Author Topic: Photos & useage  (Read 2582 times)

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
Photos & useage
« on: April 29, 2011, 11:41:03 PM »
No surprise that photos get picked up off the web and used without any credit or prior permission.  I've seen a bunch of mine get grabbed off of Facebook and new albums created from them without any mention of my FaceBook or webstie page (http://californiastandup.com).  Most of it is just people using them for personal reason and to me its not a real big deal.  A lot of the time I get sponsored riders asking for photos I took, and I always oblige.  When the photos get used for company promotion it would be nice to see some credit or a link-back.  I guess its time to start watermarking.  Oh well.

http://star-board-sup.com/blog/2011/03/race-hail/

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Photos & useage
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 09:44:30 PM »
H2Oman--so if I'm understanding you correctly, the photo on the Starboard website is one of yours that they took off your website with no permission or credit?

If so, that's really bad.  I understand how asking permission or crediting a photo can slip through sometimes, but a company that creates anything should be especially sensitive to respecting the rights of others who create images or products or ideas. You can bet they wouldn't stand for anyone selling copies of their board designs, or for that matter even publishing articles from their website without permission.

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 09:55:31 PM »
Maybe they can photoshop you out of it. ;)

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 11:18:02 PM »
The usual approach is to copy the image location, not the actual image, which automatically gives you a link, which most people consider value enough thing to compensate for their image being appropriated. so it's become more-or-less standard practice on the web. Starboard didn't do that with your picture, but they might not realize that it's web etiquette.

I don't complain when people appropriate entire articles from Ke Nalu or Xtreme Geezer as long as they provide credit and a link. And honestly I don't bother complaining about it if they forget to do that. The web is the wild west. The standards that would be applied to print simply don't mean much here.

Most surprising is that they used it. It's not a very good picture.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 11:53:52 PM »
I agree it happens, but that doesn't make it right. It's too easy to give a credit.

H2O, I'm sure they'll be cool when you release your new line of StarrBord Surf Race boards. ;)

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 10:26:58 AM »
Its not a Starboard thing, but seeing it just before I went to bed sort of bugged me.  It is the wildwest and nothing out-of-pocket was lost by its usage. It would be nice to see people share the love for the time that goes into covering events, etc.  Many do, but most don't.

I do try and practice what I preach.  I send emails and ask before reusing others photos.  I could easily put more content online and save a ton of gas if I just grabbed the work of others, but I choose not to.

My friend Mike Balzer use to most do Surf photography professionally.  Even his established clients would sometimes try to use his work with out paying...things like overseas billboards, etc.  Thankfully most of the surfers looked out for this stuff and would often let him know if they seen work from a photo session being used.

This is a great one that got lots of media coverage: http://www.extraordinarymommy.com/are-you-kidding-me/stolen-picture/

surfcowboy

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 04:17:12 PM »
Dude, totally. When I'm deep in the work world I live vicariously through your stuff and John's at paddlesurf.net.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 09:20:58 PM »
It is wrong . . . but my guess is that who ever "Jack" is (the author of the article on the Starboard web site) simply supplied the article to Starboard with an attached photo and they posted it to their blog.

I do not know of anyone named Jack at Starboard (both in the North America and World operations).

Still not right - just a hunch

Have you contacted Starboard to inform them of the issue?
I am sure they will either remove it or give you what ever credit you ask for.   
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 09:22:38 PM by Easy Rider »
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

H2Oman

• Teahupoo Status
  • supcontender
    • View Profile
    • Californiastandup.com
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2011, 10:39:05 PM »
It is wrong . . . but my guess is that who ever "Jack" is (the author of the article on the Starboard web site) simply supplied the article to Starboard with an attached photo and they posted it to their blog.

I do not know of anyone named Jack at Starboard (both in the North America and World operations).

Still not right - just a hunch

Have you contacted Starboard to inform them of the issue?
I am sure they will either remove it or give you what ever credit you ask for.  

Its not that big of a deal, meant more as an example. Gillian or whoever could have passed them along.  In the blogging/web-news world it is in good taste to link back or credit, - reciprocate.  When its not done, it means web publishers, photographers, etc. need to take steps like watermarking to make people aware of their site, work and so on.  Unfortunately, that means more work and I personally would rather view photos without it.

People should remember that "sharing" is different than "using".

« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 10:41:07 PM by H2Oman »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal