Author Topic: 2011 Starboard 14 Coast Runner  (Read 25165 times)

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: 2011 Starboard 14 Coast Runner
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2011, 05:26:35 AM »
Hi Wavecloud......another Dave, eh? Guess that's why we have forum names...

Nice blog/adventure.....always nice to see other parts of the world from a different perspective. 

As for the Point, that sure looks like a SIC/Raaphorst designed board....maybe some other more informed Zoners could chime in about now....

No idea how that would compare to the CoastRunner, but if it is in fact a Raaphorst downwind type board, then you'll be very happy with the CoastRunner, as it is definitely downwind oriented.  I'm not sure if you could load it up as much as the Point that you had, but I guess that depends on your expectations (of performance...)

Here's a few more pics of me on the board the other day in some pretty flat water. It shows a bit better the waterline of the board loaded...with me (190lbs).  Still some rocker in the nose showing, but not as much as you might think given the pic of it floating unloaded.

David S.

It ain't over until the fat board sinks....

hdearing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2011, 08:54:41 AM »
Thanks for the additional pics Dave. Definitely less rocker than the Elite Race. I recently have had the opportunity to paddle a 14 Bark Expedition extensively and although it is an awesome board, I seem to always grab for my Elite Race when it is time to hit the water. With my luck Starboard will introduce a 16 or 18 foot board which will be my next "must have" board (replacing my current "must have", the Naish 17). I need a better paying job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lee

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2011, 10:40:08 PM »
I wonder if we started a 18' starboard rumor could it come true..??
At least I can dream.....
Livin the dream @LEE's SUP

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2011, 11:47:46 AM »
Definitely a much tighter water line when you are on the board. I looked at my SB race unweighted in the water yesterday and it looked very similar to yours with the amount of rocker above the water, but once on the board it's not excessive. Makes sense. The CR looks like a really good compromise between flat water paddling and DW performance. Keep the updates coming.

sbsup11

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile

rkdjones

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2011, 12:19:30 PM »
Sorry for getting a bit off subject, but Wow Wavecloud.  What a great adventure.  I thought you had to be a different species to tour on a SUP (like the guy who circumnavigated Vancouver Island in Canada).  But it looks like it might be doable for even somebody like me.  I used to kayak tour here in Puget Sound (NW USA) and would love to load up a board with camping gear.  Robert

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2011, 02:44:15 PM »
sbsup11:   I wondered about the name right from the start.  The Surftech Pearson "Coast Runner" might actually be a good fit for Wavecloud's touring aspirations.  Great rep as a loaded workhorse.  Totally different animal from the Starboard Coastrunner.

That being said, notice what board that Bart de Zwart is using for his Hawaiian Island paddle...the Open Ocean 14....same board as the CoastRunner 14 with more rocker in the nose. http://www.sup-crossing.blogspot.com/
Note his load.

Back on topic....I paddled the CR upwind then downwind yesterday, "earning" my downwinder....this board is the cat's ass.  Not that I've ever figured out the exact meaning or origin of that saying... ???  Just sayin'.

I also returned to using the Allison "batfin" after trying the stock dolphin style fin that came with the board.  I think it's a better fin for my inland lake paddling, which more often than not, turns into a flat water workout this time of year.....

David S.

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2011, 09:35:25 PM »
Muskoka SUP, nice looking board. How long did it take to get to Silent Sports after you ordered it?

Interesting to see that the 14' Coast Runner is $400 cheaper than the 14' Open Ocean.

I'd also like to hear how you find the board compared with the Bark Dominator. I've paddled the Dominator a few times and like it very much.  Although I've never paddled the Coast Runner, I'm guessing that the Dom is better for upwind and flat water conditions while the Coast Runner is better for downwind.

I usually paddle a Starboard NEW, which I've just found to be a blast in mild downwind conditions - it would be fun in heavier conditions as well if I could stay on it..maybe with more practice.  I've got a Starboard SUPer 12'6" which is very nice in rough downwind conditions but I'll probably sell it and get something a little faster with better glide so I'm thinking about the Dominator, but the Coast Runner sure is tempting for downwinders.

If you ever get down to Toronto and want to paddle, let me know. Are you coming to the Toronto races in early July? One of them is a "downwinder" - although it's unlikely there will be much wind on Lake Ontario in July.

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2011, 11:16:34 PM »

Back on topic....I paddled the CR upwind then downwind yesterday, "earning" my downwinder....this board is the cat's ass.  Not that I've ever figured out the exact meaning or origin of that saying... ???  Just sayin'.

Well I've heard of a board being the 'duck's nuts' not so sure about the cat's ass though ;D

« Last Edit: June 23, 2011, 11:19:34 PM by JonathanC »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2011, 12:22:18 AM »
cat's pajamas JC, cat's pajamas.

:)
Support your local shaper

Muskoka SUP

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2011, 05:12:30 AM »
Argosi:  I ordered it from Silent Sports back in the beginning of March.  When I picked it up a week or so ago, I was told that it was the first Coast Runner recieved by the North American distributor, Trident in Vancouver.   8)

Not sure why the price diff between the C.R. and the Open Ocean. Supply and demand?

As for comparing the Dom to the C.R., I still haven't paddled them side by side. My take on it would be to say that they are pretty equal in upwind speed for me....the Dom is about 260 litres in volume, the C.R. about 310, so that may have a bit of an influence on how they paddle.  They both feel similar in that they have a slight roll side to side, ie. initial stability.  That firms up once under power.  The C.R. is very stable in side chop as well....I have yet to swim paddling it.   Downwind, I'm guessing the C.R. would leave the Bark in its wake very quickly.  It's just that good.

All that being said, I wouldn't mind having a Dominator too.  A bit more of a flatwater race board.....

Toronto?  Well, I saw the race posted somewhere else, and if it turned out to truly be a "downwinder" then by all means I'd make an effort to show up.  Like you said though, not much wind in July and August.  I have a lot of other downwind runs much closer to me  (Parry Sound area, Collingwood - Wasaga Beach, Lake Simcoe etc) when the wind blows.   P.M me if you're heading up this way this summer, lots of places to hook up for a paddle.

David S.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2011, 03:45:32 PM »
Argosi - - I have both Carbon and Epoxy Coast Runners in stock. 
And Open Ocean in Epoxy as well.   

Just sayin'

Warren
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

coolhead

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2011, 04:24:13 PM »
What is the weight difference between the Epoxy and Carbon Coast Runners?

Coolhead

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2011, 05:43:37 PM »
What is the weight difference between the Epoxy and Carbon Coast Runners?

Coolhead

I have friends with both and felt them both.. You can notice the difference but it's not huge.. I'm guessing about 2kgs (4-5lbs)

DJ

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2011, 04:00:21 PM »
cat's pajamas JC, cat's pajamas.

:)
"Cat's ass" in within a gnat's ass of "cat's pajamas", so who gives a rat's pajamas?   ;D  lmfpo

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal