Author Topic: Paddle Grip.. How to.  (Read 4872 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Paddle Grip.. How to.
« on: May 30, 2011, 04:32:21 PM »
I've been after some C4 type paddle shaft grip for ages but with no shops here selling it it's been on my 'to do' list.. I thought one day I'll mail order some.. Well imagine my smile when I saw some Naish paddle grip recently.. You beauty.. Well yesterday I got around to sticking it on and took some pictures for those who may do it themselves one day.

The most important thing is to stick it in the right spot.. I put some grip on a home made paddle years ago and I remember putting two pieces of tape at each end of where I thought the grip should go and went paddling.. I was surprised and how wrong I was and I stopped and moved the tape half a dozen times before I got the right spot.. So this time I did the same thing with my Kialoa.. See the two bits of tape in this pic.

The first thing I did was peal back one edge and cut a thin strip of the backing paper off.

Then I placed the sticky strip on the paddle making sure to get the edge straight down the center of the shaft.. and don't push it down too hard because you may have to unstick it.. It's important to have the join down the rear side of the paddle shaft when paddling so the front side (that your fingers wrap around) has no join.

Now carefully wrap the grip around the shaft and check that the edges meet up perfectly.. If it's a bit up or down just unstick the thin strip and try again till it's perfect.. Mine was spot on first time.

Once right press down the sticky strip hard and start to unpeal the backing paper on the rest of the grip.

Start pressing down the grip by sliding your fingers backwards and forwards along the grip stating from the strip that's already stuck making sure it's smooth and without air bubbles.. It's pretty easy.

Next you need to get some scissors and cut the excess off.. Note that different shafts are different diameters so this excess will vary.

Once that's done you need a sanding block.. I have an old one that I made by wrapping some sand paper around a scrap piece of wood.

Gently start to sand the edge.. This stuff sands easy so take it easy and try and do long even strokes and slow down once almost done.

This Naish grip is nice and thin so shouldn't add too much to the diameter of the shaft.

If you're careful with your sanding you should end up with a very professional job.

It's worth taking your time and doing the two pieces of tape thing so you know you have it in the right position.. I've seen so many of these grips stuck on in the wrong spot.. Too high or too low.. See my last pic (sorry Craig) .. Actually Craig had his C4 grip put on by the shop.. You can't trust them to get it right.

DJ

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Paddle Grip.. How to.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2011, 06:41:43 PM »
Great work DJ  Thanks. 

SwampSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Paddle Grip.. How to.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2011, 06:45:29 PM »
DJ--I am always amzed at your posts.  Always detailed and informative.  I mean, who would take  the time to show the sanding of the joint.  Amazing.

Are you or were your a photojournalist?

Please, keep em coming.  This newb truly appreciates it.
If you are not living on the edge; you are taking up too much room!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal