Author Topic: Want to try Naish Nalu 11'6" in BC - north Washington  (Read 5401 times)

Galactic Waterman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Want to try Naish Nalu 11'6" in BC - north Washington
« on: April 26, 2011, 01:41:57 AM »
I'm in lower mainland in BC and would like to try a Naish Nalu 11'6" to see how it fits my weight.
I'm willing to drive as far south as Seattle and anywhere in the lower coastal region of BC.
If anyone know where to try one, please let me know.

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
Re: Want to try Naish Nalu 11'6" in BC - north Washington
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2011, 05:53:41 AM »
If you want to come to Edmonton . . . I have one on my demo fleet.

Closer to you - try Pacific Boarder in Vancouver - they sell Naish -  might have a rental / demo for you to try.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

jlapp

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2011, 01:12:45 PM »
Maybe not as close but Urban Surf in Seattle has one in their demo fleet.  You can call ahead and reserve it.

I've tried it last summer on my second attempt at the sport and liked it better than the Starboard Big Easy or Whopper that we rented at the same time.  It was a windy choppy day and the extra volume of the board made it feel better to me despite being narrower than the other two.

I also took the same board out with my daughter a few weeks ago, another windy day but not much chop (no boats out).  She was on the Nalu, but we swapped for a while and enjoyed it even more now that I have my legs under me a bit!  She was terrified of it the first time but liked it this time.

FWIW
John
14' Surftech Bark Expedition
86" Quick Blade Sweeper
5'11"
198lbs

JP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2011, 02:30:12 PM »
I own one that I would be willing to sell. It's less than a year old, and in very good condition. I'll be in the Okanagan (Kelowna) sometime towards the end of May.  If you're still interested at that time, just let me know.  Good all-around, recreational type board. I weighed about 205 last year and found it very stable. I would think it could handle a lot more weight fairly easily.

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2011, 03:40:58 PM »
Hi,
I live in White Rock and own a Nalu 11,6 ast. I bought it 1 year ago from Pacific Boarder. You are free to try out if you like but I am in Bogota Columbia for 2 weeks. I went from riding a 11,6 Laird for 2 years to the Nalu. Way more stable due to the width and thickness. It has the same thickness as the glide. I have even done downwinders with it! I think it is a great everything board. I may be selling it in the future as my focus is on distance and downwind.

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 04:31:37 PM »
I own one that I would be willing to sell. It's less than a year old, and in very good condition. I'll be in the Okanagan (Kelowna) sometime towards the end of May.  If you're still interested at that time, just let me know.  Good all-around, recreational type board. I weighed about 205 last year and found it very stable. I would think it could handle a lot more weight fairly easily.

A comment to the weight. I had this and when I was well over 200lb the board would easily hold both me and my wife.

Galactic Waterman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2011, 12:50:12 AM »
Thanks everyone for posting.
Yeah, I'd like to try the board before I purchase one (used or new, doesn't mater).
I'm not in a big hurry as I have a Starboard 12'2" which I got last year and learned on it.
But at 26 5/8” wide and 4.5" thick it does not allow me to move my feet on it much and I have to maintain a central position or it'll tip over to one side. That's a result of my 250lb weight.
I need a board with more volume and a bit wider too.
Learning on it last year was fun though. First session I was falling off like a drunk monkey, but by 3rd session I was ok and could handle some chop without falling off much :)
And since it doubles as a windsurfer, I was able to learn windsurfing too.

Galactic Waterman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2011, 01:00:20 AM »
Hi,
I live in White Rock and own a Nalu 11,6 ast. I bought it 1 year ago from Pacific Boarder. You are free to try out if you like but I am in Bogota Columbia for 2 weeks. I went from riding a 11,6 Laird for 2 years to the Nalu. Way more stable due to the width and thickness. It has the same thickness as the glide. I have even done downwinders with it! I think it is a great everything board. I may be selling it in the future as my focus is on distance and downwind.

Thanks corlot. I go to White Rock at least once a week to work. I live in Burnaby.
I'd be very greatfull if you'd let me try it as that would allow me to finalize my purchasing decision.
 Two weeks is no problem as I'm not in a big hurry.
The weather has not been great so far even though I did go for a two hour paddle off Deep Cove last Saturday (the only "warm" day we've had so far at only 15C).
I'll contact you in couple weeks then if I haven't found another place locally to try.

Galactic Waterman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 01:04:24 AM »

Thanks JP, I might make it a couple days quick vacation and come to Kelowna if I haven't purchased one locally by then.
Is yours a 2010 model with a windsurfing mast insert? Ast or wood?

tautologies

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 01:11:11 AM »
Thanks everyone for posting.
Yeah, I'd like to try the board before I purchase one (used or new, doesn't mater).
I'm not in a big hurry as I have a Starboard 12'2" which I got last year and learned on it.
But at 26 5/8” wide and 4.5" thick it does not allow me to move my feet on it much and I have to maintain a central position or it'll tip over to one side. That's a result of my 250lb weight.
I need a board with more volume and a bit wider too.
Learning on it last year was fun though. First session I was falling off like a drunk monkey, but by 3rd session I was ok and could handle some chop without falling off much :)
And since it doubles as a windsurfer, I was able to learn windsurfing too.

hey consider the 10 mana too. Unless you only do flat water riding, that board might give you a huge edge in waves :-)

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 09:23:44 AM »
 Just to add to what everyone else has said: the big Nalu will float an army, and is the most stable board I've been on so far. The secondary stability is amazing, and my feet stay drier than on a 12' Glide  ;D
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

Galactic Waterman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2011, 11:05:52 AM »
hey consider the 10 mana too. Unless you only do flat water riding, that board might give you a huge edge in waves :-)

Thanks tautologies. I've read a lot of good things about the Mana.
But we have almost no waves around here so I do mostly flat water paddling and although the Mana does have good volume at 210L, I should probably go for a bit thicker  board with more volume.
The Mana would be my number one choice for a wave board  and/or a second board.

corlot

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 01:24:34 PM »
No worries,
I think the best thing you can do is try before you buy. it is the most stable board I have tried and pretty fast!
I am back on may 08.

JP

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2011, 05:51:57 PM »
Yes, mine is a 2010 model. It is AST with the windsurfing mast insert. I can send you pics if you're still interested, after you have demo'd one.

Galactic Waterman

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2011, 10:07:52 AM »
Yes, mine is a 2010 model. It is AST with the windsurfing mast insert. I can send you pics if you're still interested, after you have demo'd one.

Great, I'd be definitely interested unless I get one before then, maybe from corlot  ::)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal