Author Topic: SUP in Lakes and Rivers?  (Read 3849 times)

texafornia

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
SUP in Lakes and Rivers?
« on: April 19, 2008, 07:51:58 AM »
I'm an avid longboarder, but totally new to the SUP.  Don't even have a board yet.

Are the boards really made so you can paddle around in still water?  Faster or slower than a kayak?

I often go to a lake in East Tennessee that is part of the Tennessee River shipping channel.  Huge barges plow through there all the time.  Has anybody been able to catch a ride on a wave made from inland waterway barges at full speed?  The waves are just barely too small to longboard on.

I'd also like to paddle it around to explore coves and inlets instead of using a kayak.  Is this reasonable?

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SUP in Lakes and Rivers?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008, 08:07:09 AM »
I'm not sure about kayaks..but they are faster than goat boats...Here's what happened to me the other day.

DJ

If I had a dollar for every goat boater that had a go on my SUP board and said..That's it..I'm getting one and selling my surfski..I'd have at least....arrr...3 dollars.. :D

Today I met up with this guy (Peter) as I was heading off on my daily paddle and I said that I might join him seeing that we were headed off in the same direction.

He said "Do you think you can keep up on that thing..because I'm on a training run..and I'm going way out and around the breakwater"..I said 'Yeah..I think so'...and we headed off.

We'd only been paddling a few minutes and he was splashing about while I just cruised along effortlessly....and we started to talk..I soon realized that he couldn't talk that easy because he was so puffed trying to keep up with me.. ;D

We slowed and he caught his breath and said..Jeeez..Those things really move don't they.

I said would you like to have a go and he said sure..I'd love to...I suggested we head over to the little beach at the pier and he could have a go.

After adjusting my paddle for him..and running through a few basics..he was off on my board..I said take your time..I'm in no hurry.

He paddled around the boats and came back..I said you can go for longer if you like and he said thanks..This is fantastic..I want one..and he headed off again.

He eventually came back and said that he loves my board..with the woodgrain deck and all..and wants to get one just like it..btw..I was on my 11'6" Naish.

So..I think goat boats will be going cheap if this keeps up....I took these pics today of Peter on my board.

DJ

« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 08:12:37 AM by DavidJohn »

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008, 08:40:02 AM »
yes, texafornia these boards are perfect for still water paddling, people have been catching wakes of all types... standing waves in rivers too! there are different types of boards and many options in between. so depending on your board as well as the type of kayak you're racing, my experience is that it's probably faster than the squirts but slower than the sea kayaks especially if you don't want to make any sacrifices for wave riding. the advantages are that you have an option to stand, kneel,  sit or even lay down. this creates a whole other aspect for scoping out the scene. while standing, you can see farther out, the perspective down into the water is much better from up there too.

welcome aboard! try a few different types if you get the opportunity.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 09:33:11 AM by shapeshifter »
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008, 09:28:17 AM »
One thing I've been meaning to do is to get down to the Cape Cod canal and catch the wake of some of the barges as they come out.

Funny....just last night I noticed a much thicker more regular set of waves come through at the break I was on. The regular swells were just knee high mostly. It's 2 miles out and I can see the barges about 2 miles further out as they pass. After that I paid attention. Another barge went by...sure enough...a short time later another larger very evenly spaced set rolled through. Still small , thigh high, maybe hip, but thick and fun. A barge passes by about every 10 minutes like clockwork all day long every day..... ;D. The  tankers put up an even better wake.

There is a canoe race on a local river May 4th. I may show up in my wetsuit just to scare everyone..... :o

I spent much of last fall learning to standup on small tidal inlets. Great fun to explore. You can see so much more from the high vantage point. Don't forget to bring a rod and reel. Great for fishing too....I could see the schoolie striper (5-10 lbs) all over the place and had a blast catching them on light tackle.

As for speed. I did 9 or so miles in somewhat crappy conditions the other night in just over 3 hours. I'm 50, 260 lbs, trying to get into shape for a big paddle this summer. I just started 8 months ago and had never surfed other than boogie and body previously. So its not me its the board....these things can move!
http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=1230.0

You are going to be totally addicted!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2008, 09:42:30 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

shapeshifter

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008, 09:46:50 AM »
heheheh... get ready for all the reactions stoneaxe. i raced chicago's flatwater classic last year (and will again this year). the route was straight through downtown. there was an audible gasp when i shoved off into the river because most of us registered for the study to see how people react to the water. the winds and the current were against us the whole way. there was every kind of fast boat  on the water including dragon boats, kayaks, canoes, and surf skis... i was on a rented mistral because the pope trisect (which could have been faster) needed constant repair. had conversations with most people that passed me up and wound up coming in perty close to last but had a blast of a time. won a prize too for something or other.
whoever invented the hole... knew nothing.
...ooooO...................
...(.......)......Ooooo....
....\.....(.......(.......).....
.....\.__)........)...../.....
...................(__./......

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008, 09:55:16 AM »
I think this is waht is going to make SUP so popular.  Yes it is so fun in the surf, riding waves, etc.  But you don;t need surf to have fun.  I enoy doing downwinders as well, and being on a river or lake i think would be great.  As far as a kayak, if you are comparing SUP to a sit-on-top kayak I would say that the SUP is going to be faster in some cases.  It also depends on the size of SUP to kayak but the SUP is by no means slow.  Its a great workout, its fun and anybody in the family can do it.  Get out there!

greatdane

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Paddle Surf Northwest
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008, 01:21:59 PM »
Where I live, Bellingham, Wa, is the southern most stop for the Alaska Ferry.  Comes in every Thursday eve. then leaves Friday morning.
It is 300+ feet and puts up about a 2-3 foot wake.  Totally rideable!  Also have a 200 foot Foss tug boat that cruises through, also with a surf-able wake.  I think flat water SUP'n is what is going to make this sport explode, considering how many inland surfer wana-bes like me there are.

I have tried to keep up with many different kayakers.  No problem with big, fat boats, but next to a race surf ski, I can't begin to keep up.  Maybe if my Vortice EVER ships, I'll have a chance.
Kialoa Paddles
Fibre Glas Fin Co
OnIt! Pro
Monster And Sea Clothing

texafornia

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008, 01:27:33 PM »
Holy crap, DavidJohn!  That picture is awesome!

I'm sold.  So how much can I expect to pay for a used one in OK condition?  And the paddle, too?

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal