Author Topic: Paddle Jacket recommendations.  (Read 10948 times)

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle Jacket recommendations.
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 02:06:47 PM »
I have a surf cap, booties and neo gloves so I can move back and forth, as needed. I plan to start with adding the cap, but I may have to do my own "Pono-Design" on making one that doesn't make you look like such a weirdo.

I currently wear a baseball cap backwards over mine but there has to be a better option. I know the trick of heat loss through your head, so well. That's why I loved the hood on the Hyperflex rashie.

Here's a nice idea.

http://drylids.com/

supthecreek

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 09:04:16 PM »
You didn't mention if you wear a rash guard...

I find that if I simply add a THICK rash guard under any wetsuit, it is the equivalent of adding another mil. to the suit. I have one rasher that feels like it's double thick, and it REALLY helps keep you warm when it gets windy and chilly. Simple, Easy and an overall good match.

ps ... try to find one with a high collar.... sort of turtleneckish : )

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2012, 04:18:07 AM »
surfcowboy, Don't be a slave to fashion and get yourself some fuzzy rubber for your head.  NEO is good but fuzzy is better.  NRS makes the Mystery line of rubber and fleece head gear that will keep you warm and comfortable.  There was  a company called Mountain Surf that made a full line of branded thermal gear called Fuzzy Rubber.  I still use my MS fuzzy rubber skull cap from 13 year ago.  They also made a FR pullover vest, Bert Reynolds style, that I don't wear due to weight gain and other more comfortable under layering.  My problem is that I get too hot so I only use the fuzzy stuff on my head. 

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 02:12:38 PM »
In winter, my main suit is the 4/3 Xcel Infinity with a neoprene hooded vest over.  When the air and/or water is in the 40's or less, I layerw with a capeline top under the suit, cheap man's version of a patagonia suit.

when the windchill gets in the teens and 20's (this week) i have a decade old goretex Kokatat paddling jacket that works like a charm to cut wind out and keeps heat in.  i've cut out the wrist gaskets to put on easier.  here's a small pic of the this combo in a snow storm in Seattle two days ago, wind chill was 16F, water about 44F. 
http://stokemagazine.blogspot.com/2012/01/surfing-storm-wind-swell-in-puget-sound.html
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

Bald Brother

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 02:34:40 PM »
Live in FL and the Quiksilver jacket works great for me. I usually wear a rashguard underneath.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 08:25:04 PM »
I've decided to try some polypro/capilene under the suit and cover my damn head. It seems so counter-intuitive to separate myself from my nice lining but I guess if I use good stuff, it's just more of the same.

Thanks for the NRS stuff, I have a surf cap and you're right. I'm gonna have to just choose comfort and besides I can impersonate that guy in the Rincon video and H2O man can dump me from time to time. ;)

Rob, lordy man, you North Country guys blow me away with your dedication.

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2012, 02:08:51 PM »
per North Country paddling, it's not necessarily dedication but rather - if you want to go paddling, you got to put some clothes on!  go or don't go is my motto.  and i'm used to it, so no worries.  After coming back from Maui over xmas, I was surfing a  day later in 43F water with my normal stuff on, didn't think twice.  also no line ups.  :)
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2012, 07:49:06 PM »
Even here in LA, Winter is the time to avoid the crowds. That's one thing I've learned. Any gear purchases are more than paid for in extra waves.

Also, tried on my new 1mm rashguard and that'll fit fine under my 3/2 (Yeah I forgot I had that). I'll report back on that vs a polypro top under the suit to pay back the knowledge here.

Thanks for the suggestions.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2012, 08:25:33 PM »
After a couple of sessions, I'm happy to report, polypro under the 3/2 is pretty hard to beat.

Thanks to the zoners who pitched in. It looks like with something on my head and a polypro underwear top under my suit I'm good for most LA conditions. By the way, I'm wearing a $12 one and it's fine. Polypropylene is the thing though, amazing how different it is from a rash guard.

I also wore wetsuit gloves today for the first time and I'm a believer. I stayed out way longer than I usually would have been able to.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal