Author Topic: Making a paddle?  (Read 9554 times)

K1SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Making a paddle?
« on: May 20, 2011, 06:42:10 PM »
I tried to do a search here and found a little info but would like more.  I want to make a wooden paddle so I need some suggestions for plans.  Any links that would be helpful would be much appreciated.  Thanks.  Bryan

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: Making a paddle?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2011, 06:53:55 PM »
Best wooden paddle you can reference is Malama's
http://www.kenalu.com/2008/04/04/waterproof-artwork-malama-paddles/

You don't need plans. It's really pretty simple. Pretty much all the wooden paddles are made in a similar manner.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

crkrider

• Malibu Status
  • just before the sharks arrived
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 09:05:13 AM »
Jimmy Snyder, squirt boat pioneer and paddle maker extrordinaire,
could probably give you a few ponters. He's located in Albright, WV. I think his paddle business is called Preferred Modes.

Basically, block the thing up out of 1 inch by 1 inch strips of wood, and then have at it with
a power grinder with a rough sandpaper wheel until it's the apprpriate shape.

Guegeon Brothers in Michigan makes a good line of epoxy for building wooden yachts, and are a wonderful resource.
Use of their epoxies makes it easier to not have totally perfect joinery work.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 01:23:24 PM »
This link shows a series of photos on paddle build #2. The photo captions provide a basic description of the build technique.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.179383344686.118709.560164686&l=e8eda38b18

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2011, 02:30:55 PM »
Thanks for linking those paddle-building pics!  I can't wait to try that--but I think I'll spend what free time I have on the water for now.  My surfing skills aren't worthy of that pretty a paddle....
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 05:28:20 AM »
 Nice paddle and good job, Andy...   Adding that stringer to the shaft was the way to go for strength...      Paddle on,    JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2011, 08:38:43 AM »
#3 is nearing completion.  On this one, I went with I-beam construction for the shaft: Light basswood web with mahogany flanges, and 6 oz. glass tape in between the laminations.  I won't use any external glass on the shaft, just epoxy saturation.  The blade just got the usual 2 x 4 oz. lamination.  The idea is that the external plys in the shaft do all the work, and the material in the center is just providing spacing and doesn't really see much bending stress.  Stay tuned for photos.

CTsupper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2011, 08:45:20 AM »
Any pics of #3 Andy?  Are you changing the design much on each new one... Learning as you go along?

Also, as I've never worked with fiberglass or carbon fiber... How does it sand? I was thinking of using carbon between laminations of the shaft but I don't know how it might affect things when it comes time to shape/sand/spokeshave/etc.

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2011, 12:18:56 PM »
My design changes are focused on the shaft, with the goal of getting the most strength out of the least weight while simplifying construction.  Wet fiberglass wrap around an oval shaft is a pain in the neck!  Thin fiberglass laminations sand just fine, but they will dull spokeshaves and the like more quickly.  After gluing up the shaft stock, I trim the excess glass/epoxy with a sharp razor blade while it's still in the green stage, and I do the same for the blade lamination.  I haven't worked with carbon fiber, but I suspect it will dull tools even faster.  When sanding fiberglass, I keep my skin covered to minimize the itchies.  I still get some, but not as bad as I would with my hands/arms uncovered.  A respirator with dust filter is standard equipment for me when working with glass and epoxy.

I'll snap some photos of #3, I haven't done as good a job documenting this one.

CTsupper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 12:44:12 PM »
Good info- didn't think about dulling blades but sounds like something to be prepared for. Looking forward to seeing more of your work and to hear how successful you are in getting the weight down.

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2011, 05:49:22 PM »
Below is a thread about making wooden paddles.

A great influence on how to make performance SUP paddles is Makana Alii outrigger paddles.  Light, high performance and beautiful.  Also used by some of the best paddlers in the world.

http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=10818.0

Jonnyg

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2011, 07:40:35 AM »
Hey guys!!  Any opinions regarding the "cupped" paddle blades?? ???

Thanks,  Jon

SternaSUP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Making a paddle? Three piece paddle
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 08:22:34 AM »
Just about finished with my first rudimentary paddle.  1/4" ply blade glassed on both sides.  1-1/4" closet rod shaft and t-handle.  Cheap but fun project.  Next question:  how about suggestions to make a three piece paddle to go along with the new to me Uli Steamroller?  Looking for ideas to securely but temporarily connect blade to shaft to handle.

Thanks!

Jeff

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal