Author Topic: Great Video  (Read 6338 times)

Admin

• Administrator
  • Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • StandUpZone
    • Email
Great Video
« on: June 24, 2011, 05:42:06 AM »

Starts slow but gets awesome.  Fletcher Burton.  Gotta like this guy.  I broke an ankle and dislocated a shoulder just wathching.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 06:33:35 AM by Admin »

Water Monkey

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Great Video
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 06:15:54 AM »
That guy is full on! Some of the drops he is taking are crazy! Get's back up and does it all again too!

WaterDog

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 07:41:20 AM »
Great video.  That guys either got big kahoneas or is 1 sandwich too short of a picnic.  Either way you've got to like the fact that he does not give up. 

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 10:00:24 AM »
Great quality video, Don Quixote adventure, good music... great backup team.  Looked like a Cheech and Chong movie.  I laughed throughout.  Reminded me of Gallipolli.  This guy woulda gotten a posthumous medal for bravery in WWI.  Thanks Admin... great find

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 10:08:54 AM »
Cool video.  Tough conditions for standup but I'll bet the area is off the charts beautiful.  

He can probably kill that run in a kayak.  He and all his hippie friends are probably aces on MTB's.  And snowboards.

Support your local shaper

sbsup11

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2011, 10:53:09 AM »
RAD video! Can't believe he gets pinballed down the whole chute, and just goes right back up for another!

Weasels wake

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2011, 01:58:43 PM »
Okay, okay, somebody has to say it.

What a complete idiot!!!  :D :D :D

I'm amazed the board is still in one piece, but there is a positive here,
I think the Jackass crew just found a replacement.  ;)
It takes a quiver to do that.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2011, 02:44:38 PM »
Okay, okay, somebody has to say it.

What a complete idiot!!!  :D :D :D

I'm amazed the board is still in one piece, but there is a positive here,
I think the Jackass crew just found a replacement.  ;)

x2. I think he enjoys the abuse. ;D

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2011, 02:51:30 PM »
if you know Fletcher you would know he is definitely not an idiot-he just charges everything super hard-this guy has some serious skills-hes a team Tomahawk guy and if he didnt have to run his business full time would be world class on both surf skis and surfing/sup surfing. Have seen him stand up on his little snub nosed wave ski and go backside and use his kayak paddle to drag and get almost barelled-then kick out the back and do it again.
Psycho but a Psycho that has the skills and is uber confident?!, yes, but not an idiot.
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

JT

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2011, 03:11:19 PM »
This video makes me think of the first attempts at manned flight. Lots of dudes crashed, burned and even died before that German guy got the glider thing going good, and Orville and Wilber made the history books. Come to think of it, I think the German guy died too after crashing his giant lawn dart.

So props to Fletcher and crew, but even after watching this video, I cannot envision how they will make it work, much less make it fun. But it sure was fun to watch. Please pass the pain meds...

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 04:18:18 PM »
Wow - you can't say he didn't try.

It really doesn't look much like stand up paddling - more like stand up / fall down / stand up again / fall down some more / etc.

Makes sense that he now wears a tail bone pad.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

NZ WHOA

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re:
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011, 05:41:35 PM »
Seems like he slides out alot. Molded in fins like the plastic sups would probably work better.

maui wave warrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2011, 05:55:19 PM »
Simply not possible but then I am sure he knows that already. Surprised he was even willing to take the risk just to make the video for the entertainment of others. Whatever floats ones boat I guess!

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2011, 07:41:23 AM »
Thrillbillies have been riding rivers on crazy shite for generations.   When they eat it they typically die (but less frequently pick up the remaining beers and go home).  Not our guy Fletcher.  He just keeps at it, broken leg and all.  His tenacity and skill are truly admirable.  
I don’t think he’s a madman or an idiot as some have suggested.  He’s just wired differently than the rest of us.  We look at those conditions and see a hundred different ways to die.  He looks at it and sees a chance to have a little fun.  The level it takes to get his adrenaline pumping must be off the charts.  This is likely a genetic trait like all others with a sliding scale from complete wuss to fear doesn't register.  Complete wuss has a tendancy to run away and therefore pass on their boring genes.  Fear doesn't register always charges but rarely survives to reproduce.  

From the Vimeo page:

- 7x’s US Waveski National Champion
 - 2x’s US Surfkayak Champion
 - 2nd at Worlds Surfkayak in Brazil
 - 2nd at Worlds Waveski in New Zealand
 - 3x’s California dungeons and dragons champion (not really, he wrote that in)

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 08:29:18 AM by Admin »

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2011, 08:29:21 AM »
Great stuff. Idiot? hardly. Two years from now you can look at this and say "Lots of guys do that". These sports change fast, and whitewater SUP is in it's infancy. I've seen it many times. Stuff we used to do on our motocross bikes in 1976 that people considered insane now looks incredibly lame. Little kids can do it. In fact no one would even consider a crossed up head high jump to even be a stunt--people go bigger and much wilder on bicycles. When we were doing it on motorcycles with 4 inches of suspension travel people who saw us thought we were absolutely insane. Evel Kneivel was famous for jumps that Travis Pastrana would do with a backward double on a tricycle.

Equipment, technique, and simply knowing that something is possible will change whitewater SUP until you see guys doing something at this level and think "when is he going to do something exciting".
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal