Author Topic: 14' versus 12'6" dilemma - help me zoni wan kenobi  (Read 7595 times)

supvenice

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
14' versus 12'6" dilemma - help me zoni wan kenobi
« on: May 12, 2011, 08:34:58 AM »
Obviously there are different divisions for paddlers of 12'6" and 14' boards, but is there a certain type of build or certain size/style/form/etc that makes one size better for a person?  Right now I'm trying to decide between a 12 6 and a 14, and the only thing I know for certain is that 14 glides better than 12'6".  But do most 12'6" hold up better in chop?  Any and all info is appreciated.

Thanks

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
Re: 14' versus 12'6" dilemma - help me zoni wan kenobi
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2011, 09:10:39 AM »
Depends on the person.  What size are you?  Are you casual, or hardcore?  Are you looking for comfort, or speed?

supvenice

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2011, 10:59:39 AM »
6'1", 175 lbs.  I just did my first race last weekend, and I slogged through it on a 12' sup noserider -- definitely not ideal, but I paddled my ass off and finished.  I have taken that same board long distance for years, but I mainly surf on it.  I am in good shape, a hard paddler, with what I think is pretty solid technique, and I'm looking for something to use in more races, and also just to take on solo long distance treks.  Speed is the ultimate goal, but I also want it to be able to handle ocean chop.  I'm testing out a 12'6" ohana and a 14' ron house this weekend. 

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2011, 11:41:01 AM »
I think the bigger you are, then the more you will be helped by a bigger/longer board. There are so many other variables as well and I'm just starting to understand them myself. Hull design, board shape, volume distribution, etc, etc. So many things to consider and it ultimately comes down to what you want and trying to find a healthy compromise with your preferences and board selection.

I just had my first go on a Starboard Race 12'6" x 31.5" in pretty choppy conditions. I weigh 215 right now and this style of board handles rough open water conditions really well. Especially head on chop and it isn't bad in flat water at all either. The trade off is a board with less rocker and a more defined displacement hull is faster in calm water but not as stable in rough open water. It's all about compromise when you want a board that does a little of everything.

As far as a 12'6" handling chop better? No real serious paddling time on a 14' yet, but I think a 14' built to handle open water conditions would be a bit better. More glide and speed will punch through the chop more efficiently and be faster in a head wind and DW. It is also dependent on how the board is built. Rocker, volume, etc.

Kissa

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2011, 02:39:40 PM »
I think the best allround 12/14 production board is the Fanatic 14. It is fast in the flat and stable enough to help you fly downwind. Did a session last night where we alternated b/w fanatic 14 and Naish Javelin. The Fanatic was only slightly slower but a joy to paddle due to stability. Will be a great board if they can keep the weight down.  ;D

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 03:13:08 PM »
This is just my two cents

At your size you can ride either a 12'6" or a 14'.  Both are very competitive classes at all so. cal races.  A 12'6" is easier to buoy turn and surf in, but a 14' is faster in the open water.  With a 12'6" you really need to be on it all the time, paddle turn-over very fast and side switch fast.  Do not let the 12'6" glide just keep it going.  Over longer distances this gets tiring so a 14' wins out. I think this is why a 14' board is so nice, it can really be used for everything.  You can race 6 or 20 miles on it, or just play in the harbor.

At your size you should be able to handle either in the open ocean.  I am small and find the 12'6" easier and more playful in the California waters.  Most of our swell is really wind chop so the period is very short and the 12'6" works great for this.  My husband is about your size and he prefers the 14'.  He finds the 14' more stable in rough waters.

If you can make it down to Dana Point next Thursday I believe Hobie will have a demo at Baby Beach.  Last week they had their new 14' and 12'6" race boards to demo.  You can ride them in the harbor or out to the buoy in the open ocean.  Really gives you a feel for the different boards.

Cheers, Jill

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 03:28:58 PM »
One thing you should consider that I forgot to mention.  Almost all of the races in So. Cal are mass start.  It is absolutely crazy trying to paddle out a channel with 150 to 200 people.  A 14' is a little harder to get moving but once you do you should be able to leave all the 12'6" struggling in your wake.  With all the 18' and 14' boards the 12'6" boards have a real hard time finding smooth water at the start.  Just something to consider.

Jill

sbsup11

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 04:34:41 PM »
EXCELLENT point about the mass start Jill! Just hope you can make it to the first turn buoy before everyone else, because it'll be a little harder to turn, especially in a crowd.

You can certainly catch bumps better with a 14', but when it gets really gnarly, I've heard that a 12'6 is better, because you'll be catching less cross chop. Less points of impact of the length of your board. Haven't been in those conditions myself tho, so I couldn't say from experience.

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 06:46:53 PM »
I think the best allround 12/14 production board is the Fanatic 14. It is fast in the flat and stable enough to help you fly downwind. Did a session last night where we alternated b/w fanatic 14 and Naish Javelin. The Fanatic was only slightly slower but a joy to paddle due to stability. Will be a great board if they can keep the weight down.  ;D

Kissa, thanks for your review on the Fanatic 14, was it carbon or wood?. I paddle a 12.6 Fly Race Carbon 2010 and love it. Been curious about the 14 though. Any more pointers on your comparison between the Fanatic 14 and the Javelin would be appreciated here....i've paddled the Javelin too. Great on the flats, but that's it.
jd
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

Puamana4me

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2011, 07:09:38 PM »
supvenice
Go to every demo you can and paddle every board builders boards you can...there are demos everywhere...like at the Baddle of the Paddle.

There ARE A MILLION DISTANCE BOARDS ,and they are all different, and for dif. conditions and paddlers. No one on this site  can tell you what is right for you, GO DEMO.

"Believe nothing you hear, and half of what you see"

My distance board now is a 14, I had a 16..then a 12'6...then another 12'6"..then back to 14...then to a prototype 14..then  another 14, now 2 14' racers
Oh shit, I guess I like a 14 (So.Cali and Maui).

I leave off the board makes...my point is  ...paddle a hundred demo distance boards.,.,.and ALL the builders will be glad to dlet you demno their board...cause the Market is FLOODED WITH DISTANCE BOARDS and not enough buyers (pricing)

supvenice

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2011, 12:47:46 PM »
thank you to everyone for their responses.  super helpful, and i've taken them all to heart.  i'm testing out a naish catalina and javelin tomorrow.  testing a 12'6" ohana on sunday, and a 14' ron house on sunday.  kissa - did you find the javelin to be tough in chop?  balance - i know you mentioned you felt it was for flat water only.  Puamana - your advice makes total sense, and if i werent so amped up to just get a board and get in the water, i would demo like crazy.  i'll probably end up buying used for now, but still hit up any and every demo i can to get a better feel for what works for me.

again - great insight from everyone and very appreciated.

mahalo

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2011, 12:52:36 PM »
I'm planning on going out from Mothers Beach tomorrow AM if you want to check out the Coreban 14.

PM me or FB to confirm the time

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2011, 06:45:43 PM »
  balance - i know you mentioned you felt it was for flat water only. 
again - great insight from everyone and very appreciated.
mahalo
Keep us posted on your experience with all those sup's you'll be demo'ing !  Yes, i feel that the Javelin, after testing it several times, for me (6 ft, 165 lbs) is a dedicated flatwater board. Maybe i'm too light and the board has too much volume....but, my wife, at 5 ft and 110 lb, paddled it and felt it was 'stable' on the cross chop at the lagoon...i have my issues with it on those conditions. Possibly more an issue of height?
Maybe your balance is better than mine and can handle more moving waters. Also, if the Javelin is kept at speed, it's a bit easier to handle.
Let us know how it went !
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2011, 07:11:17 PM »
I just did some GPS testing with a 14' Surftech Bark Dominator and 12'6 Surftech Bark Competitor. I paddled downwind then upwind.

Going downwind, I found not much difference but the 14' board was a touch faster but the difference could simply have been due to varying conditions. Going upwind, the 14' board was significantly faster.  The better tracking upwind of the longer board seemed to help board speed. This was in closely spaced chop and wind of about 15mph.

In calm water, I'm sure the longer board would be faster.

After my test, I've decided to get the 14' Dominator.

supvenice

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2011, 07:49:54 PM »
in addition to the naish boards tomorrow, and the ohana and the ron house on sunday, i'm now testing out the coreban alpha and both the bark competitior and dominator tomorrow morning.  for someone who has only ever paddled 12' boards meant for surfing, this is the epitome of a crash test in race boards.  ha.  stoked though.  I will definitely report back on how it all went.  thanks again to everyone for the zone 411.  have a great weekend.  time to leave work.....

NOW

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal