Author Topic: The fall and winter Maliko report  (Read 58387 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The fall and winter Maliko report
« Reply #90 on: February 19, 2012, 09:51:12 AM »
The wind stats when our crew went yesterday was 26-35 at the airport but I think it was even stronger up by Hookipa.  Gusts seemed to pile on top of gusts and there was blistering mist ripping off the surface.  It was a great day for SUPs as well as ski and OC-1s...  So far it's a monsoon this morning tho I'm seeing my first sun break.

LaPer loved the vid as it showed some elevation this time when you were on top of some hefty ones.  Vid pixelated a few times on my playback at 1080.  Did it do that on your end?  Glare was still kinda cool which reminds me to find a new pair of sunnies today as mine got lost yesterday.   Buzz uses cheapies but I like good ones for as much exposure as we get.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #91 on: February 19, 2012, 12:18:37 PM »
Yes, the pixilation was in the original, not sure why. 

Glad you like the video.  I'm bummed the color washes out when the glare overwhelms the camera. 
Support your local shaper

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 19, 2012, 10:11:59 PM »
Twas' a good day to head to the tanks instead of grinding the last 200yrds. in the harbor. The wind was in abundance and the glides were nonstop from start to finish. I had to stop several times to wait for another paddler. Once while waiting I just stopped and held my paddle in the air. I actually caught runners like that for a least a mile never paddling.  I think with a bigger paddle/sail i could ????

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 19, 2012, 10:39:01 PM »
Yeah, it was fun. It was a gorge downwinder on Maui. I spent most of my time just hanging on. Got into a couple of BIG swells that took me a mile. Rocking and Rolling. It was a blast all the way to kite beach. I was too far outside coming in to the harbor. I should have curved in towards Kite beach and run along the break wall and Pier One, but I thought the outer line would be safer. Wrong, the waves were quartering towards me and bouncing the nose of my board around. I finally just did a Pocahontas to get in the mouth and then the awful grind mentioned elsewhere. Great run though. Fast and fun.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2012, 05:55:32 AM »
Sunday's run.  Classic summer conditions.  Big east, no NW swell.

maliko 2-19-12
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 06:10:07 AM by LaPerouseBay »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2012, 06:49:17 AM »
I was thinking "that doesn't look much like my run" when you got to the Kanaha section and it got a lot more frantic. Some big drops there. I need to try curving in to get the Kite beach/Pier One current and swell today, my chicken line isn't working.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2012, 09:47:29 AM »
 Glided into the harbor yesterday entrance feeling pretty revitalized, turned the corner and what should have been by all rights a small lee pocket behind the wall, wasn't there. 

The 40mph E wind that we had the whole run was somehow peeling along the inside of the breakwall right into our faces.  No refuge anywhere.  I couldn't figure out how it could be that way except that f##kin cruise ship must create some kind of vortex that turned the wind inside the harbor straight f##kin offshore.  Thought for an instant to fall off the wind and go to the boat ramp and walk back to the car but then thought about the wind over there and how there would be no refuge, no safe place to put the board, possibly a worse nightmare.  So I got down and prone paddled into this maelstrom, tried to stay close to the wall and hopefully get some reprieve but the wind sometimes drove me dangerously towards the pilings or the secret agent that was next to me.  Got behind one pier where there was a little pocket of protection.  Huffed and puffed with the secret agent.  We knew that as soon as we went around the corner there would be constant fire and no resting.  Finally inched our way up towards the back of the ship where there was some lee but the ship's thrusters were blasting and the water was like boiling all around the back.  Big stink too.   

So I was forced to cross over what I dreaded most, that open stretch between the boat and the inside pier.  The reason for the dread was that constant tornado like gusts were ripping huge areas of water off the surface.  Was on my knees for a low profile but still got lifted off once and flung.  Lost 50 yds or so.  Then drifted sideways with very little forward.  Thought I would end up near the rocks in front of Harbor Lights condo and walk up but finally there was lighter wind the last 30 yds. to the beach and was able to paddle back to the canoe club.  The rudder had been full torqued the whole time.  Didn't think it was doing much but someone else, who had no rudder, did get blown down the beach, almost to the rocks and walked back up.  Never seen it like that before.  Pretty wild.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2012, 12:31:43 PM »
Nice description of the maelstrom inside the breakwall.  Our shuttle group left about an hour after you and we missed the worst of it in the harbor.  Mark R. had done a run, he was on the shuttle and told Kai 'as soon as you clear the gulch, just go.  The NW swell is gone and you don't want to be outside today.'  That's all I needed to hear.  Sorry to hear that even  past the breakwall it was so hellish.

Kai started behind me and glided through (on oc-1, what an amazing sight) the wall about the same time I did.  He stayed pretty close to the wall.  His line went out a bit as we approached the ship.  I hugged the wall, ran up to the stern of the beast and braved the thruster wash.  A security guard usually yells at me if I'm within hailing distance, but they were curiously absent.  Ralf Sifford (very experienced on paddleboard) was just ahead of me on his bullet.  He was taking no chances in the middle of the harbor.  He hugged the ship standing up and immediately proned it across the maelstrom off the bow of the ship.  I was really spooked going across that in a ski, remounting may have been a real hassle.  

Alan Cadiz was on the shuttle too.  He had done a run with Mark R. and was pissed that his headmount go pro had fogged.  He said he had some great footage, all ruined.  He too commented on the hellish harbor, even took some video of the ship tornado.  I'm on the shuttle at one.  I'll shoot some of it - if it's relevant.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 12:37:46 PM by LaPerouseBay »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #98 on: February 21, 2012, 05:05:50 AM »
The cruise ship was stirring up trouble in the harbor again Monday.  It wasn't worth posting though. 

Another fun day, about the same conditions.  It seemed wilder, but I was steering around more, attempting to match the lines of the others.  Much more work for me - great training.

maliko 2-20-12

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2012, 09:15:34 PM »
To give you an idea of what's been happening here the last four days, yesterday was 30-40mph from 1pm to 5pm. Gimmie shelter.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 22, 2012, 11:50:11 AM »
To give you an idea of what's been happening here the last four days, yesterday was 30-40mph from 1pm to 5pm. Gimmie shelter.

OK that makes sense. I was looking at the videos and thinking that it was pretty big out there. Sure looks like fun if you've got the skills to handle it.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #101 on: February 22, 2012, 07:12:29 PM »
And again today... it's just a shout away.  Don't need an iPod.  Had the Stones belting Gimmie Shelter for today's run as well.  Soooo perfect.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #102 on: February 23, 2012, 09:40:56 PM »
Wind was supposed to drop again today and maybe the wind speed was tiny notch lower but gliding was still in the great category.  This is an epic stretch of Maliko... in feb no less, not the lion of March.  Cold tho.  Every morning has me wearing long pants and long sleeves.  Moana Kea, on the BI, has a snowboard-able base. 

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: February 24, 2012, 12:42:30 AM »
It looked flat from my house, so I took Diane for a beach day and wound up surfing knee-high kiddie waves at Puamana and Launiopoko. Oh, well. I've chosen poorly before, likely will again. Sure has been a good Feb.

I actually got some stinkeye, in little fricken' kiddy waves. Weird. Had to call them on it. I mean, damn, I coulda been out there on a pool toy. .

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #104 on: February 24, 2012, 10:22:22 AM »
Wind was supposed to drop again today and maybe the wind speed was tiny notch lower but gliding was still in the great category.  This is an epic stretch of Maliko... in feb no less, not the lion of March.  Cold tho.  Every morning has me wearing long pants and long sleeves.  Moana Kea, on the BI, has a snowboard-able base. 

Hawaii is quite amazing isn't it?

http://www5.uhh.hawaii.edu/~webcam/mauna_kea/

This recent wind episode has been epic.  I'm so lucky it coincided with a week off of work.  That video of 2-19 still blows my mind.  We did a 3:30 shuttle, wind was still very, very good.  I wore the head cam.  The video isn't worth posting on the zone.  Lot's of glare and it's kinda boring.  The ski was up to speed on most of the bumps, so it appears small and slow.  But it wasn't.  It was a very fast run for me.  Super fun.  Harbor was jammed with oc-6's training.

Heres a link to the vid if anyone's interested.  Beware though, I need to figure out how to add music...

http://www.youtube.com/user/lorenco31?feature=mhee

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal