Author Topic: Newbie  (Read 5179 times)

novaboy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Turtle's Board Room
    • Email
« on: May 01, 2008, 02:18:19 AM »
Hi Everyone,

I'm gonna take the plunge and get into SUP. The sport looks like a lot of fun and a killer workout. I need something to do when there is no wind for kiting or windsurfing. No one in my area has a SUP, but once people see it, I think it will catch on fast. It would be a great alternative for the kayak and rowing crowd.

I'm looking at an Oxbow SUP it's 11' x 28.5" x 4.1". You folks think this would be a good size for a beginner. I've been into boardsports for 20 years, and for the most part will be using it in flat water on a river. I'm 185lbs.

Cheers
Jimmy Lewis Canada Rep
http://turtlesboardroom.weebly.com
9'5 Striker, 12'6 Sidewinder, 5'11 Kwad, 8’6 Super Frank
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Newbie
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 05:56:52 AM »
Here's the place for the review http://www.kenalu.com/showcase-index/ ....Hey...who is that handsome guy with the big grin.... ;D. Lot's of others to look at too.

I liked the Oxbow. It was a little small for me at 260 but I'm getting one for my wife. She'll probably eventually outgrow it but once I'm 230 it will be a good second board for me....ssshhh don't repeat that.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 08:56:51 AM »
If that's the size board that you're looking at..you should also consider the new Naish 11'4" x 30"..It's due next month..and better construction than the Oxbow..IMO...and has features like the carry hand hole.

After having a board that you can carry with ease I would never buy one without this feature..You should test paddle a few boards..The Starboard 11'2" x 30" Ultimate Blend would be another good choice..IMO.

Good luck with it..and welcome.. ;D

DJ

novaboy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Turtle's Board Room
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2008, 02:56:24 PM »
Thanks guys,

I actually decided to expand my kiteboarding shop to carry sup's. So I'm gonna bring in some Jimmy Lewis boards. I have a couple of the 11ft all arounds coming in. They seem like a good board for conditions around here and for beginners. No one around here is into the sport, but I have a good feeling once some people see me cruising up the river on flat calm morning there will be a lot of interest.

Cheers
Jimmy Lewis Canada Rep

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2008, 07:36:42 PM »
You can't go wrong with the Jimmy's.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2008, 01:13:41 PM »
PSH 10'6" also another board which would be great.  At 185lbs will float you great and still work in all conditions.  Excellent construction

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2008, 01:36:01 PM »
At 155lbs, I am having a great time with my Jimmy 11'.

Weed

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2008, 02:39:24 PM »
Yikes! You're 155lbs and have a JL 11'? I bought a Jimmy Lewis 11' and weigh 220lbs and haven't even tried it yet. I wonder if I bought the wrong (to small) board?

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2008, 06:51:49 PM »
The Jimmy 11 will be fine weed. I was 260 when I was playing on bro Bill's and having fun. Took a little getting used to after my Starboard but it will be fine. When are you going to get to the coast?
Bob

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008, 07:36:05 PM »
I agree, you'll be fine on it. If anything, I'm small for it. A little hard for me to push it around in the waves, but it will catch most any bump. (at my age that is a good thing).

novaboy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Turtle's Board Room
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2008, 02:39:18 AM »
Thanks guys,

I'm 185lbs, so I figured I'd be OK on the JL11'. I have 2 of them coming, they are shipping out on Monday, so hopefully in a week I'll have them. I think the SUP's will make a great addition to the kiteboarding shop. I'm hoping to convert over a few of the rowers and kayakers around here too.

How long did most of you folks paddle on flat-choppy water before heading out in the surf? I'm just curious to how long the average learning curve is. I'm really anxious to start exploring the untapped surfing spots around here that are only accessible by sup.

Cheers
Jimmy Lewis Canada Rep

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2008, 10:06:50 AM »
I am an average "old guy" and I came from a w/s and kiteboard background with some prehistoric surfing and I paddled for about three minutes before catching my first wave. Note there was zero wind and the waves were less than knee high. That was it I was (am ) hooked.

Nate Burgoyne

• Sunset Status
  • 100% Pure Stoke!
    • View Profile
    • Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 10:14:58 AM »
How long did most of you folks paddle on flat-choppy water before heading out in the surf? I'm just curious to how long the average learning curve is. I'm really anxious to start exploring the untapped surfing spots around here that are only accessible by sup.
Good question. For me, I recall spending almost the whole surf season one year working on the basics.  I would paddle off to the side in the wind and chop (it was a really stormy year) for ever, and I loved it. I do, however, remember looking back at my favorite breaks during that time, drooling over the waves, but I knew I had to get the basics nailed first. I recall sacrificing a winter at my favorite breaks to get it down.

I'm glad I did and I'm sure everyone else is too. When you get to the lineup and you know what you're doing, and you're courteous, and non-aggressive, and people can tell that you're not out there figuring it out in the crowd, you'll make friends and everyone will be grateful that you took the time to really get it all down first...not just being able to survive, but to really get the basics wired first.

As I think about some of the rippingest stand up paddlers around here, I remember when they were first learning on the big Lairds, and they would paddle all over the place even when the waves were good, they would paddle up the coast, to the buoy, down the coast, all over. Then when they were ready to start riding waves, it was so natural to them, they were welcomed to the community.  And, these are the local surfers who could jump in the lineup from the get-go if they really wanted to, but, to earn respect you got to show respect, and all those ripping surfers have been examples to me and, I'm sure, many others.
Founder/Editor: Stand Up Paddle Surfing Magazine
Author/Illustrator: The Stand Up Paddle Book
SUP Instructor: Rainbow Watersports Adventures
Web Design/Marketing: Integrity Online Marketing LLC

patfly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 12:08:49 PM »
Nate's comments are very important. The break that I paddled out to was and is deserted. It is right outside where I stay on Maui and in a dozen years of going there, I have seen only 2 other surfers.
Above all respect other water users. These big boards can do lots of harm.

SteveF

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008, 03:43:42 PM »
I come from a windsurfing, surf ski background and I took my SUP board into the surf after a couple of tries on flat water, but it was just knee high, very smooth and nobody else around. I have continued mix it up between flat water and surf ever since. The most important ingredient to be able to get into the surf early is smooth water, it took several months practice before I could handle choppy water and quite a bit longer before I could paddle out confidently in a decent sized surf.         

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 16, 2024, 12:40:25 AM
post SIC Raptor Foil and Board For Sale
[Classifieds]
addapost
April 15, 2024, 04:25:26 PM
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 15, 2024, 02:40:38 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal