Author Topic: Werner Handle "The Conclusion" a must read!  (Read 2887 times)

SUPirate

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Werner Handle "The Conclusion" a must read!
« on: April 28, 2011, 05:08:15 PM »
I just picked up my paddle From Blue Planet Surf shop in Honolulu and for those of you who havent been following, Robert offered to get a new handle from Werner and install it for me too, What a guy!  and I didnt even buy the paddle from him.

He even removed the broken section of the handle that was still glued in the shaft, that was the hard part and he did it all for Free!  Get That? 

All of you on Oahu, you got to go check out his shop, he has all kind of stuff there and his employees are really helpful too They even offered to help drink the beer i brought for Robert.  Guess where I am going to shop the next time I need something?

A BIG MAHALO (thank you) to Robert, I couldnt have done it without your help.  and get this, I didnt even contact him, he contacted me and told me that he would like to help me out!

Okay, for those of you who think I was bashing Werner, you're right!  I was, and here is why. 

I paid $300 something for this paddle and I am not going to ship it off pay for postage and repair cost for a job I could do in a few hours to replace a $10 plastic handle that has a history of shearing off. 

I wanted to strengthen the new handle first before it was glued in place.  Just to let you know that the replacement handle didnt have a dowel in it, it was marked with a "E" it was hollow,  Maybe they used a stronger ABS plastic, who knows and who cares.  Good handle, poor design, there is definetly a weak spot on it.

I could use another handle but I would lose a inch or two off the overall length,

I also could make a handle but, do i really want to?  NO!  I rather be surfing!

I really like the Werner Nitro, it is my "Go to paddle" when the surf is big, it is light, strong and comfortable but I dont need it to fail on me when I need it the most like when I am one stroke away from taking the drop from a 10 foot face, imagine your handle shearing off and you go head first over your board and get sucked over the falls and pounded of the shallow reef, NOT FUN AT ALL!

And one more thing, I wasnt trying to get Werner to give it to me for free, I would have paid for it but, they wouldnt even sell it to me.  I understand that things wear and break, no problem, just make parts availible for guys like me to do my own repairs.

Nuff Said!
SUPirate ;)

paddlesurf.net

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: Werner Handle "The Conclusion" a must read!
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2011, 08:20:45 PM »
I've seen three break- with one impaling the paddler in the face just below his eye. Their handles suck. Congrats on fixing yours- I hope you don't have any more probs with it.

blueplanetsurf

• Site Sponsor
  • Teahupoo Status
  • Hawaii's SUP HQ
    • View Profile
    • Blue Planet Surf
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2011, 09:37:10 PM »
Thanks for the kind words and the case of Heinekens, I'm just enjoying one of those.  Werner sent us extra replacement handles, so if you break one, bring it to Blue Planet ad we'll fix it (yes, we'll do it for beer ;D).
To get the broken stub out, I used wood boring bits, as recommended by someone here.  The hard part was getting it started without damaging the carbon shaft.  I used a box cutter razor blade to cut an angle on the edge that centered the wood boring bit and helped get it started.

Robert Stehlik
Blue Planet Surf Shop, Honolulu
Hawaii's SUP HQ
http://www.blueplanetsurf.com

andygere

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Waveyarder Hollow Wood SUP build
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2011, 10:07:43 PM »
This is a good ending to the story, glad it worked out the way it should.  It would be great if Werner set up all their dealers with a stock of handles, and showed them how to do the repairs.  Props to Blue Planet.

FWIW, I love my Nitro too.

LBatBeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Casa Bonita Vacation Rentals
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2011, 03:40:31 AM »
Glad it worked out.  Another example of great service by another great dealer.  As posted earlier, my dealer Jose at Aquatica in Aguadilla responded similarly.   Buy local :)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 11:41:36 PM »
It's crazy that they make such great paddles and then blow it on something so minor. Hope they learn from this...make it easy for dealers to fix the ones out there and fix the design of the handles so they stop breaking. How many new customers do you think Blue Planet earned from giving such great service. A lesson to every manufacturer and shop.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal