Author Topic: Naish Glide 12 vs Starboard SUPer 12 6 vs ?  (Read 7091 times)

SkyeSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Naish Glide 12 vs Starboard SUPer 12 6 vs ?
« on: September 05, 2011, 09:21:55 PM »
First post and apologies for another which board thread, just seeking a bit of advice. Bought a 10 6 C4 iSUP at the beginning of the year and have been out on it as much as possible. Live in Vancouver, conditions are mostly flat but it often gets choppy, is a lot of boat traffic and some moderate wind/tidal swell at the right times. Feel comfortable on the board and manage to keep dry most of the time. I'm 183cm and 180-190 lb.

Storage no longer an issue so looking to add another board. Have enjoyed most getting out when there's a bit of a swell and can try to catch little runners so would really love a board that performed well under these conditions. Get to Tofino every now and then so something that could surf would be a bonus but doesn't figure too high in my decision. Lastly, have a 6 month old daughter that would love to take out in years to come so having a board that would be suitable would be great but seeing how this is a while off yet it's more of an after thought.

That said, I've read quite a lot and like the sound of the Naish Glide 12 and Starboard SUPer (Cruiser) 12 6. Also, read some positive things about the Big Easy although I guess less performance orientated?

Any thoughts on these boards or any other recommendations would be appreciated. Seems to be a few reasonable end of year deals around at the moment and if anyone within a few hours drive has anything they were considering selling I'd be interested to hear.

Thanks!
Liam

westbeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Naish Glide 12 vs Starboard SUPer 12 6 vs ?
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 05:36:27 AM »
welcome to the forum! I have ridden the Naish 12 glide, it is a little narrower than the SB Cruiser, but not by much. The glide will catch some bumps and swells. It is a flatwater board as they(Naish) call it. Never ridden the SB crusier. Can't say much about it. It looks to be a fun stable board. Should do fine in the swell/bumps. The kids will love ridding on a wider board, as much as you will appreciate it's stability with them on it. My son (5yo) loves riding on my wifes Surftech French Universal 10'6. I would suggest you try out these boards to get a personal feel for them. Kalavida Surf Shop - Kevin O'Brien - (Vernon) is having a sale too of some of their rental/demo boards. Take the weekend and go down and try their fleet of boards to decide what suits you best. They do not carry the Starboard line of sups though. They carry Naish/404/Surftech/Lakeshore/Rogue/Tahoe and maybe a couple others. Let us know how it goes. Cheers.

freetobeme

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 06:05:01 AM »
hey Skye~ welcome!

i have the SUPer 12'6 in cammo with the windsurf rigging.   it is a great board for everything but serious surfing.  sail it, fish off it, tandem, distance paddles (did 36 miles a few weeks back), does decent in small chop, does catch small waves too. 
I use my SUPer in creeks, bays, harbors and open ocean.  Very versatile, stable and holds up to a little beating.

it does not have a displacement hull....wich may be something you want unless surfing/sailing is important.

it is a great general go to board for other than Racing and Surfing.  tons of other boards out there too.  have a blast!

"Everything you want is on the other side of fear" - George Addair

CoreVac Cannibal BOMB 8'8

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 07:40:42 AM »
I've owned both boards your considering and prefer the Starboard Cruiser as the ultimate do everything board. It surfs well in waves up to waist high.

hdearing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 09:22:32 AM »
SkyeSup you may be looking at this the wrong way. Sounds to me like what you really need is 3 boards.

Board 1 - For your daughter. Wait until she is ready to have her own board. She is not going to be happy with anything that works well for you.

Board 2 - SUP for surfing. Get a board that is surf specific. There are a ton of posts on this forum concerning which is best for what/where/who. Just make sure to demo before you buy and realize that  what feels unstable today will feel better the more you surf it. I started on a 11 foot board and now want to get something in the 8-9 foot range. I am on west coast of Florida and it can be challenging to get a larger board into the size waves we have here. Point is, surfing requires very specific shapes which don't usually translate well into flat water performance.

Board 3 - Downwind/flat water. This could also be divided into 2 boards , but if you are forced to go with 1 here, the Naish Glide is an excellent downwind board. Other options could be the Bark Expedition or any of the Starboard designs which have enough rocker for the waves you will be downwinding in. Just make sure it is wide enough for your weight and experience level  For flat water riding/racing you should consider a displacement hull.

Hope this helps.

Hal

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=27.211794,-82.456025
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 11:37:07 AM »
Of the 3 boards you listed

Naish Glide 12 = best for flat water.
Starboard SUPer 12'6" = best for windsurfing (as this is the model with the retractable daggerboard)
Starboard Big Easy = best for surfing small waves and most stable for taking the little one along.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 06:46:40 PM »
Hi Skysup,

I will second Easyrider on his performance order. I live in Whiterock and know exactly what you mean for conditions. I own an 11,6 Laird, 12 Glide and 14 Glide.

The 12 Glide is my wife's favorite board and she will never let me sell it. It does everything " well ". I love my 14, it fricken rocks! That would be my choice. If you want to try just send me a message

SkyeSup

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 07:12:34 PM »
Thanks for all the advice! @hdearing - believe me if could get away with that I would but I'm having a hard enough time convincing my wife that I need 1 more board let alone 3! To clarify, my daughter would be riding on the board with me for now, be a while yet before she can paddle herself. I think I'm leaning towards a Starboard as I would have the flexibility to surf without sacrificing too much in the way of flat/downwind performance, but I can't get the glide out of my head, seems like I just missed a good deal on one at the weekend. Maybe can wait and get a glide 14 next :) @corlot - appreciate the offer to try out the glide, will keep that in mind. In the meantime, we're enjoying our nicest whether of the summer and the water looks inviting from our balcony so I'm going to head out for a sunset paddle...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal