Author Topic: New Starboard Open Ocean pics.  (Read 25784 times)

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Starboard Open Ocean pics.
« on: April 07, 2011, 07:54:57 AM »
Today I paddled the new 14' Starboard Open Ocean board and took these pics.. and also some pics showing it next to my 14' Glide so you can see just how different these two boards are.

Sorry to re post them here but I think they belong in this section.. We hope to get a good down-winder this weekend (the forcast is looking good) so we'll get some more pics and vid and see how it goes compared to the 14' Glide.

I'll get my friend with his new 14' Fanatic to come along and we can compare all three..  ;D

DJ

PilonSUP

• Peahi Status
  • Southern zone Costa Rica, Pavones
    • View Profile
    • Costa Rica Stand Up Paddle Boarding
    • Email
Re: New Starboard Open Ocean pics.
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 10:30:16 AM »
Looks like some soft edge's on the O O bottom,I'm so confused :-\

Always look forward to your pics though..
Shawn

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 11:35:24 AM »
The new starboard looks great. Really looking forward to that 3 way comparison review. I wish one of you guys had a SIC 14' to go along.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 01:31:25 PM »
So what did Jonathan think of it? I saw Keith Baxter with a new Starboard the other day that looked like a brushed carbon version of that. Probably for Connor.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

rkdjones

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 01:56:17 PM »
DJ,
Did you get a sense of how much the Starboard weighs?
Robert

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2011, 02:54:22 PM »
Looks like some soft edge's on the O O bottom,I'm so confused :-\

Always look forward to your pics though..
Shawn

Hey Shawn look again at the bottom shot you refer to, after the drain holes there is a sharp rail, it's just tucked under so far you don't expect it to be there - something like an inch further under the board than last years version....

Weight is 25 ish I'm going to have to weigh again the digital scales weren't behaving too well.

Bill this is actually the brushed carbon, used white paint instead of grey this year and didn't sand through but it's a really thin coat of paint so you just see hints of carbon.

I did a more detailed review under another post in Gear Talk, sorry about the double posts, blame DJ and PT Woody. Thanks for the photos guys - have to hand it to DJ for SUP enthusiasm, I'm convinced he was more excited about my new board than I was. Fantastic to have someone so passionate to keep the gear 'buzz' going ;D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 02:56:38 PM by JonathanC »

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2011, 03:10:39 PM »
The new starboard looks great. Really looking forward to that 3 way comparison review. I wish one of you guys had a SIC 14' to go along.

Hey paddledaddy, I had an SIC F14 for a year on Maui but I guess you are referring to the X14, compared to the F14 it feels like way less board, lighter and nimbler feeling. The sensation of standing in the board rather than on the board really changes things. Don't get me wrong, I loved the F14 and now have an F16, must admit I'm  struggling to even come up with comparison points - have to think about it! If we get the big conditions forecast tomorrow it will all make more sense. Partially it's difficult to compare because the Maui conditions are just so different to what we have at home, I am sure that the Starboard is much much easier for me to get onto small messy chop than the F14 or F16 are, but if I was doing a Maliko with 10 or even 20' faces at this stage I'd want to be on one of the F boards.

One of the really nice things I found with the Race 14 yesterday was how relaxing it felt to surf, just super easy to trim and redirect, if that translates to bigger swell it will really be something!

upwinder

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2011, 03:45:19 PM »
I think I've seen my next board (have to build a bigger shed first ;) )
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 03:46:59 PM by armchair_spaceman »
In theory, there should be no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is...
Sheldon Brown

PT Woody

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2011, 08:32:29 PM »
A few more pics of this board for anyone not sick of it yet.  ;D Some of these feature a comparison with the superseded 14' Surf Race.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2011, 08:59:35 PM »
In that last pic... is that a shadow or is it a really big fish tracking dinner?

American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2011, 09:07:10 PM »
Hey--I was going to make that same comment about the shadow!

PT Woody--I especially like seeing these comparision photos with the Surf Race--very interesting to see the small changes and to analyze why they were made. 

lee

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2011, 10:15:09 PM »
I wish my surf race had those drain holes.
Livin the dream @LEE's SUP

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2011, 04:37:33 AM »
In that last pic... is that a shadow or is it a really big fish tracking dinner?

Oh that's just my pet Fluffy, he's fine ;D

paddledaddy

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2011, 07:08:18 AM »
I really like the idea of those sharp rails tucked under so far. If it works right the rounded sides beyond it would give less resistance at slow speeds and the flat bottom to hard edge transition takes effect when the board planes out giving it something to push against. Hmm, maybe that Sysmanki guy knows a thing or two.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2011, 08:48:38 AM »
I think we're all gonna have a lot of boards. Maliko rewards certain design elements, though you can have a great run on a long surfboard. Flatwater, small swells, chop, the steep swells in the Columbia River. I like where Starboard is going with this board.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal