Author Topic: PFD recommendation  (Read 19773 times)

bean

PFD recommendation
« on: May 02, 2011, 01:47:49 PM »
I'm looking for a new PFD for flat water paddling.  I recently looked at some of the waist-pack PFD's but even they seem bulky. 

Any insight would be appreciated. 

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: PFD recommendation
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 01:51:17 PM »
I have used the Hobie waist pack one a bunch - after a few paddles I no longer noticed it was there, and it is MUCH better than an actual PFD you wear on your chest/back.

Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

coolhead

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 01:59:27 PM »
I'm also using a waistpack inflatable PFD to keep the harbour patrol from hassling me.

I spin it around and wearing it like a fanny pack and have added a water bottle holster (both for a water bottle and so that it doesn't look like I just paddled back from the 80s).

I don't notice the pack at all in this configuration.

Coolhead

johnrg

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 02:02:33 PM »
The West Marine waist pack is a little less expensive and yellow if that matters. I find it unobtrusive and wear it as instructed, up front, and find it stays in place better and in no way obscructs my paddling etc... I think I could also wear my Camelback waist pack as well on the backside. Bought mine just in case I raced and paddled where it was required but ended up wearing it in the harbor as a good citizen finding it was comfortable and so have used it a number of times. I figure everyone should own one that SUPs if just to keep in the car for those select locations that demand it.

John

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 02:29:04 PM »
i have the onyx waist pack and like all else, I forget it is even there. Sit down, lay down, paddle, all you do it is not a bother at all.  After a few times out you will feel naked when you do forget to throw it on because when you do realize it's gone you know it's not there in case you do need it.  That, the Hobie and probably the others mentioned are all small and uncunbersome.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 02:32:52 PM by lucabrasi »

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 04:56:24 PM »
 I have a Stearns  "SOSPENDERS" belt pack that I wear in the back like everyone else. And I too, forget that it is there most of the time.  Just another $100 to keep the Feds off our backs (for the moment!).  ;)
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

SwampSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 06:13:57 PM »
Are the waist packs class 5?
If you are not living on the edge; you are taking up too much room!

SwampSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2011, 07:39:57 PM »
Can you refresh my memory?  Do you have to wear the type III at all times or just have them available?
If you are not living on the edge; you are taking up too much room!

gorgebob

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Gorgeperformance.com
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2011, 09:38:33 PM »
You just have to have it with you which is stupid. Have a life jacket duct taped to your board and whack yourself in the head with you paddle and see how well the life jacket works.
 Get the belt, wear it.
 I did see someone tape a belt to the deck, wish I had my camera for a Darwinian post.
Founder: Gorge Performance Surf  Shop Portland
Fabricator: RNR Engineering

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 10:00:36 PM »
I did see someone tape a belt to the deck, wish I had my camera for a Darwinian post.
What a moron!  He wouldn't have any room left to tape his hydration pack down. 

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 11:48:59 PM »
Bass Pro Shops, where else would I get one?

This one is $59-$69, small an comes in camo if you wanna be all badass. I have a navy one that like the others I forget is there.

http://www.basspro.com/Stearns-Multipurpose-Inflata-Belt-Lite-Manual--Model-0340/product/50112/-960486?cmCat=CROSSSELL_THUMBNAIL

Says it's a type V with type III performance.

I keep a knife, a whistle, compass and light stick in mine cause I'm in LA and might get mugged or have to navigate to a rave.

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2011, 12:05:02 AM »
You just have to have it with you which is stupid. Have a life jacket duct taped to your board and whack yourself in the head with you paddle and see how well the life jacket works.
 Get the belt, wear it.

Excuse my ignorance regarding these inflatable belt PFD's but how are they any more use and less Darwinian in the event of a paddle whack in the head? Do they automatically inflate after detecting some kind of skull contact?

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2011, 12:09:36 AM »
They make automatic ones but I use it to follow the law and also in case of an open water ditch. (yeah, I wear a leash too)

Even most regular PFD's won't float you face up if you pass out.

As a general safety rule, I also won't paddle with anyone who's gonna whack me in the head.

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2011, 03:19:37 AM »
You have the automatic ones like the belt ones that go around your neck and the big orange ones you can get for 8 bucks. Those are the ones that will float you face up. Most kayak and jet ski vests will just float you, either face down or face up. When the belt packs inflate you do have to put it around your neck and it's shape is similar to the big orange ones. The onyx, and i am sure all the others can also be inflated manually/with your mouth if the charge for some reason doesn't work.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal