Author Topic: iSUP advice for big guy?  (Read 3332 times)

EileenW

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
iSUP advice for big guy?
« on: May 23, 2011, 01:05:24 PM »
Hey there! My bf and I are looking at inflatable SUPs (we don't live all that close to water so something we could easily travel with is preferred). We're a little stumped on which would best suit him - he's 6'3 and 260 lbs. Any advice?

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: iSUP advice for big guy?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2011, 02:06:41 PM »
pretty good thread on this here:  http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=11473.0

I like the tongue and cheek in the SUP industry that puts out a product known as the "Fat Ass Quad" (forgive me the ungentlemanly language--it's their's).  As a big guy myself, I use it as incentive to not get any bigger....

Hope that helps.  I don't know enough to render my own opinion, but I've passively researched this.  I'm close to the water now, but an inflatable interests me if I ever do any travelling.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

EileenW

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2011, 02:55:44 PM »
Thank you :) I'll take a read through that thread!!

EileenW

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2011, 08:51:28 PM »
Has anyone tried the Advanced Elements Hula 11' iSUP?  ... not necessarily for a big rider (more for me), but just wondering if anyone has had any experience with it...  ???

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 06:52:03 AM »
I'm the same size as you BF and I've been in SUP's since the beginning (5yrs ago) I've tried (I own a shop) EVERY inflatable around I have yet to find one even close to stiff enough for folks my size.

Even regular SUP's are not generally sized for my size either But in hard boards there are at least options that work

If you are interested in more details please email me (KarabaszJP@aol.com) or call our office 484 515b 5758

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

EileenW

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 05:36:04 PM »
Thank you JimK - I will certainly pass your message along.

For myself I am considering a Hula 11' iSUP - have you any experience or thoughts on that particular one?

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2011, 11:05:02 AM »
We have done demo's in side by side comparison between inflatables and "Hard boards" with a bunch of people (different sizes and abilities in flatwater and small waves.

No one prefered the inflatables. I bet if you look around I bet there is a storage/transportation solution for you to use a regular board.

Let me know where you are maybe I can help (steer you to some options)

JimK
www.extremewindsurfing.com

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal