Author Topic: Surf hat?  (Read 9973 times)

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Surf hat?
« on: May 06, 2011, 07:34:27 AM »
Anyone recommend a surf hat?  It needs to stay on because I'm not the best yet at graceful exits so I get pounded more often than not... 

I ask because occasionally I'm able to get away for a session at lunch and the sun is beating down on my noggin.  Some of them look a bit goofy but I don't care; it's better than cancer.  I don't really want to lather on the thick sunscreen because I have to go back to work and prefer to be a bit stealthier (i.e. I don't want the boss saying "Why do you have sunscreen on your neck?..." at an afternoon meeting).

VonR

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Re: Surf hat?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 08:30:15 AM »
Try either the FCS or Dakine surf hats. They both work well.

Aloha,
Jeff
Aloha,
Jeff

CTsupper

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 08:39:22 AM »
Wow--- getting out at lunch...That's pretty amazing. I only get a half hour and often eat at my desk. I just recently had an interview out in San Diego and wound up getting a decent offer but it's just not a good time for me to change coasts. I've been thinking about it every day since though! All of you southern californians have quite the backyard to play in! Even If I can't get out mid day, it's still great to hear others can!  

srowndedbyh2o

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 08:44:17 AM »
I use the Patagonia surf Brim.
 http://www.patagonia.com/us/product/patagonia-surf-brim?p=28826-0-815
It may look a little goofy, but it gives better protection than a baseball style cap and I’ve never lost it in the surf. I believe it’s the same hat you see photos of Gerry Lopez using.
It's all relative.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2011, 09:06:19 AM »
Wow--- getting out at lunch...That's pretty amazing. I only get a half hour and often eat at my desk. I just recently had an interview out in San Diego and wound up getting a decent offer but it's just not a good time for me to change coasts. I've been thinking about it every day since though! All of you southern californians have quite the backyard to play in! Even If I can't get out mid day, it's still great to hear others can!  

It doesn't happen often for me (1x a week is doing good) because it does require a little longer lunch and I don't want to abuse it (but it's about getting your work done here & not sticking to a schedule). 

I have a friend who works at the Saulk Institute and can surf everyday at lunch because it's right on the ocean!  The sorry sucker absolutely loves his job AND gets to surf everyday if he wants....  I hate him actually...    ;D

coolhead

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2011, 09:43:45 AM »
If you don't mind ordering online, the Aussies know a thing or two about sun protection for surfing ...

http://www.protecsun.com.au/products/protecsun-surf-hat-surfhat-sailing-hat/384/1

Coolhead

tde

• Sunset Status
    • MSN Messenger - Timellispv@gmail.com
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2011, 09:44:51 AM »
check out the "Zen paddle master hat" at planetsunhawaii.com.  I ordered one before I left for a surf trip to Fiji a couple of month ago and it worked great. Didn't come off once even in 8-10 foot surf. I always wear a hat when surfing and I've tried a lot. This is DEFINITELY one of the best...(also, if it does come off it FLOATS)...Tim

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 10:16:34 AM »
If you don't want to look like Bill Murry in Caddyshack,
Just tie a loop of line around the strap of a baseball hat.
Works great and now those dozens of hats you alreay have around your house have a purpose.

Keau

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 10:46:58 AM »
I use a hat from Xcel.  It has a wide brim, but the part of the brim in the front is stiffer so it does not flap around in your face on windy days.  It also has a chin strap so it will not come off if you end up in the water.  If I don't need the chin strap, I just tuck it into the hat before I put it on.  Nice hat. 

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2011, 11:43:05 AM »
If you don't want to look like Bill Murry in Caddyshack,
Just tie a loop of line around the strap of a baseball hat.
Works great and now those dozens of hats you alreay have around your house have a purpose.
Southwesterly--thanks for making me feel less nerdy.  I have a loop of string I wear around my neck (not just around my chin) and loop it through my baseball cap strap just like you said.   I also loop my sunglasses' strap through it.  That way when they get knocked off they're still attached.  I've read too many posts about how many pairs of sunglasses are lying at the bottom of the ocean.  People think rising ocean levels are caused by global warming but it's actually displacement from sunken sunglasses.

It took me about a year to figure out to make the loop of string just long enough so I can pull it over my head and reuse it, instead of cutting a new one every time.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 11:45:22 AM by pdxmike »

beaglebuddy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2011, 03:58:31 PM »
I've fooled around with hats without success, the chin strap should have two connection points on the hat, in front of and behind the ears otherwise it will just get pulled off when you wipe out. Big floppy brims don't work well when wet, they hang down in front of your eyes and drip water. I like a trucker style ball cap with a stiff brim. A bright colored floating hat is a good idea too.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2011, 08:52:30 PM »
These work great, but you have to be very certain of your manhood to wear one:

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

banzai

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2011, 09:01:51 PM »
I also wear a baseball style hat with a rashguard. So I loop a nylon cord around the band of the cap and have sewn the other end or the nylon cord to my rashguard.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2011, 09:11:39 PM »
These work great, but you have to be very certain of your manhood to wear one:

I think he's smiling because it matches his purse.... :D

I just slather on the Doc Martin's before going out. I can't wear a hat because the brim creates a false horizon that throws off my balance (likely unique to me though)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 09:15:27 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

srowndedbyh2o

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2011, 10:23:46 PM »
Here's a shot of "The" Man with his hat. I guess with his rep he could pretty much wear whatever he likes!
It's all relative.

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
April 19, 2024, 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
April 19, 2024, 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard