Jav)? Perhaps you can enlighten me a little more. Cheers!

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 12:40:57 AM »
Awesome review again DJ.  ;D I am curios to know the main difference between the 12'6 Glide and the 12'6 Javelin? I can't seem to see much of a difference between the two other than color and width (and sunken deck on the Jav)? Perhaps you can enlighten me a little more. Cheers!

Thanks.. As far as I know it's just color, width and weight.. Someone else might know for sure.

DJ

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2011, 05:47:10 PM »
Awesome review again DJ.  ;D I am curios to know the main difference between the 12'6 Glide and the 12'6 Javelin? I can't seem to see much of a difference between the two other than color and width (and sunken deck on the Jav)? Perhaps you can enlighten me a little more. Cheers!

Thanks.. As far as I know it's just color, width and weight.. Someone else might know for sure.

DJ

according to the Naish site there's also 5 litres difference in volume (?) in the Glide's favour

I spent about 30-40mins on a carbon glide at dawn this morning in relatively calm conditions. At 6'2 and 120kg I'm probably testing the upper limits of its range but I found it very comfortable and it sure "feels" quick. I had no trouble stepping back to attempt a kick turn and the nose comes around real quick. For big guys it could probably do with a bigger area fin than the stock.

I paddled it back-to-back with a 31.5 Starboard Race this morning and there are aspects of both boards I really like...the wider starby has better primary stability which means I can get my power down and it glides very well but it feels a bit like it's pushing water...tough choice ahead  :-\  might need to get the Garmin involved...
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 05:57:19 PM by upwinder »
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

onostuff

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2011, 10:50:53 AM »
Hi DJ
We're still waiting for the new Glides to arrive in our area in California, so nice to see your video to get an idea of what it's like.
I don't know if you've had any more chance to paddle the 12'6 in smoother conditions, but was wonder what your thought were on how it compares to the Coreban Alpha 12'6, which I believe you've been able to paddle a few times. (I probably won't be doing any racing, so am most interested in the 30" width, and doing exploring and workout paddles in varian conditions (bay and ocean). I've tried the Alpha a few times in fairly calm conditions, and seems like a good all-rounder. I know you are a little more prone to the 14 footers, and maybe in my future I'll consider one of those.
Any feedback between the two would be appreciated; thanks for all you provide to the forum.

Patrick

250SUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 04:35:36 PM »
So DJ, is your understanding that both the 2012 12'6" Naish Javelin and the 2012 Naish 12'6" Glide are both displacement style now with the main difference being the width?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2011, 05:58:37 PM »
So DJ, is your understanding that both the 2012 12'6" Naish Javelin and the 2012 Naish 12'6" Glide are both displacement style now with the main difference being the width?

Yes.. IMO they're displacement style boards with the ability to surf and plane off the tail.. One 30" wide for the bigger guys/gals or learners.. and one 28" wide for the lighter people or maybe big guys/gals in smooth conditions or those after the faster board.

DJ

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2011, 06:14:46 PM »
Hi DJ

I don't know if you've had any more chance to paddle the 12'6 in smoother conditions, but was wonder what your thought were on how it compares to the Coreban Alpha 12'6, which I believe you've been able to paddle a few times. (I probably won't be doing any racing, so am most interested in the 30" width, and doing exploring and workout paddles in varian conditions (bay and ocean). I've tried the Alpha a few times in fairly calm conditions, and seems like a good all-rounder. I know you are a little more prone to the 14 footers, and maybe in my future I'll consider one of those.
Any feedback between the two would be appreciated; thanks for all you provide to the forum.

Patrick

Hi Patrick.. The new 12'6" Naish and the 12'6" Coreban are very, very different boards with the Coreban feeling more like a big surfboard and the Naish feeling more like a flat water race board.. I think for most people that want an all round flat water board that you can take in the surf the Coreban is a better choice.. The Naish is a better flat water board for those who want to race or want to paddle both smooth and choppy water with ease.

I have paddled the 12'6" x 30" in glassy conditions now and loved it.. I think even if I don"t find the 28" tippy I would still go for the 30" wide board if I get one.. I'm about 95kg (200lbs) and I would rather sacrifice some speed to have more stability when it gets rough.. The 30" board would also be great to get beginners on because it's so stable.. I had one moment in glassy conditions when I moved way forward on the board and the whole nose was almost under water and I was able to keep paddling with no speed loss at all.. It cuts though the water like a knife.. That's why it paddles into chop so well.

I would like to try this board on a DW run one day and see if it works.. Also one day soon I will demo the 28" wide version and maybe get some vid of it in action.. It will be interesting to see if it's as fast as my 14' Javelin.

DJ
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:21:18 PM by DavidJohn »

onostuff

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 10:35:30 AM »
Thanks DJ for the good feedback. So it sounds like the 2012 glide are pretty different than the older 12 and 14' Glides. Hopefully they've kept enough rocker in the nose area on the 12'6 to be able to do a little downwinding. How did weight of the AST boards seem to be? Think I've heard that the weight of the new Naish board has gotten pretty good.
Guess I'll have to be a little more patient and wait for a demo 12'6 to show up in the Bay Area soon.
Thanks
Patrick

wilanz

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 10:35:02 AM »
Vids are always great.  I like that last bit where you are catching the wave back in.  That answered my question on how that nose does while on a wave.  It looks like it started to go under and once you stepped back it came right out of the water without skipping a beat.

Nice and thanks again for all of the details and Pics!

We talk about what a great resource you are all the way here in Florida within a couple of mins of meeting new people on the beach.  Everyone knows who you are.  It's a great icebreaker.   "Are you on the Zone? Have you seen DJs latest post?"

* Recent Posts

post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 15, 2024, 01:37:51 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal