Author Topic: My pics of the new Starboard Race.  (Read 11662 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
My pics of the new Starboard Race.
« on: April 17, 2011, 01:10:12 AM »
My friend Warwick just recieved his new 12'6" Starboard flat water race board and it's very different to the older 'new' board with its deep foot wells.

It looks more like a smaller 'flat water' version of the bigger 14' Open Ocean board.

DJ

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Re: My pics of the new Starboard Race.
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 05:34:32 PM »
Thanks for the pics. Looks really nice.

How is your friend liking the Race in the chop and glassy conditions? I noticed that this has handles instead of a grab hold in the centre of the board, with what looks inserts for tie downs up front. Starboard has pictures on their site with no handles, no inserts up front, but there is a hand hold in the centre of the board. I take it this is a stock model?

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 07:27:41 AM »
Thanks for the pics DJ. Excellent work as usual.

That board, although called the Race, is not the successor to last year's NEW race board. It's actually the replacement for the old Surf Race and comes in 3 widths. The one in the photos is the middle width.

The Ace is the replacement for the NEW.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 08:46:20 AM »
Argosi,

Who is on first?

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 08:51:27 AM »
I thought of getting the Surf Race but wanted a racier board, so I got the NEW board. But then the new Race looked pretty nice and better than the Surf Race but it may not be racy enough for flat water races. The new Ace looks great for flat water and more stable than my old NEW board but I figured there wasn't that much of a difference to get rid of my old NEW board and get the new Ace.  I hope this clears things up for you Tim.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 21, 2011, 09:07:38 AM by Argosi »

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:54:06 AM »

That board, although called the Race, is not the successor to last year's NEW race board. It's actually the replacement for the old Surf Race and comes in 3 widths. The one in the photos is the middle width.

You're right.. Thanks for clearing that up..  ;D .. So the NEW is now old?...  ;D

DJ

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 09:27:29 AM »
I thought of getting the Surf Race but wanted a racier board, so I got the NEW board. But then the new Race looked pretty nice and better than the Surf Race but it may not be racy enough for flat water races. The new Ace looks great for flat water and more stable than my old NEW board but I figured there wasn't that much of a difference to get rid of my old NEW board and get the new Ace.  I hope this clears things up for you Tim.  ;D

LOL. Well, from the pics the Race looks like a good compromise between a flat water and open ocean board. Looking forward to some ride reports on this thing. Could be a great touring/expedition do anything board as well.

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 10:46:41 AM »

You're right.. Thanks for clearing that up..  ;D .. So the NEW is now old?...  ;D

DJ
Naming a board the "New" might not have been the smartest thing, in retrospect.  But it's still better than Starboard's "Candy AST". (LaPerouseBay pointed that one out a while ago.)

sbsup11

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 11:33:32 AM »

DJ
Naming a board the "New" might not have been the smartest thing, in retrospect.  But it's still better than Starboard's "Candy AST". (LaPerouseBay pointed that one out a while ago.)

hahaha

Argosi

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 12:19:36 PM »

[/quote]

I guess better Candy than Jack.

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 05:33:15 AM »
Thanks for the pics. Looks really nice.

How is your friend liking the Race in the chop and glassy conditions? I noticed that this has handles instead of a grab hold in the centre of the board, with what looks inserts for tie downs up front. Starboard has pictures on their site with no handles, no inserts up front, but there is a hand hold in the centre of the board. I take it this is a stock model?

Yes.. It's the stock model.

DJ

sbsup11

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 11:17:18 AM »

I guess better Candy than Jack.
[/quote]

Jack AST, Smart AST, Dumb AST... ah geez...

hdearing

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 11:08:51 AM »
DJ

I posted in general discussion, but you are probably the best person to ask directly, have you heard of a 14 foot Starboard "Free Race" 2010?  Local dealer said he could bring one in for me. I have the 12'6 Free Race and want move up to something longer. Just not sure exactly what board he is referring to?  Any insight is really appreciated.

Aloha
Hal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 05:29:21 PM »
DJ

I posted in general discussion, but you are probably the best person to ask directly, have you heard of a 14 foot Starboard "Free Race" 2010?  Local dealer said he could bring one in for me. I have the 12'6 Free Race and want move up to something longer. Just not sure exactly what board he is referring to?  Any insight is really appreciated.

Aloha
Hal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've not seen one in person but I did see a pic of one here once but can't find it now.. I think it's one of these pics from the WarDog site.

http://blog.surfingsports.com/tag/2010-starboard-race-sup

DJ

Here it is.. (I think).. It looks good.

SwampSup

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 06:11:04 PM »
Nice DJ,

What is the length of that fin?
If you are not living on the edge; you are taking up too much room!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal