Author Topic: Old windsurf board  (Read 10196 times)

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
Old windsurf board
« on: April 25, 2008, 01:54:49 PM »
There are a lot of old windsurf boards in the attic, something like 12'x26'1/2.
Is it worth for SUPing downwind? any experience?

tonemike

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Old windsurf board
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2008, 11:34:22 PM »
i started out on one of these and it was great practice and a great workout in lakes.  had a blast.  made my 11'2" starboard feel very stable!  i enjoyed the windsurfer a whole lot then, but i really don't want to get on it again.
-mike

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008, 05:59:32 PM »
I too started out on one.  12'6" X 30".  I must say that for something I bought for $50, it works VERY well for cruising.  I dare say it works better for paddling through chop than my "real" SUB, due to it's pointy/kayak-like nose.  It's only drawbacks seem to be it's out-of-water weight (38lbs) & it's ugly.  I still pull it out on occasion to let friends use to learn.  If you don't have the $ for a true down-wind board, I would say this could be the way to go.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008, 07:06:01 PM »
Nuttin' wrong with an old windsurf board. Last summer I took an old Aitken 11' board out from under my beach house in Manzanita and paddled on it. waswn bad, especially once i took the footstaps off. It was better in the choppy, short period, multi-direction "swell" than my 12'6 Starboard.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

tonemike

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008, 01:20:59 AM »
holy smokes ponobill.  you get around.  manzanita too?  i take my boys out camping to nehalum bay a few times a year.  i love it down there, but (unlike you :)) i do miss the warm water.  what time of year are you in OR?  it'd be fun to paddle with someone periodically.
-mike
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 01:37:20 AM by tonemike »

supguam

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008, 03:52:38 AM »
i STARTED OUT WITH A fANATIC SHARK 8'8" OR 8'6" X 30 WIDE SINGLE RAKED  BACKED FIN ATTACHED THE LEASH TO THE FOOTSTRAP PLUGS.WITH THIS BOARD WITH ITS NOSE SCOOP YOU COULD TAKE OFF LATE AND IT NEVER PEARLS. GOT THE IDEA WHEN I SAW IVAN RIDEING 7' KIDS BOARD ON YOU TUBE SO I TRIED IT AND IT WORKS :)ONLY THING ITS A BIT SLOW NOT MUCH GLIDE TO IT AND YAWS AND YOU NEED TO SWITCH THE PADDLE TO THE OTHER SIDE.. BOARD IS SUPER STABLE EVEN IN CHOP...TRY IT

gatorboy

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008, 11:11:17 AM »
i STARTED OUT WITH A fANATIC SHARK 8'8" OR 8'6" X 30 WIDE SINGLE RAKED  BACKED FIN ATTACHED THE LEASH TO THE FOOTSTRAP PLUGS.WITH THIS BOARD WITH ITS NOSE SCOOP YOU COULD TAKE OFF LATE AND IT NEVER PEARLS. GOT THE IDEA WHEN I SAW IVAN RIDEING 7' KIDS BOARD ON YOU TUBE SO I TRIED IT AND IT WORKS :)ONLY THING ITS A BIT SLOW NOT MUCH GLIDE TO IT AND YAWS AND YOU NEED TO SWITCH THE PADDLE TO THE OTHER SIDE.. BOARD IS SUPER STABLE EVEN IN CHOP...TRY IT

I think that vid of Ivan is from the STAND UP PADDLE SURFING-Hawaiian Style-Volume 1 DVD.  Seemed to float him well, but what a short board, I thought.  How wide and thick are 7' kids boards anyway?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008, 12:20:26 PM »
I used a big old plastic 'wally' windsurfer for a year before upgrading..I still use it for teaching friends..It works great..IMO.

The only problem is that they don't work well in the waves..and they are very,very heavy lifting onto and off  the roof of the car.

DJ

Princess

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2008, 04:12:13 PM »
I started on one and it was fine. It wasn't quite as responsive but it worked and I certainly got a feel for it.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008, 11:20:01 AM »
tonemike--I live in Portland half the year, I've had a place at Manzanita for at least twenty years. Been a windsurfer for about 30. We'll be back in Portland for the summer. I figure on a couple of long surf trips down the coast in between races (I also race a vintage race car called Peyote--an appropriate name--"it's not a drug, officer, it's a sacrament"). I'll also be paddling flatwater in Portland and anywhere else that's handy to try to keep the gut in check.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Paddle-Plappe

• Peahi Status
  • Hoe he'e nalu stoked
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008, 11:47:15 AM »
I remember i tried once to use a wave windsurf board for surfing but it didn't work well.
What is your feeling about riding this kind of wave riding board with a paddle?

May be it's not wide enough. I've tried to ride my 9'2 longboard with a paddle but it's not wide enough for manoeuvres.

Here's a picture of the fanatic shark:

I know the most important is the scoop rocker but the outline looks ok.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2008, 05:41:27 PM »
No performance windsurfer will surf for beans, you'd be better off on a patio door. They are designed to plane. You can paddle them fine, but they won't surf. The old  windsurfers that are not optimized for planing work fine in waves. Well, I shouldn't say FINE but they don't simply not work. I'm sure Mr. Foote could chime in here and tell us exactly why.

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 06:10:32 AM »
In addition to PB's point about the design of the board, a big issue is the width. I have messed around with several of the prefered older boards, and the wider they are, the better they work for cruising around and learning. I have not found one as wide as 30 inches which would be great to mess around with for exploring, even with a kid on the front. Most are around 261/2 inches wide wich takes some effort to stay balanced,  but every inch wider is noticably easier to learn on.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal