Author Topic: Which is the best pump to rich 15 psi ?  (Read 18488 times)

fiftyfive

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Which is the best pump to rich 15 psi ?
« on: April 11, 2011, 08:56:09 PM »
Lots of pumps around ;D, but not many can inflate the C4 iSUP to 15 psi ;)
Which one can do it? :o
Which one is the best? :-*
and
Which one is the most durable? ???
It is essential accessory, kept in a dark. 8)
Can make or brake your day, you start and finish with it.:-\
Opinions , please.:D
Thanks! :)

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Which is the best pump to rich 15 psi ?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 09:20:41 PM »
I have three MANUAL pumps for my ULI, and I hate them all. I finally rigged an attachment to any air compressor. When we are on a trip, I'll drive looking for a gas station with an air pump. I put a regulator inline, and set it to 20psi, and SHAZAM! I've had it nice and firm for a couple of years now. :)
It's not overhead to me!
8'8" L-41 ST and a whole pile of boards I rarely use.

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:24:26 PM »
The K100 pump is fantastic.  Pump with the c4 pump just until it gets a little difficult then use the k-100 pump to take to high pressure. 
Jill

bigdom

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2011, 02:20:45 AM »
what about a small pump for travel ?

i dont mind if it takes a while to pump up to pressure

fiftyfive

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 03:19:19 AM »
I have three MANUAL pumps for my ULI, and I hate them all. I finally rigged an attachment to any air compressor. When we are on a trip, I'll drive looking for a gas station with an air pump. I put a regulator inline, and set it to 20psi, and SHAZAM! I've had it nice and firm for a couple of years now. :)
Eeho-o-o-o! Super! Very, very smart. I like that! But, how to get connected? Will you show some pics of the regulator/adapter, please. And what are the names and models of your pumps, so I can avoid them?
 Thanks for the idea!

fiftyfive

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2011, 03:25:11 AM »
The K100 pump is fantastic.  Pump with the c4 pump just until it gets a little difficult then use the k-100 pump to take to high pressure. 
Jill
Thanks JillRide45!
Do I need a special adapter to connect the K pump-100 to the C4 valve? Can I use just one K pump for full inflation, so eliminate using two pumps? Can the K pump-200 do it? Or K pump-100 can do it all the way?
Thanks!

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2011, 07:42:44 AM »
The K100 pump does not have the C4 valve adapter.  All you do is place the K-100 tip over the valve of the C4 and start pumping.  The normal valve lock adapter is just used to hold the flexible tube in place on the larger floor pump.  The K-100 pump does not have a flexible hose.

Can you use just one pump?  The absolute best setup I have found is the C4 pump for quick large volume initial air, then the K100 for top off.  For overnight trips the K-100 is easily carried on the board with a patch kit inside the travel bag.  There are basically 2 companies that make inflatable top-off pumps, K-pumps and Easy Pumps.  The pump ULI supplies with their boards is the Easy Pump that is modified to be a floor pump. This Easy Pump is the model comparable to the K-100 pump.  The thing I do not like about this set up is it takes forever to get the ULI up to 12psi with the Easy Pump.  Really need a higher volume or dual action pump for the lower pressure.

As to will the K-200 do it.  Looking at the Specs the K-200 and K-100 should have the same resistance (both are 3" in diameter), but the K200 is 11" longer so more volume/stroke.  You really would have to give it a try.  I find I would not want to carry anything longer than the K100 on the board.   

I hope this helps.  Cheers, Jill

fiftyfive

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2011, 09:13:37 PM »
Hello JillRide45,
Thanks a lot for the great description.
 I red a lot of your postings. I can see the experience and knowledge.
I will follow your expertise and will go for the K pump-100. It looks like the best choice for use with sup.
Your input always appreciated. Thanks for being around.
Would've been great paddling in your company and partnership!

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 10:42:37 PM »
Ok, it ain't pretty, but it gets the job done fast. More paddle time, less blisters! ;D
It's not overhead to me!

rcfa

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 11:15:23 PM »
Hi TallDude 1,

I really liked that !! Cool !!  ;D

Very good creative job !

Ren

David K

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2011, 05:42:40 AM »

Interesting.  How old are your ULI pumps?  I got an ULI a month ago and found it easier to inflate than I was anticipating. 

What about contaminants in the compressed air?  ULi suggest you not use a compressor due to the likelihood that oil/lubricants/etc and other contaminates will enter into the board and harm the interior material and valves (or something).

Anyway, whatever pump came with our new ULI seems to work fine.  No problem reaching 15 plus psi. 

David K

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2011, 08:33:01 AM »
Hi fiftyfive,

If you are in So Cal drop and by and try out the K-100 pump.  We are in Irvine if you want to try it out.

Just PM me.

Jill

TallDude

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Capistrano Beach
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2011, 09:06:37 AM »
I have an old original ULI 'Steamroller'. No kevlar stringers. The original ULI's are tanks. Perfect for whitewater SUP'n, which I want to try this summer. Mine is probably 5 years old. I bought it used 2 years ago from a guy I know. The newer light wieght inflatables are no so durable. My friend has a few of the newer light wieght ones, and has had some leak issues due to wear and tear. You have to treat the new ones just like a glassed board. Mine, being the older heavier style, can a beating like letting my kids drag it across the rocks to the beach. I leave it inflated pretty much all year, and it may drop 5 pounds of air in that time. I don't really worry about a minute amout of pollutants that might get in from a compressor. It would be mostly water mixed in with the air, with is just a result of compressing the air. Two of my pumps are an old and a newer version of low pressure ULI pumps. I have a high pressure, low volume ULI pump (mfg by E Z pumps) as well. I just found a great link to pumps and pump parts. Not that I plan to do any manual pumping myself..... ::) http://www.whitewaterdesigns.com/home/wd3/smartlist_76/ez_raft_pumps__values.html
It's not overhead to me!

JillRide45

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2011, 02:58:31 PM »
Here is a great explanation of the difference between the EZ pump and K-100 /200 pumps.  I got this from
http://www.theboatpeople.com/product_info.php?cPath=40&products_id=244

-----------------------------------------------------
The smallest of our three K-pumps, they K-100, looks very similiar to the EZ Pump but without the handle harness. It has a more comfortable mushroom shaped plunger grip and is the same outside diameter as the EZ, but about 1/8" larger on the inside. If you are looking for a mongo-heavy duty pump that you can drop out of an airplane, the EZ Pump is unsurpassed. For most folks the K-Pumps are an excellent option though, since they pump with even less resistance than the EZ Pump.

The K-100 and K-200 models have the most effortless action of any manual pump made. This is due in part to them having no check valve, with the reasoning that almost all modern inflatables already have one-way valves for air inflation. If you need one equipped with a check valve, it's no problem, just let us know. Or, go with the EZ Pump, which does have a check valve. All K-pumps come with a semi-waterproof stash bag like the EZ Pump.

Each K-Pump has a two-year warranty and an extra O-ring hidden inside the front end of the main body. They also come with a soft-tip adaptor and two rigid tip inserts to ensure they will work with almost any boat. ALL barrel style pumps should be re-lubed once per season, or more often if your usage is heavy.

---------------------------------------------

Hope this helps.  Jill

rcfa

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 05:22:25 PM »
You know...

I have had the older Uli (sold) and the newer one (GL2).

I had been looking for an electrical pump for quite a while in the past ...exactly to avoid the possible "things" that can go into the board when using the heavy duty compressors. 

I personally find that the new Uli Pumps work really WELL !!
But I do admit that "pumping" for about 15 minutes is not the best "warm up" exercise at all !  :(

But compared to the older (higher volume - Gray) ULI pumps, this one takes the board EASILY to 20 psi ! I have to pay attention to not go over it ! I tried to keep between 18PSI. (see picture)

But I do keep the Old pump around !! Main Reason... The double action !
It has more volume and pumps on the way Down and Up !  ;D
PLUS, it helps deflates the board to almost a vacuum, what makes it really easy to fit on my travel bags !  ;)

My experience has been that it takes a LOT OF time (and pumping strokes) to get to around 8psi.
That is when the board takes form and get "firm".
Also it is around that psi that the double action pumping on the UP stroke will become hard.

But after that, switching to the new Uli Pump, it gets to a higher psi pretty fast !

When I was looking for an electrical pump, I was just looking for something that would bring it to about 5 or 6 psi.... which as I said, I consider the "pain" part.
It ended up that "any good" electrical pump was TOO Expensive, and I still had to use the manual pump any way !  ???

So the solution has been ... I keep it inflated most of the time !
I just deflated if I am traveling ... whether by plane, or by car. It is easier to carry it this way...and safer for the board too !  :)

Well.. those were my 17 cents !

Ren

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal