Author Topic: Anyone tried the Fanatic Fly 9'6 with sail option?  (Read 9241 times)

obxaddict

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • nc boardrider
Anyone tried the Fanatic Fly 9'6 with sail option?
« on: May 18, 2011, 04:56:03 AM »
Seems like a great wave shape for paddle in the surf.  Anyone tried it with paddle or sail?

ZilkerPaddle

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone tried the Fanatic Fly 9'6 with sail option?
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 12:57:40 PM »
Never used myself but talked to fellow  few weeks ago  SUPing on the 11'6 HRS(? i think) and he loved it. He lived on south Texas coast (little waves and lots of wind). He was a larger guy but lots of experience windsurfing.

obxaddict

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • nc boardrider
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2011, 11:10:13 AM »
I got a wild hair and bought the 9'6 with sail option.  I've only paddled and sailed it in flat water but am impressed so far.  Great for light wind freestyle windsurfing.  Great glide and stability paddling.  Will update when I get to some surf!

wilanz

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 03:12:08 AM »
I'm demoing one this week.  Its a 2011 model which is 30" wide and 25 lbs.  The 2010 model was narrower and a couple of lbs lighter.   I'll take it paddling this morning and sailing Wed.   Im brand new to windsurfing with only 5 hours in the water.  I learned with a 40" wide starboard and then to a 31" wide Bic one design. 

I want to make sure I really like it since I'll have to sell my 8'10x28.5" surf SUP to get it.  So this Fanatic will need to SUP surf just as good and in under sail be steady enough for a novice.  I'll post some feedback and pics. 

Let me know if you have any specific questions.    My buddy that owns the fanatic 9'6 previously had the 2010 model and now this one.   He does plenty of wave sailing and it's impressive to watch him on these things.  I usually pass by him while doing a down winder as I SuP surf while he's zipping in and out of the surf.   

obxaddict

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • nc boardrider
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 05:43:51 AM »
I'm demoing one this week.  Its a 2011 model which is 30" wide and 25 lbs.  The 2010 model was narrower and a couple of lbs lighter.   I'll take it paddling this morning and sailing Wed.   Im brand new to windsurfing with only 5 hours in the water.  I learned with a 40" wide starboard and then to a 31" wide Bic one design. 

I want to make sure I really like it since I'll have to sell my 8'10x28.5" surf SUP to get it.  So this Fanatic will need to SUP surf just as good and in under sail be steady enough for a novice.  I'll post some feedback and pics. 

Let me know if you have any specific questions.    My buddy that owns the fanatic 9'6 previously had the 2010 model and now this one.   He does plenty of wave sailing and it's impressive to watch him on these things.  I usually pass by him while doing a down winder as I SuP surf while he's zipping in and out of the surf.   

I think my 9'6 is around 19 lbs- very similar weight to the bamboo 9' Mana I sold to get it.  Can you post of pic of yours?  thanks.

wilanz

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2011, 08:52:51 AM »
I think my 9'6 is around 19 lbs- very similar weight to the bamboo 9' Mana I sold to get it.  Can you post of pic of yours?  thanks.

That 19lb version was nice.  I tried it last year. I think if you look at the dimentions it says 9'6x29" - that should be the 2010 model.

Here are some pics of the 2011 model. It's 9'6"x 30" and weighs 25lbs.

I paddled it for 2 miles today on flat water, out the inlet and back on the ocean (it was glassy today)

It was nice and stable. I practiced walking around as if tacking with a sail.  My other windsurfing buddy said it would work good as a novice board and I'll be trying tomorrow in 15-20 mph winds with a sail.

I am used to a 8'10x 28.5"x4" board. The volume seemed similar but just a different shape.  I'm 5'6- 178lbs

My 14' fanatic is 28" wide and the sup surf is 28.5".  So going to a 30" board made me rub my paddle on the outside edge more than I am used to but it was nice to have some extra deck padding on the outside of my feet since my toes are usually hanging off the edge of the pad :)

obxaddict

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • nc boardrider
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 07:03:02 AM »
FINALLY!  I had 3 straight days of bigger surf to give the fly wave a proper workout. 

Quick note- apparently mine is a 2011 9'6 x 30" and weighs just over 21 lbs with the stock fins.  I measured the 30" to confirm that too.  Not sure about the difference in Wilanz. 

Even with the stock fins and my 150 lbs I was very happy with the drive and hold on steep faces.  9/10 rides the 1st 2 days were fast 1 turn and exit out the back but this was the same thing the 6' short boarders were doing. 

Also got to wave sail for the 1st time on the 3rd day and loved it.  The board was light and hopped over the waves well on the trips out.  The surf was closing out pretty fast but lots of fun smacking the lip on some thigh high stuff.  My wife and I are loving this board.

obxaddict

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • nc boardrider
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2011, 05:17:35 AM »
FINALLY!  I had 3 straight days of bigger surf to give the fly wave a proper workout. 

Quick note- apparently mine is a 2011 9'6 x 30" and weighs just over 21 lbs with the stock fins.  I measured the 30" to confirm that too.  Not sure about the difference in Wilanz. 

Even with the stock fins and my 150 lbs I was very happy with the drive and hold on steep faces.  9/10 rides the 1st 2 days were fast 1 turn and exit out the back but this was the same thing the 6' short boarders were doing. 

Also got to wave sail for the 1st time on the 3rd day and loved it.  The board was light and hopped over the waves well on the trips out.  The surf was closing out pretty fast but lots of fun smacking the lip on some thigh high stuff.  My wife and I are loving this board.

I'm a nobody but here is my review of paddle surfing and wave sailing the 9'6.  http://ncboardrider.blogspot.com/2011/09/katia-and-fanatic-fly-wave-96-review.html

wilanz

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 08:46:16 AM »

I'm a nobody but here is my review of paddle surfing and wave sailing the 9'6.  http://ncboardrider.blogspot.com/2011/09/katia-and-fanatic-fly-wave-96-review.html

Nice review.  I weighed another 9'6 right after taking it out of the packaging and it's 25lbs on my 2 scales with the stock fins on.  I'm glad to hear you got a nice a light one. From the pic it looks like we have the same board.

I like where you review had you switching to a smaller fin.  I actually went up a fin size to a 10" and kept it all they way forward for windsurfing.  The board is even more steady, easier to tack and goes upwind better without any side slipping.

I'm pretty new to windsurfing and this change let me get out in head high waves with a sail.  I'm using a 4.0 Wave sail and didn't want to go bigger because it was difficult to move around but with the 10" fin, I'm ready to put back on a 5.5 sail and play.

I did try paddling it out with the bigger fin and surfing.  That was way too much with the 10" fin.  For now the bigger fin will be a good training tool, confidence builder and I should be able to go smaller after a couple of sessions.

obxaddict

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • nc boardrider
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 12:13:26 AM »

Nice review.  I weighed another 9'6 right after taking it out of the packaging and it's 25lbs on my 2 scales with the stock fins on.  I'm glad to hear you got a nice a light one. From the pic it looks like we have the same board.

I like where you review had you switching to a smaller fin.  I actually went up a fin size to a 10" and kept it all they way forward for windsurfing.  The board is even more steady, easier to tack and goes upwind better without any side slipping.

I'm pretty new to windsurfing and this change let me get out in head high waves with a sail.  I'm using a 4.0 Wave sail and didn't want to go bigger because it was difficult to move around but with the 10" fin, I'm ready to put back on a 5.5 sail and play.

I did try paddling it out with the bigger fin and surfing.  That was way too much with the 10" fin.  For now the bigger fin will be a good training tool, confidence builder and I should be able to go smaller after a couple of sessions.

wilanz,
I'm glad you did so well with the 4.0  That size is like having nothing once you are on the wave.  The weight differences make me wonder.  For 2011 and 2012 Fanatic doesn't list the weight of any SUPs but do say +/- 6% variation.  Are they made in China or the Cobra plant?

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal