Author Topic: Wow, Morelli and Melvin!  (Read 13740 times)

adios pantalones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Wow, Morelli and Melvin!
« on: May 21, 2011, 02:16:40 PM »
I mean, effing WOW.  :o

Picked up a lightly used Boardworks M+M design on the classifieds here.

14'x27" with their wave piercing bow.  I'm familiar with M+M from their yacht designs. They have done some smokin catamarans from the 165lb A-Cats to big performance cruising cats in the 60' range.

Rather than the board shapes coming from a soul shaper with a surf background, this board has its roots in computer models and test tanks.

It. Flat. Rocks!  I went out for my morning 5 miler and  took 10 minutes off my PR on my 12'6" Hobie Hellcat. This while still struggling with the wobblies getting used to a new board 2" skinnier.

This thing is slicker than a teflon banana peel.
I hope I can get it mastered for the Bay2Bay in 3 weeks!

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
Re: Wow, Morelli and Melvin!
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2011, 09:10:38 PM »
come on butt cheeks you know the rule-no pimping your board without photos! ;)
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

adios pantalones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2011, 09:26:24 PM »
  ::) butt cheeks???  I prefer to be addressed as Mr. Pants if you please!   :D

Best I can do is the Corp. site.
I'll take a few in the morning and post.

the board is the 14zoomzoom

http://www.boardworkssup.com/boards/mm.php

« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 09:28:45 PM by adios pantalones »

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2011, 09:44:49 PM »
OK Mr. Butt Cheeks... Candi will challenge zoom zoom any time...

Will be paddling her on Monday before work... just picked up the fin... but the swell just won't die... so no flatwater until Monday morning...

By the way... that spot South of San O' was kind of good today... can you say sucking barrels?  I thought so... Just a few of the really big sets left... with the NW swell breaking things up a bit...

My favorite wave was the triple section bomb that I "accidentally" rode into the surf contest area (like I am going to kick out before the last section???) ... "Paddleboarder, please leave the contest area... the judges give you a 7.3..."

Enough about me... how 'bout that M&M???

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

mik911

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2011, 09:47:35 PM »
"slicker than a teflon banana peel"  Classic!

Saw that MM in the classifieds.  Glad to hear that the width is managable.
Mike

Ron House Coastal Cruiser 12'6"
Hoe Nalu surf sup  10'6"
BARK 14' custom carbon SUP
Fanatic Fly Race 12'6" carbon SUP
BARK 14' prone custom paddleboard
BARK 12' prone Surftech paddleboard
Longboards: Harbour, Becker, Local Motion
Kneeboards: Cleary 5'10"
Handboard: Brownfish

adios pantalones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2011, 10:11:24 PM »
Yea, I was a little nervous about the width. It's much more tender than the Hobie, but the Hellcat felt wobbly at first too.
  I'll get used to it, but there is going to be a dunking or two in my near future. I'm looking to drop about 15 pounds and that will help. Time to skip a few Heinekens.
  The board floats me with both ends dry but feels like it's at max weight capacity. The previous owner was heavier than I, and that was problematic. I'm suprized that they didn't give him more volume.

I gave it a couple of coats of McLube Hullcote today and changed out the deck pads. I like the Hydroturf that I put in my dinghy and had some left over. The stuff that was on there was too heavy a ribbing and I didn't dig it.

Done for tonight, up early for a long paddle!  ;D

adios pantalones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2011, 10:14:37 PM »

I saw your thread, Candi is a sexy beast for sure. I'll be interested in hearing how she goes!

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2011, 06:04:14 AM »

I saw your thread, Candi is a sexy beast for sure. I'll be interested in hearing how she goes!

I am super stoled that you scored Eminem, I have been wanting to see how one of those goes... hopefully, we will run into one another at a race this summer... We should be easy to spot... not too many craft like Candi around, not too many craft like Eminem around either.  Plus, chicks like Candi are attracted to guys like Eminem...
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

adios pantalones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2011, 06:43:42 AM »
  Eminem! :D  Awesome! You just named my board for me.  Testy, a little unstable, awesome in a groove, but absolutley not "average".

I'll be at the Bay 2 Bay on 6-11. Hopefully on Eminem, if not , then on the Hobie.

adios pantalones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
As promised, please welcome EMINEM!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2011, 03:21:12 PM »
 ;)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 03:25:01 PM by adios pantalones »

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2011, 07:57:58 PM »
That's one sexy broad...I mean board! I'm assuming it's strictly flatwater?  What's the weight on that thing?

adios pantalones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 09:11:48 PM »
Nope, not only flat, the crux of the design is that it's a wave piercing bow.
 You go through, not over. Theoretically not wasting momentum with yawing motions.  The foredeck is peaked to shed water. I haven't had this out in open water yet, only the bay. So we will see.  This hull design worked well on the Oracle/BMW trimaran that brought the Americas Cup back to the US last year!
  The boards glide is amazing and it will surge ahead on even the slightest boat wake. The carbon models do have blunt stern to enhace wave catching ability. 

It weighs 28lbs.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2011, 10:45:42 PM »
I love the penetrating bow design, but I don't think I'd take it on a Maliko run. I'd say 90 percent flatwater, but it would be fun to give it a try in something moderate.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lazymodo

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2011, 04:04:59 AM »
Thanks for the great photos! How much roll (side to side) would you say there is in the bottom? Any chance of getting a view with a strait edge across it? Beauty.

adios pantalones

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2011, 06:21:01 AM »
I love the penetrating bow design, but I don't think I'd take it on a Maliko run. I'd say 90 percent flatwater, but it would be fun to give it a try in something moderate.

If this board ever does Maliko, it'll be with a much better paddler than I on it! :D

I'm curious to get in heavier conditions. The bow pierces to a point, then the bouyancy kicks in, hence the peaked deck to shed the water. Stability will be the limiter I think, It is getting on the narrow side for rough work.
 It will be interesting over time to see if this type of design sticks or if it serves as a developmental step.

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal