Author Topic: Oahu fire  (Read 6327 times)

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Oahu fire
« on: August 12, 2007, 09:04:00 PM »
I want to take a moment to offer my thoughts and prayers to all those affected by today’s fire on Oahu. We still do not know all the details, but the fire started this afternoon somewhere in the brush (old sugarcane and pineapple fields) at the top of  Kaukonahua road and as of 5:30pm was still going on. For those who have been to the North Shore, Kaukonahua is the “back road” or “mountain road” that runs parallel to Kam hwy and takes you out to Waialua and/or the rest of the North Shore.

The news is saying that fire is still out of control but we have been watching it all afternoon and it thankfully it does not appear to be as bad as earlier. They are saying the fire has already burned 1000 acres, but thankfully there are no reports of injuries or deaths. Dozens (if not more) of homes have been evacuated with Whitmore village providing a safe haven. Dozens of state and federal fire depts. are on the scene as are the RED CROSS and Civil Defense.

Around 4pm we tried to return my sons best friend to his home by the Paalaa Kai bakery and discovered the fire was right across the street. We stopped by the bakery to make sure the owners were doing okay and watched firsthand as the fire fighters and helicopters with water drop baskets fought the huge 30-40 foot flames across the street. These guy do an AMAZING job of not only fighting the fire but protecting homes as well.

I am most worried for the people who live right at “Thomson’s corner” and the residents of Waialua and “Otake camp”. Even if the homes did not catch fire it sure looked like the massive smoke hit their homes.

Again our prayers are with all affected.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2007, 09:07:57 PM by HaleiwaBill »

Blane Chambers

Re: Oahu fire
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2007, 10:22:28 PM »
Bummers.   This happens every so many years.     The last one came almost from Schofield side and burned all the way across to Kam Hwy.      Seen choke fires from small kid time back in the cane burning days that got real close to the houses by mistake.     We used to drive though some and the big spiders would be running all across the road trying to jump on your car.      I think things should be OK.    The guys at the Haleiwa station are good and have done this before.....   

Aloha,
Blane

www.paddlesurfhawaii.com

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2007, 10:35:49 PM »
Yea, I remeber that last fire that jumped the road, but you have seen it all. What a trip seeing all those cane spiders must have been?

Blane Chambers

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2007, 10:38:55 PM »
Yeah, I hate those buggers!   :o 

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2007, 05:20:23 PM »
Yeah, I hate those buggers!   :o 

I do too! We live on farmland so we are surrounded by dem bugga's! At least once a week I get my wife-n- kids demanding I kill the newest cane spider to the house. They especially seem to like my keiki's room, probably cause they dont clean up enough!

Anyway, the fire is about out but went through the night. Evidently it sparked up again early this morning (3 to 4am) but thankfully some trade showers help slow it down. Amazingly no people were hurt and no homes were lost. However, a number of people from Hukilau Loop and Otaki Camp are reporting smoke damage.

If anyone wants to read more here is a link from the Honolulu advertiser.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070813/NEWS13/708130351

Its a major relief to hear everyone is safe and sound. As Blane said, the local firefighters are well experienced with these fires and it shows by the fact that they saved many lives and homes.

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 08:45:05 PM »
UPDATE-the fire did not go out and now is in its third day. It continues to burn in steep and hard to fight areas and there is concern it climb over to the westside.

With big isle huricane concerns and earthquakes its been a crazy few days in paradise.

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 12:00:25 PM »
I hope the situation is improving, keep us posted.  We are visiting the mainland, but our thoughts are with you.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 12:30:35 PM by Chan »

HaleiwaBill

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 07:35:20 PM »
I hope the situation is improving, keep us posted.  We are visiting the mainland, but our thoughts are with you.

Will do an thanks Chan. The fire is still going but is now 45% contained. Here is a current link-

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2007/Aug/15/br/br7968425031.html

In other news hurricane "flossie" is now a tropical storm and passed without nearly as much rain or damaged as feared. Thank god!

Also, a 7.5 earthquake hit Peru our ago hand A tsunami advisory was posted for Hawaii.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
Today at 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal