Author Topic: What to wear in New England, spring through fall?  (Read 6650 times)

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
What to wear in New England, spring through fall?
« on: April 26, 2011, 05:58:22 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to stand up paddling and just ordered my first board. I'd like to get out on the water and start paddling as soon as it arrives, but I don't have a wetsuit or anything insulating for watersports, and water temps are still in the low 40s up here in New Hampshire. What do other New Englanders (or those of you in similar climates) wear this time of year? Is there a single weight/cut of wetsuit that will keep me comfortable now through fall, so I don't have to buy both winter and summer weight ones in the next few months?

I don't expect to be surfing or spending a lot of time actually in the water the next month or so, but I'll need something that will provide adequate protection from the cold water when I inevitably fall in while learning to SUP in the next few weeks. I'd appreciate any suggestions, especially for something low cost and flexible enough to get me through until fall, when I'll look for real cold water/weather gear if I decide to keep paddling through the winter.

Thanks!

Luke

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
Re: What to wear in New England, spring through fall?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 06:21:20 PM »
Hi Luke,

I'm in Maine, so the waters a wee bit colder than yours, and I just switched to my 3/2, still using 7 mil booties.  On flatwater paddles, I'm using a 2/2 shortsleeve.  Gloves are no longer necessary.  A 3/2 will take you through mid-October.  You won't need anything but board shorts and sun-gear come July.  Then break out the suit on those overcast days in late September. 

You will sweat in a 3/2 in the sun unless you are falling in every 10 minutes.  Come winter, find a good 4 mil with hood.  That ought to keep you warm for all but the 6 coldest weeks of the year. 

raf
owner of Soposup, New England's 1st dedicated SUP shop
www.soposup.com
207-317-0425

Ake G

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 06:33:20 PM »
Welcome Luke!

An hour N of you I was wearing my 5/4 hooded on cold days ....water still low 40's (the winter suit, for me Dec-March) now the 4/3 (end of April, May,Oct, Nov)  until the water gets back to the mid-50's upward then it's the 3/2 (June, July, Aug, Sept). This is not exact, it's how it feels that week or day.

You could get away with 2 suits up here, a 5/4 hooded, with boots and gloves/mitts in the colder months and a 3/2 in the late spring/summer. One suit IF you're going to be in the water a lot, if you get cold easy you could go 4/3 and buy a nice hooded vest to go underneath when needed but the 3/2 should be fine. Board shorts when it's hot.

dietlin

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 06:57:53 PM »
When you're first learning you'll be paddling up a storm, which will keep you surprisingly warm - that's one of the big advantages of SUPing in the cold. 

So, get a 3/2 with a separate hooded vest to wear underneath.  That'll work spring thru fall.  5 mm booties, 3 mm gloves.  Once you're hooked and decide you want to be out Jan - Apr, then you go get yourself a 5/4. 

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 07:57:42 PM »
Depends on how much heat you generate. Somewhat dependant on size....larger=more body mass to skin surface ratio. I sweat and steam while shoveling snow in shorts and a t-shirt so that gives you an idea where I'm coming from. I'm on the south shore, surf the outer Cape, south shore and RI. 3/2 this time of year (almost in boardshorts, probably tomorrow), 5mm booties and either no gloves or 2mm. Winter is a 4/3 xcel with poly in the chest, full hood, 7mm booties and heavier gloves or mitts. Even mid winter on flatwater paddles I can get too hot with a 4/3 on. Everybody is different but I think you have the idea from the posts here. A 3/2 will do you fine now and next winter when you start feeling the cold look at a 4/3 or 5/4 depending on your cold tolerance. Wool socks help under the booties as do poly vest shirts/ and gloves under the rest of the rubber.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2011, 11:39:05 AM »
Thanks for the advice, everyone. Sounds like a 3/2 is the way to go. Now the question is, should I go with a full length one, or would a shorty suffice? I'm pretty sure I'll be hot has hell out of the water in a full length suit when air temps are 60+ as they are now, but would a 3/2 shorty (possibly with boots) protect me enough from the occasional fall in 40-50 degree water? I'm basically looking for the minimal protection that will keep me warm enough to pull myself back up on my board and paddle a short distance back to shore.

These are the two options I'm considering:
http://www.amazon.com/ONeill-Wetsuits-Hammer-Graphite-X-Large/dp/B004I44IZW/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1303928321&sr=8-8

http://www.amazon.com/ONeill-Hammer-Full-Black-Medium/dp/B00333NZ12/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1303929266&sr=8-3

Thanks again,

Luke

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 04:45:25 PM »
Not sure anyone can give you more advice than they already have. Like most things it's personal. It's almost fulltime boardshorts weather for me. An occasional fall actually feels kind of good to me and even in mid winter I'll occasionally jump in and let some water into my suit to cool off. A 60+ deg day with sun and 15 mins of hard paddling will have me jumping in even with the water at 47 (where its at now)...a little shrinkage for sure but you'll scramble back up and start paddling again....but like I said...that's me. If you can't stand cold it will be a bigger issue for you.

BTW...stop in and see Dave or Phil at Cinnamon Rainbows...support your local shop. You're lucky to have such a great one nearby. Great folks and they can talk to you directly about what your needs are and hook you up with a suit.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 04:49:09 PM by stoneaxe »
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

Foilman

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 07:10:38 PM »
Where in New England do you live? I was out on the local pond the last couple of days without a wetsuit. The water was surprisingly warm. If you plan to sup on rivers or the ocean then you'll need something. I was out kiteboarding yesterday in a 5/4 wetsuit and was pretty toasty in 50 degree water. If you decide to get a wetsuit, get one with front zip. Those are almost like drysuits barely any water gets in those. You caould also get a drysuit. The good thong about those you can layer up the colder it gets. The disadvantage is you will sweat if you layer up too much. They're also very loose so wind plays much more of a factor.

Rob
Starboard Allstar 14' x 25.5"
Starboard Coast Runner 14' x 28"
Bark Competitor 12' 6" x 28"
Fanatic AllWave 8'11"
Blue Planet Surf 10' x 32" inflatable

JC50

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2011, 09:02:42 AM »
Just go down to surfshop and purchase a quality 3/2. Not the best ($$$$), but a few notches down ($$). Also purchase a rashguard and nylon compression shorts (easier to put suit on/off and prevents chafing). Also purchase 5mm booties.

Now you have all you need to go paddling and no more agonizing decisions.

After many hours on the water you will have experience to make own decisions based on your particular differences and will add gear as needed. The 3/2 & 5mm booties will get lots of use throughout your ocean fun career so is never a waste of money.

Caribsurf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2011, 10:00:17 AM »
I think you will find that as summer nears you will need less and less rubber, but maybe booties still.  I found the best incentive not to fall when learning to SUP 2 yrs ago in Maine was to trunk it.  Unlike surfing, you will be out of the water most of the time on a SUP and you will find that a wetsuit can be more of a nuisance than anything in summer as you will bake in it.

If you have to have a wetsuit try a spring suit or sleeves
Hobie Raw 8'10"
Jimmy Lewis Kwad 8'7"
Naish Hover 95 liter 5'7"
F-One Rocket foil board 5'5" 90 liters
Fanatic Aero 1250, 1500, 1750 HA foils
CabrinhaMantis 3.5, 4m 5m. F-One Strike 7m CWC
Hobie 14' race board

Board Stiff

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2011, 02:37:02 PM »
Thanks for all the additional suggestions. I went down to Cinnamon Rainbows this afternoon and they helped me pick out a basic 3/2 full sleeve wetsuit that seems to fit pretty well. Great store, nice to have one so close by! (Raf- next time I'm up to Portland, I'll check out your store too.)

I'll see how it goes with this, and if my feet go numb, I'll add some boots to get me through to the warmer weather.

Can't wait to hit the water this weekend!

Luke

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal