Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403293 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2011, 05:43:18 PM »
Talked to some of the OC1 paddlers who reported massive triple staircase drops outside Pauwela light.  One said he was ejected after dropping into the biggest he's ever experienced and this guy is a top tier paddler.  Sounded intense.  He described the conditions up to Maliko from Keanae similar to icy windblown crust for skiing and then turning to perfect groom from Maliko to the harbor.  But some of the stand up paddlers described the Maliko to the harbor run as confused.   Sounds like the OC1 was the craft to have yesterday.   Great pics Larry.  What's the mileage from Keanae to the harbor? 

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2011, 10:02:31 PM »
The run is 25 miles.  I heard second-hand that Kai won yesterday - over Jimmy Austin - with a time of 2:20.  That's an average speed of 10.7 mph.  I was about an hour behind them at 7.9 mph.  I had 6 miles to go when they finished.  

Holy crap, for an elite paddler to say he got ejected on the biggest drop he's done is a big deal.  Those guys get into some heavy waves.   

IMO, the stories the elite oc paddlers have are the best part of Kelly's shuttle.  The story Dave K. has about chasing (and catching) Laird is a mind bender for sure.  But it's the tip of the iceberg when guys like Kai start talking.

Sol was telling us on yesterday's shuttle that he chatted with Kai and some teamates at Makena landing last week  They had just done a run from Kaupo.  Sol said some of them had 'big eyes' and said it was big out on the alenuihaha channel.  

Truly an awe inspiring sport.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 10:13:06 PM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2011, 01:11:15 AM »
Triple staircase!! perfect. that's the term I've been looking for to describe those swells. I wonder what makes them look like that. Is it swells stacking on swells? A drop of about ten feet, then a flat, then another drop, and sometimes a third. Looks like a cut in the ocean, not a swell. I love those things. Those and the long textured slopes that go down and down. I don't have words for most of this stuff.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

CMC

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2011, 03:58:16 PM »
If you want to see some epic Hawaiian OC footage check this out.

It is footage of the Pa'a Eono Hoe Open 6 man iron race.  HUGE Molokai channel and bump riding.  It also has a great story on the Napoleans, OC1 Maliko Race, SUP surfing.

This is a great show, those of you in Hawaii do you get to watch this show on TV?

http://www.oc16.tv/shows/31    Click on episode 32 to watch the episode.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2011, 10:36:56 PM »
I picked up the staircase term when I was up in BC snowboarding with maniacs.

Well today I did a run with PB on his new Bullet for his third run on the board.  It was much more organized than the last several daz.  P Bill left the ramp just ahead of me on my 16.  We get out and turn downwind and Bill just starts connecting like nobody's business.  I can't seem to buy a glide in that initial stretch outside of the gulch and every time I glance at Bill, he's in his crouch, not paddling and going fast.    I start hammering and I get close but can't really pass him.  Now, I knew he was on a heavy board before and that was slowing him down, but I could never imagine what a difference this new board would make for him.  It was really astounding.  Although the conditions were perfect for the Bullet,  I saw the carnage of leg cuts and swollen knee from his first two runs and had my fingers crossed for him but today's third time was a charm.  He was pretty damn happy and I'm pretty excited to get my hands on mine in a few weeks.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2011, 09:16:52 AM »
Yesterday was another smokin day.  This has been quite a roll of epic conditions.  Usually these very strong wind events last only a few days but this has been two weeks solid since the tsunami.   I went with PBill and we switched boards about mid-way so I could take a spin on his Bullet.  I had used it before but in much lighter winds and was wondering how it would behave in the strong stuff.  PBill's ability on it was improving remarkably day by day so I was keen to give it another go.  It's slated as a lighter wind board so it was nice to compare it with my Chinese 16 I got last July.  When I first got on the Bullet after my 16, I immediately noticed the difference in stability.  In light water, no problem but in heavy seas I got up tentatively like the geezer I am.  Knew my salvation would be getting the blade in the water and when I did the board took off immediately.  Scary immediately.  Hold on to your hat kind.  All the smaller glides that I catch with the 16 were just as easy but I was also able to run down the big east rolls straight on without having to catch smaller ones to get up to speed to bag them.  My 16 catches the big rolls only after a series of sideways connections then kick the rudder off straight downwind to take the big drop... like testing the middle with a bunch of short passes before the QB goes long.  With the Bullet you can go long like Mike Vick on the first play.  However the rudder is more sensitive than my 16 and quick footwork is necessary on the steep drops.  Wide sloppy troughs were heaven but short steep ones were where I missed the 16.  On strong wind days like yesterday you get both.  The Bullet railroaded a few bumps for me and seemed like it had a higher top end or maybe it seemed that way because of the length.  The board was certainly going way faster than when I took video of it riding small waves in the harbor last Feb.  I was pleased overall with its high wind capabilities.  Couldn't look around and sightsee like I can on the 16 but as a Mister Toad's wild ride it was fast and fun.  Unfortunately I think this high wind event is nearing the end.  A late season very large groundswell is starting to pound on the outside reef and the focus will shift back to wave riding until the next high moves into place.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2011, 10:11:09 AM »
That was one fine run. I sure love this Bullet, though it's a handful, as my beat up shins attest. When it shakes me off it does it with a little quick side to side movement that leaves me standing in midair about five inches to the side of the board. instead of falling flat I go straight down and a few times have managed to whack my shins on the rails on the way down. But I'm getting the beast tamed, and it's SUCH a great ride. As long as I don't get MRSA in the harbor I'm fine with the price for all that fun.

I had fun when I switched to your F16 too, but it was a lot of work to try to catch up. After we switched again at Kanaha I started picking daisies and thinking about my hacked websites and you got a bit away from me. I bore down and seemed to be catching you, when you hit the big waves leading into the harbor and disappeared like the roadrunner--you just got small suddenly.

On a positive note i figured out how to kill the hack. At least temporarily while I clean the whole site up. Again.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

enden

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2011, 11:02:52 PM »
Rastaman3030, is that your Starboard? How do you like it? Does it glide good and catch the bumps easy?

Takeo

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Takeo Gyotaku - "Fish Prints With Aloha"
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2011, 12:08:22 AM »
Bill and Bill,
I picked up a carbon Bullet a few weeks ago and my experiences are just as you both described them.  In comparison to the V2, the Bullet is stable in flat water, but take it out in 7-10 ft swells or bigger and you quickly feel the stability difference.  With the increase in tippiness however, you now have a board that glides on swells that may not be totally to your back, in fact on small swell days, do it right and you can keep the speed up.  It catches the little stuff that the V2 may not.

The rails of the Bullet can be sharp where the two pieces come together.  I've seen a few scraped and bloodied shins.   Getting pitched off the Bullet is not as graceful but I'm assuming once you tame the beast, she'll be one hell of a ride!

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2011, 08:54:14 PM »
It was hardly smokin today, however I really had fun. The wind was around 15 or so and steady. Lots of runners....Didn't have to grind inside the harbor like last week. I suspect it would have been a perfect day if you were on one of those bullets.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2011, 10:54:48 PM »
Yeah, I made the mistake of telling Diane I'd do a beach day because the wind looked light at the house. got to Maliko and it looked pretty good, so I pulled over and called Bill Boyum who was sounding equally antsy about some commitments he had. Went to the southside to combine a little downwind with some beach bobbing with the wife. The wind sucked. The angle sucked. Grumpy guy, though I paddled the Bullet from the boardwalk to Sorrentos. Great board, good training. Wind from the side, swells from every angle except the right one.

Hope we have a good Maliko day tomorrow. I'm getting withdrawal symptoms.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: April 02, 2011, 11:15:32 PM »
I'll go with you tomorrow if it's OK.  Looked a tad light but even grained like 808 said.  I saw a group of OC1s gliding pretty good when I checked it out on my way to do some work.  Got a new phone with a great speakerphone so I don't get busted talking and driving.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2011, 11:04:48 PM »
PBill and I went today with light winds, just barely whitecapping but perfect grain.  Everything was going in the same direction.  I used a smaller 8.7 blade.  Really liked the speed of the stroke better than my 9" blade. 

Microbrewer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2011, 07:57:28 AM »
What is the forecast for thursday and Friday, Bill?  I hope we can make a run!

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2011, 07:43:32 PM »
Made another run sunday. Wind was lighter than Saturday but not by much. Was a little tough getting any long glides from Kanaha to the harbor. All in all a great workout and a fun weekend!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal