Author Topic: Vent plug?  (Read 3231 times)

K1SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Vent plug?
« on: April 29, 2011, 04:16:33 AM »
Have a chance to get a decent deal on a starboard board.  It is well used but only minor surface scratches.  The vent plug is missing and tape was being used in place of it.  Is this something to be concerned about?  I would get a new plug from starboard but could there be damage to the board that I am not aware of?  It doesn't feel heavy.

spookini

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Vent plug?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2011, 04:26:45 AM »
Well, if it doesn't feel too heavy and the price is right, I'd say go for it.  But definitely buy a new vent plug.  There obviously must be some amount of water in the board.  No need to add more  :)
-- My doctor says I suffer from low kook --
Do sharks attack?  Hope not
Do flying fish hate us?  Hells yes

Aves

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2011, 04:47:47 AM »
are you sure its a vent plug that is missing?... a lot of their boards have the windsurfing mast plug in.

JimK

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Big Guys can have fun too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2011, 05:13:36 AM »
Missing VENT PLUG is very serious. Unless you are getting it for free (or close there to) I'd skip it. There is no reliable way of getting water out. Plus ANY water in the board (which I bet there is) will breakdown the board on the inside Losing stiffness.

plus starboards have no internal structural components (Stringers) So the foam and the sandwich (which do breakdown with trapped water) that compose the structural integrety of the board

JimK

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 07:45:59 AM »
 As Aves said; make sure its not a windsurf mast base insert. It will have metal threads if it is. If not, it had better be real cheap ;)... Paddle on,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

K1SUP

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2011, 08:26:46 AM »
No.  It's the vent hole for sure.  It is different from the mast holes. 

It doesn't seem to be any heavier than 30 lbs or so (is a cruiser).  I can get it for about $750 and would put a new plug in.  Or I could get a new Big Easy for around $950 (I know someone who just bought it and only used it once before deciding on a different board).  The Big Easy is the base board and the Cruiser is the top of the line one I think.   Using it mostly for lake paddling (fun, fishing, maybe try out some races) and an occasional trip to the beach. 

I have experience with kayaks but little with SUPs so am hesitant here.

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2011, 11:22:40 AM »
I'd pass - doesn't sound like a good enough deal to offset the risk of there being water in the board..

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal