Author Topic: Anyone travel with their paddle past airline security?  (Read 3738 times)

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
Anyone travel with their paddle past airline security?
« on: April 10, 2011, 12:16:48 PM »
I'm thinking of selling my ULI -- the $100 roundtrip for check in is driving me up the fricking wall -- but am contemplating keeping my three piece Werner paddle to bring with me to places where I might rent a board.

but i only want to do that if i can bring it with me as a carry on.  my one time attempting that didn't work out.  they made me take it out of the bag, they sighted down one of the tubes, they conferred with their superiors, they told me to check it or lose it.  naturally i ran and was able to stuff it inside my ULI bag, which is how i've done it ever since.  but if i sell the ULI, that'll no longer be possible.

so ... has anyone else had this problem?  what can be done about it?  anything?

thanks!

csx355

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone travel with their paddle past airline security?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 02:34:15 PM »
Hey Linter - surely you can get all the kit for warm destination travel into one holdall along with the ULI. (have you got the Lopez light or the Steamroller?).

Granted the Werner makes things difficult because it splits into uneven lengths that I find will not always pack easily.  But getting shot of the ULI is like throwing the baby out with the bath water.

Perhaps we should canvas Werner to 'even up' the paddle breakdown so that it all goes into the one holdall.  Is the $100 because you are checking two bags? Regards Steve

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2011, 03:41:40 PM »
I just bought a 3 piece Fuse and plan to check when traveling. I'll be surprised if they'll ever allow a carbon fibre paddle to fly carry on.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

steamroller

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2011, 04:05:05 PM »
yup... been there done that...i feel your pain...

the GLX lopez/paddle/pump will fit into a carryon that is NOT the required size...its bigger...

i flew with it back and forth a couple of times in a bag that was slightly bigger than that stainless steel measuring frame they have at the check in counter at the airport...at that time the TSA guys didnt care as long as it fit in the x-ray machine...

the last few times i  flew however they made me try to stuff it into the measuring frame as it didnt fit...ended up checking it and paying...

>:(

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2011, 05:34:46 PM »
Well, crap.  Double crap.  Crap Crap.

Steve, another reason I'm selling my ULI -- it's a Steamroller, by the way, 10', the lighter version -- is because I have a hard time balancing on it.  Yeah, Yeah, I know.  And I weigh all of 175 or 180.  But I have some neurological stability issues that can play havoc w/ me, and they sure do on the 'roller.  So, yeah, there's that, and then there's the $50 each way on the flight.

Boy, I'd really hoped to fly the paddle free.  The times I've rented, the boards have been fine; it's the paddles that really suck.

Durn.

dstgean

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2011, 06:34:22 PM »
Do you normally check a bag?  If so make it the Uli or since it unstable for you, rent something stable & stick your paddle in your checked bagage.  I can fit my tripod and light stands for photography in my checked luggage, so a breakdown paddle should be doable.  I think TSA guys are more camera friendly than paddle friendly though.

Dan

csx355

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2011, 11:53:53 PM »
Try and get a session on the new Fat Ass Quad - the board is super stable yet still manages to be  VERY loose in the tail. The board is also a noseriders dream, not that I'm much of a noserider.
It took me a couple of sessions to get comfortable with it because of the boards that I had been riding, and that it needs a slightly more relaxed style,  but I am warming to it massively everytime I take it out. It also makes a brilliant fishing platform.
At 9'3 x 33" when you roll it up it will  be wide enough to protect the Werner if you pack it in the centre. The FAQ is heavier than my old Lopez but you should still be able to get away with one checked bag if you are careful with the packing.

One things for sure - you will not have any trouble selling the Steamroller - my used ULI's never hang around for long.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 12:15:39 AM »
I check paddles all the time--one piece, in a bag, along with a couple of sails, a few masts and two booms. I don't get charged extra, it's the only baggage I carry except for my carryon.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2011, 01:03:19 AM »
Oops, Diane just laughed at me, I guess we do pay extra. Never mind.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 03:30:55 AM »
ha ha, that's vvvery funny, bill.  and telling!

dan: i never check bags.  as these airline fees just piss me off, and i won't do anything to encourage them.

steve: are you saying that the FAQ is more stable than the 10' Steamroller?  if so, remarkably so or just somewhat so?

csx355

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 10:32:03 AM »
Way  more stable, and because it's shorter it has a very 'skatey feel' about it as well, the board is not tippy side to side along it's front/rear axis but like all shorter boards has more 'yaw', but to put it into perspective I put my fishing box on the FAQ yesterday and paddled it a good few miles (3-4) without any bother. You can cast comfortably standing or kneeling and I was also sitting side saddle and alternating between all three without issue.

Moving forward to access the tackle box, place the rod in it's holder or stow the paddle was easy and could all be done standing. It was flat calm, but I reckon that's pretty impressive for a board that will also surf.  Might be worth a trial.  Regards Steve.

dstgean

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 01:23:01 PM »

dan: i never check bags.  as these airline fees just piss me off, and i won't do anything to encourage them.

I suppose you can fly SWA--no bag fees.  Planes need a bit of upkeep after an unplanned stop in AZ, but their safety record beats driving across town by a huge margin anyhow.

dstgean

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2011, 01:23:59 PM »
I was just thinking you must really travel light then.  Uli + paddle on your carry on= no room for anything else.

dan

* Recent Posts

post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Dusk Patrol
Today at 12:51:49 PM
post Re: Surfboards (Longboards)
[SUP General]
Night Wing
Today at 06:29:07 AM
post Re: Sunova Faast Pro Allwater 14x27
[Classifieds]
gcs
April 18, 2024, 01:22:14 PM
post Re: SUP Longboard
[Gear Talk]
AndiHL
April 17, 2024, 10:23:58 PM
[Gear Talk]
dietlin
April 17, 2024, 07:54:48 AM
[Gear Talk]
B-Walnut
April 16, 2024, 11:10:15 PM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
finbox
April 16, 2024, 06:05:51 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:33 PM
[Gear Talk]
Tom
April 16, 2024, 04:41:23 PM
[Gear Talk]
Dusk Patrol
April 16, 2024, 11:21:42 AM
[Gear Talk]
firesurf
April 16, 2024, 11:04:18 AM
post Re: Starboard Pro vs. Infinity Blurr v2, thoughts?
[SUP General]
SurfKiteSUP
April 16, 2024, 09:48:08 AM
[Gear Talk]
Badger
April 16, 2024, 06:37:12 AM
post Lahonawinds WIND HAWK-Inflatable Wingboard
[Classifieds]
kitesurferro
April 16, 2024, 05:12:26 AM
post SUP Longboard