Author Topic: Small Blade vs. Large Blade - Test Results  (Read 10424 times)

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Small Blade vs. Large Blade - Test Results
« on: May 02, 2011, 09:18:57 AM »
So I have a Kialoa Methane that I love but I just use it for surfing as it is only about 7.5" over head and not good for racing at that length.  So just getting into the 12-6 stock class I've been using my adjustable Werner Spanker until I decide on length and blade type that works best for me.

I just bought a 3 piece travel carbon Werner Nitro paddle.  Very narrow and tall blade.  It says it's 100 sq.in but it looks and feels more like 90.  I bought it for traveling in a plane and decided to try it along with my Spanker (106 sq. in.)
Nitro = 100 sq.in. but very narrow and long. 78.5"
Spanker = 106 sq. in. but shorter and wider blade. 80"

I am 5'8" and around 165 lbs on a 12-6 board.

I did 2 flat water runs.  1 with the Spanker and 1 with the Nitro. 

Conditions were pretty good with medium wind and then some high gusts of winds for a few minutes about every 20 minutes.  50% downwind and 50% upwind.

1st run around 2.5 miles with the Spanker. 
Average mile time was 12:32 a mile - 4.78 mph
Downwind around 11:05 a mile - 5.4 mph
Upwind around 13:00 minutes - 4.6 mph
1 minute sprint = 6.4 mph (going downwind)

2nd run around 2.5 miles with the Nitro. 
Average mile time was 12:18 a mile - 4.87 mph
Downwind around 10:50 a mile - 5.54 mph
Upwind around 13:50 minutes (wind picked up a lot) - 4.34 mph
1 minute sprint = 6.7 mph (going downwind)

Conclusion:  With the spanker I definitely was much more fatigued and my elbow had a little pain.  The nitro was incredible.  I loved how much easier and smoother it was.  I felt so much better with the smaller blade.  Sooo much easier to just keep going for longer distances.  I'm sold on the smaller blade. When I finished the 2nd 2.5 mile run, I cruised for another mile and then hit it hard for 1 mile at an average of 10:27 a mile at 5.74 mph.
I enjoyed paddling so much more with the smaller blade.

Has anyone else gathered personal back to back data of paddle testing to decide what works best for them.  I think it helped going back to back because you can remember exactly how it went for you on each paddle.
Just curious what other peoples choices and results are.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
Re: Small Blade vs. Large Blade - Test Results
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 10:31:09 AM »
I did a paddle test comparing my smaller, shorter surfing blade to my longer (by2") and bigger racing blade and found the bigger blade was slightly faster for me.  The results are highlighted in green on my training log spreadsheet:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?hl=en&hl=en&key=0Au9qxAnW7ZMddEphZnVCb1U5M0I1ek1HVWl0QkpkUVE&output=html
Results will vary depending on your stroke, size, weight, strength etc, so it's good to do these kind of tests to see what works best for you.
Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 10:34:14 AM »
Excellent testing you did !

I recently bought a Werner Nitro and am very impressed by it's quality and ease of use. When i got it, i wasn't sure of the appropiate length to cut it (1 piece). I was coming from a Surftech Nautica which i felt was too long at 85 inches. My left shoulder hurt on the longer or harder efforts. Plus, i hated the handle (ball shaped) and wanted a handle like Kialoa's or Werner's. The Nautica's blade was small and nice, although a bit wider and shorther than the Nitro.
I did a similar test to yours but to find out the perfect length for my paddle, since i knew i was going to buy the Nitro already.
For testing, I used a low tech adjustable paddle with a large, 8.5 inch blade, which has 1 cm increments and reaches longer and shorter than recommended for my height.
I used a 250 mt course that is used by the local kayak team to train sprints. I paddled, starting from rest, at top speed for 2 runs on each direction. No wind, flat water. Fanatic Fly Race Carbon was the test sup.
I started with the shaft set at 4 cm above my recommended length based on reach overhead. I finished testing with the shaft set at 4 cm below my recommended length.
I did 2 runs on each length, reducing 2 cm every run (back and forth).
I recorded all times and elected the shaft length with the best average for the 250 mts run.
Finally, i added 1 cm to the length of the shaft for the new Nitro to make up for the test paddle's 1 cm shorter blade.
As i said above, i'm very happy with the Nitro at 82 inches !
« Last Edit: May 02, 2011, 10:40:47 AM by balance_fit »
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:40:47 AM »
blueplanet,  yep you're right.  Proof that everyone is different and you need to find out what works for you.

balance_fit.  How tall are you?  I feel like for racing I would like another inch on the 78.5.  I think right around 80" or 12" over head fits me best.  But blade size, smaller is better, for me.

balance_fit

• Peahi Status
  • Simple, not easy.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 10:47:35 AM »

balance_fit.  How tall are you?  I feel like for racing I would like another inch on the 78.5.  I think right around 80" or 12" over head fits me best.  But blade size, smaller is better, for me.

Boludo, i'm 5'11" tall and use the Nitro at 82 inches. This length allows me to reach overhead without over extending my shoulder. It's excellent for long sessions, downwinders and everything else i can do on a 12.6 race sup.
Definitely, as you say, smaller is better for me, specially, upwind.

Now, the testing will be done to compare several techniques regarding stance: parallel, staggered and styles, high cadence (Tahitian), low cadence (Hawaiian) and C1 inspired
Bic Wing 11' x 29"
Bark Commander 12' x 20" 
Walden Magic 10'
Other tools for mental and physical sanity not mentioned

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 10:53:45 AM »
I like my 100 sq in QB over my previous 110 for all the reasons listed above.  Downwinding, I've found is more about the moment of the stroke rather than so much the power... most of the time.  The smaller blade just seems quicker and unless I start lifting weights, I think I'm being delusional about using a bigger blade.

river

• Peahi Status
  • @danyak101
    • View Profile
    • Wing Foil and SUP Instruction
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 07:56:59 AM »
I enjoy training during the week with my Nitro and then switch to the Fuse (110) for racing.  This way I keep the high miles during the week with a low impact healthy resistance on my shoulders and then I switch to the bigger blade for anything in the sub 10 mile range for racing.  If the race is longer I will go with the Nitro but maybe an inch or 2 longer so I can get it deeper for a little bit more power on the longer HI Style stroke.  Of course I am paddling both the Nitro and Fuse with the bent shaft because I have found I move an extra 6 inches to a foot per stroke with a Bent. ;D
Wing, Foil & SUP Instruction,Aerial Cinema.
#dreamitsupit rider looking for the magic carpet feeling...

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 08:21:25 AM »
I think the choice of blade size has a lot to do with paddler size and strength. I haven't done any tests....just a feel that the paddle isn't planted...(paddle pulls towards me instead of me towards the paddle) when I use a smaller blade. I'd be interested to see a breakdown of paddler size and blade size. I use a werner spanker 106 sq/in for surf and just got a new fuse which I really like (adjustable 3 piece) that is multifunctional, longest setting its my distance/downwind paddle, shortest setting my backup surf paddle, 3 piece...in my truck always as backup and for travel. Somehow the fuse feels smaller (faster cadence) even though its 110 sq/in and provides plenty of power.
We tried a lot of different paddles back in the 2008 Board and Paddle Showcase. At that time as a rank newb I found a few that I really liked...all seemed to be a similar shape and size (all similar to the malama or spanker). Some of the really big ones with lots of grab (QB peahi and Powerex)were actually too much for me then. I've tried them since and liked them, so as our skill/technique gets better or changes so can your paddle. Sol Morey was way ahead of the small blade design curve. He was using blades that looked like spatulas and could catch anything...of course he's about 1/2 my size... ;)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2011, 08:30:11 AM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 10:47:24 AM »
This is making me wish you could get a paddle with an adjustable blade as well as an adjustable shaft.   Actually, with a 3-piece paddle, if you could buy a blade separately, you could have at least interchangeable blades. 

Another factor to consider is the blade shape.  You can have two blades of equal area, but if one is tall and narrow, and the other a wide teardrop shape, the wide one will put a lot of surface area into the water immediately, where the other one won't have its full area into the water until you are a bit further into your stroke.  Shape might be a minor factor compared to overall surface area, but still relevant.  I could imagine someone with shoulder pain might do better with a tall, narrow blade because you wouldn't get full resistance until you were further into your catch.

Of course all this just makes comparison testing that more difficult... :)

Big Ed

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 12:12:16 PM »
I love my Kialoa Shaka Puu for surfing and I just got started in racing. I blew it and purchased a QB 110 Kanaha Elite Racer and the blade is too big. I'm 6'3" 225 but I'm no oxen! When I hit the wind or current, I can't keep up my speed. I get tired easily and lose speed!!

Thinking moving to 100 or 90 Kanaha Elite Racer or trying a Kialoa cut for racing. I'm also thinking  that I should keep the 110 for downwind races or mind changing exercises. Maybe I will get stronger and improve my technique? My sticks are racking up like golf clubs in a bag. It would be nice to see a deeper selection at shops and some kind of adjustable demo quiver to try blades and lengths (a fit kit if you will). It would also be great to see more paddle companies actively participate in demo days.

gmac

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2011, 12:35:52 PM »
I did the same thing with the QB Elite Racer (110).  I'm 6'1 215 and I'm starting to wonder if the the 100 would be a better fit for me.  I heard this weekend that the 110 is only geared for really big/strong paddlers.  Please re-post on the 100 if you end up pulling the trigger.

Thanks,

BossManD

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2011, 11:11:58 PM »
I just made the switch this weekend from the QB 110 to a 100 and can already feel a huge difference when I paddle. The 100 feels so much more effortless than the 110. I can't back this up with any numbers, but it definitely feels like my endurance is way up with the smaller blade, allowing me to paddle hard for longer.

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2011, 06:18:29 AM »
I think for most (not all) of us, that is the key.  Even if we may loose a tad of speed it's worth it on the body and being able to endure longer.

odzilla

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2011, 12:12:09 PM »
I had great deal on a QB elite 90 but after about 10 months I felt my cadence improved but my overall speed hit the wall especially going against the wind. I bought a QB adjustable kanaha 110 and it felt like I was building strength but my cadence dropped dramatically, my shoulders ached and I started banging the rails of my board. I got another great deal on a QB elite 100 and am quite happy with it  like goldielocks and the 3 bears the QB 100 is just right not too big and not too small. I am 5'10" 210# and a tired 54.

beaglebuddy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2011, 11:46:54 PM »
I look at it like riding a bicycle, spinning fast is the way to go. You do not see bike racers standing off the saddle slowly pumping up a hill, they stay in the saddle and spin fast up the hill.
Also I believe this subject has a lot to do with machismo, it's just not manly to paddle around with a narrow skinny paddle.
Guys don't want to be seen with a "girls" paddle, personally I'm secure enough in my manhood to not give a damn about it.
Kinda like a "dick swinging contest" look at my big fat paddle!
TBS, my Nitro is 93" long, who can top that? LOL ;D

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard