Author Topic: My paddle on the new PSH Hull Hybrid.  (Read 12627 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
My paddle on the new PSH Hull Hybrid.
« on: May 07, 2011, 06:38:57 PM »
Yesterday I went to Bass Sup's second event down at Ocean Grove and on the way down I popped into SHQ to picked up the new Paddle Surf Hawaii Hybrid Hull Paddler.. (demo board)

It's the 10'2" x 33" size and designed as an allround paddler with flat water speed and stability and also surfing ability for the recreational paddler.. They come in three sizes and the other two are 9'7" x 32" and 10'7" x 33".

The thing that surprised me the most was the price.. $1299 (Aussie dollers) .. with a PSH colour matching paddle.. Wow! .. Note that this is not the new Hull Ripper.. That's a whole different board and designed for performance surfing.

Here's a few pictures that I took at the shop.

I thew the new PSH on top of my Mana and hit the road.. Almost there.. Ocean Grove is just down the road a bit.

I saw Phil's big pimp-mobile so I knew I was at the right place.. The surf looked small but great.. and very glassy.. [:p]

Matty Martin rolled up with all his GSI gear.

So.. What board are you going to paddle Matt?

I put the new PSH on a stand while I got my wetsuit on and Rich and Leon checked it out.

Notice the very rounded bottom.

Also notice the Gor-Tex vent plug.. Time to get this baby wet.

I followed Phill down the boat ramp.

Paddling out the first thing that I noticed is that it didn't pop over the white water as easy as my Mana but that may be the flatter rocker and just something to get used to.. I caught the first wave with ease and I didn't expect to catch it because these waves were often a bit fat (and this wave was) but the flat water paddling speed seemed to help get onto it.. Once on it I could also feel the flatness of this board compared to my Mana.. It didn't nose dive or catch a rail.. It cruised along quite nicely as I surfed the wave and paddled out to catch a few more.. It was great fun.. I talked Phil into coming in and having a go.

At 33" wide it had no problem floating Phil and he said how stable it was for him.

Even Kristi couldn't make her dad fall (with a nudge of her paddle).

Phil continued to catch wave after wave and was starting to really like it.

Sorry I didn't get any great action shots but maybe someone else did.. I stayed out on my Mana for a while having a ball in these nice little glassy waves.. After a while I could smell the BBQ so I headed in and took some more pics that I'll post soon. (later)

Gotta go paddling right now..  :)

DJ

SwampSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: My paddle on the new PSH Hull Hybrid.
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2011, 06:54:24 PM »
Hey DJ,

I really dig all your info and pics.  Beautiful board  love the width.

But, because I'm a newb, why the name "hybrid"?

If you are not living on the edge; you are taking up too much room!

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2011, 07:20:07 PM »
Thanks DJ, you always do a great job with photos that relay the whole experience.  33" seems really wide to me.  What do you think you give up in performance on a board that wide?  How would a board of a similar length but 29 wide have performed that day in comparison?
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 10:40:44 PM »
How would a board 28 inches wide perform compared to the 29 inch wide one?
Sometimes you just have to go out and have fun.
Can't wait to try out the 9'7" x 32".

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 12:01:06 AM »
I just posted the rest of my pics in the 'Events' secion of the forum.. http://www.standupzone.com/forum/index.php?topic=11519.0

bonzaiman.. I know with bicycles the hybrid bikes are a cross between road and off road.. Like a Mt Bike with skinny tires.. So I'm guessing that these are a flat water board that can be take into the surf.

I've just heard that PSH are dropping the word 'Hybrid' from their name and just calling them 'Hull Paddlers'.

XLR8 and southwesterly.. These boards are aimed at entry level and learners but I hear there's some big boys ripping on them.. A board that's only 28" wide is just too hard for most biggers guys and learners.. These wide boards are fun.. For most people you don't give up much going wide.. but you sure gain a lot.. IMO.

DJ

motopilot

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 06:15:47 AM »
Nice photos and writeup DJ.  Boards looks like the evolution of the All around series.  Even though your waves were small very cool perspective from the water with the swell coming in.  Cannot believe how wide these boards are.  But for a beginner I bet they will work out great.

XLR8

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2011, 07:37:59 AM »
How would a board 28 inches wide perform compared to the 29 inch wide one?
Sometimes you just have to go out and have fun.
Can't wait to try out the 9'7" x 32".

I wasn't at all trying to dampen the stoke or imply anything.  I truly don't know the answer to the question.  As I look ahead to my next board, a 10', I have options on width.  I have a 30" wide board now that I feel bolted onto.  I was wondering if there was a potential performance increase a wider board would offer outside of stability.  I think DJs follow-up covered it for me. 
Blkbox Surf
Instagram: @greatlakespaddler

lamontweaver

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2011, 11:56:27 AM »
DavidJohn, I want to thank you for taking the time to take these pics and do such a nice post. I always look forward to your informative posting.

surfinJ

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2011, 02:10:37 PM »
I'm about 200lbs and one year into this paddle surfing life.  Most of that time has been on a 31" wide board and as XLR8 states, I feel comfortably bolted to it. 

Recent events forced me, prematurely I thought, onto a 28" wide board.  What I found out was that my surfing had stagnated in an easy comfort zone.  Though a lot more work when paddeling- the surfing way more enjoyable.

XERO

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2011, 03:37:24 PM »
Aloha, noob here. Went to PSH the other day doing some research and I was told these boards are good for beginners. Is this true? Looked really good and wide for me, I'm 5'9" and about 140lbs. They said the 10'2" or 10'10" Hull Paddler would fit me well. I've never surfed before and only tried SUP once, yesterday, and I was a bit shaky. I tried some others and I was pretty stable on the C4 Pohaku. Is this board as stable as the C4?

chipmonk

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2011, 07:24:24 PM »
I would expect it to be a killer beginner board. And while you didnt mention what size the C4 board was (and I think the Pohaku are the non-Boardworks ones that are even a lil wider), you have to remember that the C4 boards are still pretty surf oriented. Like if the Pohaku was 29 1/2 " to 30" wide, the difference of this 33" wide board with a boat hull entry is going to result a dramatic increase in stability. This board appears to me much more flat water oriented, with the possibility of surfing it in the right relaxed conditions. The nose shape etc I think would make it way more fun to paddle flat water. Which...is absolutely essential to learning to do this in the surf. So you might as well get a board that will make that more fun, while you get the feel of moving around the surf.

pguidry

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2011, 11:43:52 AM »
I see this board as an alternative to the Naish Mana.  Though the PSH design seems good for flatwater, the review above seemed to indicate better surfing (at least late takeoffs, rails, and stability). 

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2011, 03:44:52 PM »
I see this board as an alternative to the Naish Mana.  Though the PSH design seems good for flatwater, the review above seemed to indicate better surfing (at least late takeoffs, rails, and stability). 

True it is an alternative to the Mana but to be honest I found my 10' Mana to be slightly more stable and performes better in the waves.. The new PSH Hull Paddler is cheaper and comes with a paddle but also a little heavier than my Mana.. IMO it's still a good option for anyone looking for a board for what it's designed for.

DJ

finsider

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2011, 06:53:50 PM »
Hey DJ,

Just wondering what the differences are between this and the hull ripper besides width and not being a quad. Are the bottom contours or rockers different? From the videos I've seen the hull ripper is supposed to be a decent paddler...could just be the 110lb/50kg paddlers on it in the video though.

The reason I ask is because I have been considering a convex bottom shape in the nose for the tiny choppy windswell we get a lot of. The concave nose on my board likes to make a repetitive "smacking" sound in conditions like this.
Where there is wind, there is a wave

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 07:07:11 PM »
Hey DJ,

Just wondering what the differences are between this and the hull ripper besides width and not being a quad. Are the bottom contours or rockers different? From the videos I've seen the hull ripper is supposed to be a decent paddler...could just be the 110lb/50kg paddlers on it in the video though.

The reason I ask is because I have been considering a convex bottom shape in the nose for the tiny choppy windswell we get a lot of. The concave nose on my board likes to make a repetitive "smacking" sound in conditions like this.

I don' know but I'm sure the rocker and rails near the tail are very different.

That smacking sound is common with concaves and nothing to worry about..

I found the convex seemed to bog down a little hitting chop but may work better than a concave in some conditions.

Where's Blane when you need him..  ;D

DJ

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal