Author Topic: Beach Break Board???  (Read 9519 times)

LBatBeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Casa Bonita Vacation Rentals
    • Email
Beach Break Board???
« on: March 23, 2011, 06:01:01 AM »
I have read all the raves re the Naish Hokua 7'8.  Sounds like an awesome board and might be the right board for me.  I am 160lbs and spend most of my SUP surfing time in Puert Rico riding anything from waist high blown out wind slop to clean glassy double over head ground swell.  My current board is a 9'4x29.5 custom MHL fish.  Outside of SUP, I kite but only prone surf occasionally on a long board.

In april we will head back to Delaware where we have weak beach break surfing.  Last year I hardly SUPd at all.  I have a JL 10'4 Hanalei that is not much fun in a beach break.   

So the question is, what do you all recommend since demo'ing does not seem to be an option. 

I have read good things about the Naish, but also Starboard 8'5 PR or Pro.  Also PSH wide rippers.  For weak east coast summer and fall surf, what do you guys think?? 

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
Re: Beach Break Board???
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 06:13:30 AM »
you cant go wrong with the starboard PR, I have the Hokua 7'8 and really like it, floats great for its size and is super light, takes a few sessions to get it dialed in,  whats wrong with the JL board?
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 06:42:28 AM »
Had my first summer on the PSH 9-6 wide ripper last year (Cape Cod).
200#.
Running it quad .
Works very well in the shore break.....Disclaimer: i will go till i hit dry land, and you need to be careful even if you are bodysurfing....but a sup and paddle just add to the carnage.
I think probably one element to be considered is length and pivot ability, cause you pick up the shorebreak waves very close, you are not lining them up from way outside.  The Ripper does that for me....and likes to ride the rails. 
A longer board will get you in before the thing jacks, but then there is too much length......although in microsurf that is best.

I just got back from Maui were i tested everything, and the board i was most impresssed with in small surf was the Angulo 9...!  Not quite sure it would be as good as the Ripper on it's rails, but lotsa glide for a 9 and bashy (if that's a word)
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

outcast

• Peahi Status
  • Ambassador for Nihilistic Surf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 06:44:01 AM »
Ps..I think the pocket rocket is killer too.....just a tad small for me
Too many for the rack
Some in the shack
Some under decks
Some have straps

LBatBeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 07:30:06 AM »
Thanks guys.  IMO the JL is too long and has too much rocker for the conditions described above.  I have tried the PR.  Very fun to pump it down the line.  Loose. Very stable.  Am wondering if I can go smaller.  I like what I heard from DW regarding the speed of the 7'8n Hokua, but also wondering if it needs more quality small surf to excel.  We dont get a lot of that.

VB

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 11:09:08 AM »
I surf the east coast (VA & NC) and I have found these two boards to cover all the wave conditions.  I use the Pocket Rocket on small mushy days when the waves do not have much power.  On days that are bigger or when the waves are barreling, I use the the 9'2 PSH Wide Ripper.  The ripper excels in late take-offs (which we are stuck doing a lot of the times on the east coast), very loose on the wave, and a great rail to rail movement.  I have not had much success riding the PR on steeper or barreling waves, but according to the board's description it is not really made for that type of wave.  I am about the same weight as you, so I like surfing the shorter SUP boards.  If I had to buy just one board, I would get a ripper.  It is a versatile board and is just a lot of fun to ride.        

LBatBeach

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 01:19:29 PM »
Hi VB.  Thanks for the feedback.  And yes, I plan to only get 1 Board.  That is why I may be thinking that the 7'8 Hokua might be too specialized for the really weak and sloppy days.  My buddy has the PR and he goes about 200lbs and loves it.  I realize one board does a compromise make. 

Boludo

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 01:44:50 PM »
Pocket Rocket is a good fun board.  Even does well in choppy conditions.

VB

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 02:08:31 PM »
I've seen a couple guys surfing 7 foot boards, but they tend to miss more than they catch on an averge EC day.  Most of the time they have to be right at the wave's peak and have to take late drops to catch waves; because of the lack of glide and weaker waves.

fms

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re:
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 03:05:14 PM »
Hey LBatbeach , sorry I've never paddled the Naish, but I really like the  PSH ripper boards. Before you make up your mind check out Dan O'Hara's rocket sup in 8'! One of my favorite boards . www.solisdsurfboards.com

AJR

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 03:40:17 PM »
I've got a Solid Surfco Mariner and it's doing well for me so far - I think the fuller nose helps on the days the waves are smaller & less powerful (plus it's 8'6"x29"x4.25" and I'm 210 lbs and I don't think I could balance a board that small with a pulled in nose - yet!!)...

madmax

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2011, 04:25:35 PM »
Man, I just tried (yeah...tried is right!)  that Hokua.  My hats off to you guys that paddle those little boards.  Holy Cow!

chipmonk

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2011, 07:28:57 PM »
Another vote for the PSH Bamboo rippers...I am 140lbs, just sold the 8'6 and found it to work very, very well in beachbreak. Mine was not the narrow one, you also may not need the wide at 160lbs...

banzai

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2011, 08:17:58 PM »
I haven't tried my PSH 8'6" reg bamboo in a beach break, however it surfs great in steep juicy waves. When conditions are nice, the board rips, almost like riding my 6' reg surfboard. I'm similar size 150lbs but find it a bit too wobbly in choppy conditions. I prefer to use my PSH 9'3" ripper when the wind is blowing.

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2011, 03:55:26 AM »
 At your weight and skill, our 8'8 Nah Skwell 'Surf Series' would be a great board for you. It's 18 lbs and has the best outline, thickness flow and volume distribution in the business. Nahs are made by AHD-Tridenn (Advanced Hull Dynamics). These guys have been making sandwich composites for more than 23 years going back to the windsurfing heydays... PM me if you want more info and pics... Paddle On,     JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal