Author Topic: Good price or taken advantage of?  (Read 2243 times)

Voodoo33

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Good price or taken advantage of?
« on: April 18, 2011, 08:47:22 AM »
I just got a Starboard 10ft Whopper. It was used as a rental before I saved it.  It had a few dings here and there and seems a little sun faded. The shop I bought it from is doing the repairs for free and I got a used carbon paddle with it as well. The paddle has a spot that's been epoxied also but still, it's a paddle. I paid $750. Did I get ripped or is this a good price for a good starter board?  I'm totaly new to the sport and seriously don't want to be taken advantage of. I hate being a newb.

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Good price or taken advantage of?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 08:51:34 AM »
Good deal.. :)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

Bulky

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 01:02:30 PM »
Ditto.  You would have paid $1800-$2000 for that gear new.  I'm a big fan of buying used until you really know you like the sport and what kind of gear you want.  My only hope is that you're relatively large (~200lbs) and wanting to catch waves as that's who the Whopper is for.  It's a really fun board, but would be pretty tiresome if you're wanting to do distance stuff.
Santa Barbara, CA

SIC RS 14x24.5
Infinity Blackfish 14'
Naish Glide 14' (2012)
SupSports Hammer 8'11
Starboard WidePoint 10'5
Ke Nalu Mana, Konihi, Maliko

mike2jay1

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 10:13:11 PM »
You got a good deal

Voodoo33

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 06:18:13 AM »
Bully, no I'm not really large, but do want to catch waves.  Not many waves around here to catch though sad to say. I'm not really into distance just yet, but wanted a good all around board that I can learn on and get comfy with.  I like it so far, but have only taken it out one day! It makes me feel better knowing I didn't get ripped. Thanks for the input all.

SlatchJim

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 04:16:24 PM »
I say decent deal.  It's not a new Porsche Carrera for $50 in an angry divorce backstab (I knew friends of the lucky kid who got the car), but it's a solid value.

To prove it, you can survey used SUPs on the Paddle Surf Warehouse used board listing or Craig's List, and I think you'll find a few newer boards but they cost a significant bit more.  There are few advertised deals anymore with all the growth of the sport so most decent used boards have interest before listings are necessary.  Ride the board and enjoy the extra $500+ which will be a sound down payment for the new board you'll earn after your skills have been polished to a shine.

Hope to see you out there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal