Author Topic: The fall and winter Maliko report  (Read 58377 times)

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: The fall and winter Maliko report
« Reply #105 on: February 24, 2012, 12:11:48 PM »
LPB, I think the camera on the back of the boat gives a bit better perspective (and no breathing noises).  But if I do that the GoPro might not work so well with the super wide angle view.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2012, 01:28:15 PM »
I agree on the boat mount perspective.  I like it for the obvious reasons; technique, waves look bigger, etc. 

The head mount has advantages too.  The ability to frame other paddlers may be helpful.  It's good training for me to relax my shoulders - neck and scan more.  It may also be helpful for landmarks.  Whale action is what I'm really hoping for.   

The respiration is solid evidence that struggling is hopeless.  It was very obvious a few days ago with some oc-1's.  Relaxed tempo and respiration had me run up on them easily.  Attempting to drop them by increasing my effort didn't work. 

Hmm, sound is such a great word.  I wonder if PDX can triple pun it.

Support your local shaper

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2012, 09:44:47 PM »
And yet another day in Feb which is going down as one of the best stretches in some time.  Today wasn't perfect because a hefty groundswell grew today, crossing surface conditions a bit.  But wind was nuking.  Steel grey sky and very intense.  Got to Maliko and blazed out with a few OCs and LaPer on his surf ski.  We both packed cameras and LaPer was kind enough to hang with me and get a few shots.  Only got a few of him since he hung behind and shot me more than I shot him.  Editing now but pleased with the picture in the poor light.  My Canon is at F2 at 24mm focal length.  And SurfCowboy's no fog strips worked perfect.  I also tried this coating called Raincoat which I was pleased with on the outside of the lens port.  Drops were still there but very cohesive and didn't disperse a blur around them.  Some refracted a little rainbow.  My mount on the front was solid but most of my footage was boring when there was no one in front of me.  So my video will be short ... which is good.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2012, 11:04:18 PM »
A fine run indeed. I originally planned to take some visitors along--friends of Mr. Greatdane--but they want to go Monday instead, which is probably a good thing. I'd say today was a bit much for Newbies. I dropped into some swells that felt bottomless. I was playing with staying high in the swell, and got some of the longest rides ever. About a half mile from the harbor I dropped into a giant and it just kept going and going. I though it would take me all the way in. Not quite, but pretty close.

Biggy got mugged by a whale that held it's fin over his boat. Sounded very familiar. They might be trying to collect tolls or something, though I'm still going with the idea that it's Boyum's fault for zipping by a calf.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #109 on: February 27, 2012, 12:24:53 AM »
Here's sunday's run.  An experiment to see how my camera worked with new mount set up and low light  (high cirrus) conditions.  No frills, no music, just the facts.  The clicking noise is my two Union 76 foam float balls (in case the camera falls out of the housing) tapping against the camera housing like castanets.  So if that bugs you, turn off the sound.  I went out with LaPer with his surf ski which is like taking a knife... you know the rest.  You can see him slip away very fast when he bags a good one.  Wish I could have gotten more of his take offs.  Liked it when he was close. 

Feb LaPer surfski

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #110 on: February 27, 2012, 12:27:09 AM »
Fun times again, east wind has been excellent.  It sure is tough to stay close out there when it's windy.  I tried to catch Alan Cadiz when he went by, but he was gone pretty quick.  He really flies in his xm.  It sure is cool to see yourself in video, thanks for that.   

maliko 2-26-12
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 12:37:02 AM by LaPerouseBay »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: February 27, 2012, 04:02:25 AM »
Great vid.. Hey Bill.. Lucky all the water you lift when you paddle falls back in the ocean because you'd have it emptied in no time..  ;D  ..... Just kidding mate..  ;) .. It's a bugger what the camera catches that you don't want it to catch.. Looks like a wild run.

DJ

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 27, 2012, 08:42:37 AM »
I've been giving him grief about his stroke, and of course he tosses more water because he's using a Ke Nalu and we just both switched back to Molokais for downwind and surfing (I still use a Maliko for flatwater). Bill is the perfect example of "pull past your feet with a Ke Nalu and you're shoveling water".  But I'm not making too big a deal with him about it because if there's any swell he kicks my ass.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #113 on: February 27, 2012, 10:18:15 AM »
Yeah my stroke is never good but yesterday and any day that I'm shooting vid and my mind is on video, it's even worse.  Yesterday was challenging with the crossing surface and it threw my timing off as to when to paddle.  I end up rushing it at missed opportunities and start chopping wood.  My camera set up is two pounds and even as far back on the board as it was, I could feel it.  Also had to be careful when I switched as the camera mount was right in the whack zone when I changed sides.  But I'm going to try again today maybe in the back and not try to keep up with Larry's ski.  Hey LaPer why didn't you running me over make the cut?  That would have looked cool.

DJ... it did look like I was emptying the ocean but you know how vid reduces the appaearance of wind speed?  It was really windy and any water leaving the surface was going to lift off dramatically.   You've got a great mount and hopefully I can find the right spot on my board.    What did you think about the image quality on the vid I shot?

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 27, 2012, 10:59:31 AM »
I don't know about you guys but I'm not buyin' any of that. He always looks like a sternwheeler going past. Problem is he's always going past.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #115 on: February 27, 2012, 11:16:21 AM »
Yeah my stroke is never good but yesterday and any day that I'm shooting vid and my mind is on video, it's even worse.
Don't be so hard on yourself HM, the clips of your less that ideal recovery is an isolated incident.  Your stroke looked much better in the vast majority of the footage.
Hey LaPer why didn't you running me over make the cut?  That would have looked cool.
It's not that exciting.  it's just me zooming up behind you, slamming on the brakes and jumping out of the boat just as it touches the bullet. 

A turtle fooled me Saturday.  I thought for sure he looked right at me and dove, then he surfaced again and I nailed him.  After feeling bad for the turtle (it was huge, probably didn't care) I worried about the boat.  It was fine - didn't even chip the gelcoat.  If I ever hit an sup, it's going to leave a big hole.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 27, 2012, 02:07:50 PM »
Great vids thanks guys, just ignore them Bill, they're very mean and someone has to be responsible for maintaining global humidity levels ;D

Hey L, did a 15 mile solo ski the other day, had a friend drop me off for a downwinder. Really gave me a chance to take my time and start to get my head around steering the boat by leaning rather than trying to stop it broaching on the wave using the rudder and bracing. Suddenly all became so much smoother, faster and way less effort, started so get some insight into just how fast these things really are.

This is going to become very addictive!!

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #117 on: February 27, 2012, 11:25:08 PM »
Monday and it's still rolling.  To the oil tanks with Pono.  Took vid and some of Pono and Devin who appeared out of the blue.  Dark skies but F2 with 24mm focal ain't bad.  Just doesn't have that cozy sunny feel.  But learning angles right now.  Too tired to edit so some time tomorrow.

SurfCowboy, if you check this, yes those tiny little strips move all around inside my housing but never in the way of the lens... so I'm good tho a little bigger would be better.

Tomorrow I gotta rest.  Starting to feel broken down a tad.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 27, 2012, 11:30:52 PM »
Yeah, I'm hurting all over. That was a fun run though, some big drops. Hope that one monster wave with Devin comes out.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #119 on: February 28, 2012, 01:00:23 AM »
I was looking around for you guys, but didn't see anyone.  Fun run, but it seemed like a lot of work.  Maybe the E and NW swells conflicting.  I've been feeling a bit tired too.  Winds are scheduled to pick up.  I'll rest when the wind stops.   :)     

maliko 2-27-12

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal