Author Topic: Southern Oregon Coast  (Read 2551 times)

Innofthebeachcomber

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Southern Oregon Coast
« on: May 11, 2011, 08:59:31 AM »
Check it out.  I've got set up with Naish and Starboard as a rental/demo dealer in Gold Beach.  Gold Beach is 35 miles north of the California Boarder and home to the world Famouse Rogue River. If you stay at the Inn no charge for board demo.  the Naish Boards are due at the end of May.

http://www.standuppaddleboarding.tv/suprentals.html

June 16th through the 19th Kai Lenny will be rippin it at the Standup Showdown during the Pistol River Wave Bash

Ted
Inn of the Beachcomber

maui wave warrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Southern Oregon Coast
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2011, 10:44:26 AM »
Nice idea to carry boards! Are you planning on carrying anything more high performance such as the Naish Hokua 9' for the  advanced riders who may want to use a board? I would imagine the bulk of your customers are novice but you will no doubt get some advanced folks passing through who need a board and would love to use something more performance oriented. I hear from people especially when visiting some of the outer islands that they wished there were some performance boards available at place X where they were staying or at a nearby shop so they could really enjoy the conditions. Just some fuel for thought.

Innofthebeachcomber

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2011, 11:12:48 AM »
Love the info.  My plan was to get some of the performance boards but got a littled schooled by the reps.  I got the Starboard Drive to start in that direction.  I am working with Charlie at Pacific Boardsports and am thinking I will get some of the smaller boards.  It would be beyond cool if you guys could give me some advice.  I told Kevin Prichard (Starboard team rider)  I would order him in his Starboard if he surfs in the SUP contest. 

I went down and filmed Zane at the Surftec Shootout and was blown away by how he handled it.  I've got some footage of Bernd on his 6'6" Naish on the www.boardwindsurfing.com site from the Waddell Creek AWT event so yea I want to get some smaller SUPs

Thanks and any sujestions would be killer

Ted

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2011, 11:27:51 AM »
Your place looks beautiful!  I absolutely love the S. Oregon coast with its uncrowded breaks and scenic coastline.  I hope we can make it down for the event.  A few questions:
What is the competition format (heat times, divisions, scoring criteria, etc)?
Will you be having races as well?
Will there be any Guiness?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 01:20:16 PM by Admin »

Innofthebeachcomber

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2011, 11:50:43 AM »
Sam said Robby Naish thought a course would be an idea around Cape Sebastion.  I am working with Sam on the details.  I want an expert class and a amature class.  The AWT judges will judge the event and would expect the waterman rules.   I would expect the heats to be based on the conditions and number of surfers entered.  I know down at the waddell event they based the heat length on the conditions.  Mat Prichard will be making the call so it's in good hands.  I am planning on a food and beer the Tuesday night at the Inn.  Longboard for the beer.  Did you guys see the label on the KOKO Brown?

Is there a spell checker here?

ted

maui wave warrior

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2011, 12:08:11 AM »
I would suggest bringing in the 9' Naish Hokua and the 8'5 Starboard Pocket Rocket for starters. That should satisfy those with a performance appetite and cover you until you see what the demand is like for performance boards.
Good luck!

Innofthebeachcomber

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2011, 07:58:12 AM »
Probably should have posted something in the gear section.  The starboard rep says that they are killing it with the 8"10" drive in socal.  I am thiniking of getting in the 9'8" pro wave if Kevin Prichard decides to surf.  Thanks for the feed back.

Ted

Chan

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2011, 11:03:35 AM »
I like the smaller models myself, but the waters are pretty darn chilly in those parts.  Staying dry moves up a notch on my priority list which makes the move to a more stable board tempting.  It would be nice to have the option to keep your feet above a sub 50 degree waterline.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2011, 11:06:24 AM by Chan »

Innofthebeachcomber

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2011, 12:11:54 PM »
So you think Pistol is a little colder than Maui?  Last year during the wave bash the water was the coldest of the year  looking at the port orford buoy.  When you say small what is your cut off?  I am 245 so smaller has it's limits for us large unskilled guys.  Bernd Roediger is all over his 6"6".  any specifics would be great.  Maui is for real the cutting edge for SUP surfing.

Thanks

Ted

* Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal