Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403282 times)

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #1395 on: September 27, 2015, 10:17:02 AM »
Nice report Cove, and tip of the cap to you guys on standup for going.

Cool pic of Kathy.  She and I have been doing malikos 6 days a week for about 3 weeks now.  It's tough to describe how talented she really is.  I'm just a chump with a lot of determination and a lot of lumps on the head.  She's a true elite athlete, with a lifetime of ocean experience in Hawaii.  We all expected her do do well on ski.  It's been fun to watch her latch on to the ski this past month and try to figure out how to bomb the lefts on the reef.  It's very tough to get the timing just right because the consequences of missing are far worse than on standup.  It's thrilling, because skis fly across a big swell quite rapidly, blasting through anything.  The trick is to trust the boat, lift your eyes to the horizon and time your pull out to zoom into something that will keep you safe as the next bomb comes through.  If you time it correctly, you will be on the face of the next bomb with speed.  Very rewarding.  If you miss the timing and lose hull speed... man that white water can be brutal. 

She's very aware of it.  Experienced in big conditions (on SUP), cautious, patient and super strong.  At only 125 lbs. her water line is very narrow.  That big 10L is very, very challenging at her weight.  My previous boat had that same hull.  My stability was aided tremendously with 50 pounds more weight.  I really smash the boats into the water.   She's on a thin seat pad too, with calf pads... Still working out the bugs.  She's so good.  Note the upright posture, left leg bent.   Man that's hard on a big day.  She's a natural.  So fun to watch her tick off the details in various conditions.  She's let loose on the south shore already, but maliko bombs on the reef are another story.  She will get it.  All the elite girls are sugar and spice and everything nice on dry land, but man, on the water those girls are stone cold killers.

And if anyone is wondering, yes, she's faster than me in all conditions now.  Even yesterday's victory at sea with big bombs.  I'm a bit tired, working 40 plus hours a week and paddling a lot, but that's no excuse.  She's better than I am.  She and Jeremy were doing a lesson up front of me all day, I think they waited for me a few times, but she'd never admit it.  Why should she?  That girl has a lifetime palmares above all but a few athletes in the state. 

Support your local shaper

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: September 27, 2015, 01:20:01 PM »
Thanks cove for resurrecting the thread even though it's no longer summer. Yes it has been a challenging season for paddling here on the valley isle. Thankfully we have had a better than normal summer surf season to keep us amused while we wait for the wind. The kihei runs  with their groomed lines have been fun but one can't help but long for maliko to make an appearance. The southside runs are fun but not nearly as challenging as the north shore. That being said, it was on yesterday on the north shore! The conditions kinda reminded me of the race a year or so ago where the carnage occurred. I went early ( about 11 ) with hopes of doing a double. Started in the gulch with the beautiful brown waves trying to sweep me off the ramp. Couldn't help but get excited as I paddled out of the frothing sea ahead. The wind was just blowing the tops off of everything in sight! I thought 100 yard glides would be the norm however that wasn't the case. I did get a few but most of the energy was rolling under me faster than I could paddle into. The tide must have been quite high as well as it was refracting off the coastline and causing VW size chunks of water to rise up all around me. Connecting bumps and staying upright was the order of the day. The wind died a bit around paia but picked up again as I neared kanaha. The outer reefs were all fired up and ready to take out the inattentive paddler. Made it to the oil tanks in a decent time and had lunch and prepared for a second run with some friends. They decided not to go so I headed home. Today is looking like a good one so off I go... 

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: September 27, 2015, 03:31:51 PM »
Very cool looking Bullet, 808!

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1398 on: May 30, 2016, 03:52:34 PM »

Badger

• Cortez Bank Status
  • Seacoast NH
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: May 30, 2016, 04:37:39 PM »
Holy crap that was a long glide.

Excellent video.
Kalama E3 6'1 x 23" 105L
Axis HPS 980 / PNG 1300
Sunova Flow  8'10 X 31"  119L
Me - 6'0" - 165lbs - 66yo

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1400 on: May 31, 2016, 09:16:16 AM »
Here is another link to that video.

I'm not a facebooker, so it may go away too. 

https://www.facebook.com/surfskieducation/videos/1305146746181704/

The green line swells are harder to see, especially in gopro vids, but they are the key to linking glides.  I wish these guys would do drone footage so the video is more informative. 

kayadogg

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1401 on: February 07, 2017, 07:44:49 AM »
I'll be on Maui for a week in late March. After re-reading a lot of posts, it looks like there's still a perfectly good chance of some good conditions for a Maliko run? I've done a southside run in the past but it was poor conditions and nothing that special. Can any of you regulars give me an idea of my chances of scoring at the end of March? My better half can't make this trip so I'm headed there solo... hmmm, wonder how I'll pass the time...  8)

Thanks!

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: February 07, 2017, 09:44:46 AM »
There's definitely a chance to score Maliko in March. Obviously, it's all about conditions as well as what you're willing and able to handle.

I have only a handful of runs since mid to late October, a few on the north side with some great conditions and some fun south siders too. But, I haven't paddled in good downwind conditions regularly for months now.

This past few days, we've been hit with strong, gusty Kona winds (westerlies). LPB and Kathy have made the most of those conditions by going on reverse Kihei runs. We saw them go by on Sunday when we were walking on the beach and it frankly looked fantastic. I thought about trying the same thing yesterday but a look at the cameras put cold water on that idea. What had been lined up Sunday had turned into ugly looking on-shores by yesterday. I'm pretty sure those guys went anyway. They live on that side and can jump on it if it looks good, and, they know the conditions better than anybody and can handle whatever they get into.

In the past few years, I've had some great March runs on both sides. I've also had some Malikos where I wanted to kiss the sand at the end. Bottom line is to be ready to go because you will have a very decent chance at scoring runs, if you're flexible and willing to paddle where the conditions are cooperating. If it's not windy, you can probably find some surf. Win-win.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1403 on: February 07, 2017, 12:34:14 PM »

What had been lined up Sunday had turned into ugly looking on-shores by yesterday. I'm pretty sure those guys went anyway.

Yes, we did a run and it was super fun.  Best to do that run in boats.  It takes about 15-20 minutes to paddle straight out - upwind before starting downwind.  From there on it's a magic sleigh ride.  It's my all time favorite run. 

The fetch was smaller than a true kona storm event, yet the bombs were thicker than anything you will see on a typical south shore run.  The strategy is just like the north shore.  Avoid the big bombs going to shore and surf down the backs of them to shoot out to sea.  Kathy had her big speedometer display and was noting how she was doing 9-10mph, low effort, going out.  Boats are deceptive that way, video with a speedo taught me that.

Staying out in relatively deep water works best on that run.  The reef sticks way out at the end and those bombs get knarly when they slow down and stack up.  Very hard to manage for me, so I stay out.  Kathy managed them just fine but got a few scares of hollow wave near misses.  Tide was ok, but higher is better.  If it's low, and it's a big day and you can't stay out, that reef will end your run a few miles short.

It gets big at the end of that run, and yesterday was a small day.  Ha, you shouid see the shore break at KCC when it's big.  Timing is everything.  Ride that bomb right in, jamb the nose in the sand and run up the beach, or else.  Kathy didn't and got rolled and dragged for 3 waves in waist high sandy dredgers.  No biggie, she was still in control and laughed about it.  Small kine yard sale.  On a big kona reverse, the shore pound is overhead.  A potential boat smasher.  Beware, and lend a hand.  The wind is vicious.

I stayed further out, within eyesight of Kathy and angled sharply in at the end.  Very similar view and angle to the video I posted above from Tarifa.  Wind in my right ear, angling hard right to get in.  Steep waves.  Very exciting!

I've never seen or heard of anyone doing Sup when its big.  I'm sure the pros could handle, but that's about it.  Even Kathy said "no way" when I mentioned Sup after that run.  It's kinda knarly, but boats excel in that stuff if you can relax and go with the flow.     

South shore in March has some excellent kihei runs kayadogg.  As good as it gets.  Beware the north shore in winter. 

http://youtu.be/s7c36yqw52U

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: February 07, 2017, 08:39:16 PM »
Maliko can hand out some great runs in March, some of my most memorable runs have been the last few days before I headed home. But memorable doesn't mean easy--in fact, it pretty much means exactly the opposite. You can definitely get your ass handed to you in March. Hook up with Boyum for at least your first run. You don't want to make it your last.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1405 on: February 21, 2017, 08:06:04 PM »
Today was maybe the gnarliest Maliko I've ever done.  It was the day one for the new shuttle management and around six of us diehards including Iron Phil and Covesurfer decided to give it a go.  Driving up the ocean surface appeared pretty rough.  The big swell from yesterday had dropped but there was still some today.

Traveling out into the wind line at the transition from the gulch entrance was as rough and choppy as I can ever remember.  When I got outside and turned DW, my fears about conditions were realized.  There were three different crossing swells of considerable size as well as moving moguls moving from every direction.  I needed full focus just to remain standing ...for 10miles.  Stress on my ankle into calf transition  made my calf seize up into an apple size cramp for the last two miles.  Fortunately it was my left, forward foot, tho rudder control was compromised right when the glides had finally become manageable.  I thought about stopping and trying to work it out but the finish was in sight and I just felt like getting in.  I'm very familiar to how one glitch can cascade into another so sometimes it's better to gut out the pain and finish before anything else fails.

In general I couldn't help but think that we should have all just checked into the Molokini Ward of the Hospital. None of us had done a Maliko in awhile so although they were all excellent paddlers (except me) February off N Maui... is mayhem incarnate.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: February 21, 2017, 10:02:40 PM »
And then there's that.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1407 on: February 21, 2017, 10:15:56 PM »
Yikes HM, it's not like you are out of shape or anything either.  You have been paddling very steadily this month.  Just day before yesterday was your "best south shore run ever."  You recently had a no fall run on a borrowed 14 too.  That's pretty good in my book.

PB, you are missing out this winter.  This weekend was all time on the south shore. 

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: February 22, 2017, 01:39:16 PM »
I've been out in bigger conditions but not in anything quite as chaotic as yesterday, and the chaos was what made it so challenging. Pretty much ok until outer Sprecks, then the influence of the reef kicked in and stuff stacked and jacked. I kept flashing on something LPB had said once about even being very far out, you ain't ever 'safe'. The ocean does what it does.  I was super glad to be on a SUP, I don't know how I would have handled in my OC.

I am pretty careful on big days about staying outside, and, for the past 4 years of Maliko's, that has generally worked for me. But yesterday, I got tagged from behind by a breaking swell that I heard breaking. I looked back as a wall of chest high white water bore down on me, rolling me and the board in mayhem. I felt the dreaded leash tug but everything held. But it was like going for a washing machine ride, two miles out. After that, I felt a bit like a deer in the headlights. I didn't even think about getting tagged that way. From then on, I worked at making every wave I could, speed is your friend out there.

JR took one of my pals from the PNW in the OC2. Only JR could have pulled that off. This guy had never even done a Maliko and is recovering from some serious health issues. He fortunately has extensive paddling and downwind experience. He did exceptionally well and he finished the run super stoked. 

It was a rugged day out there. No comparison to the south side on a Maliko day like yesterday. I'll really appreciate my next Kihei run even more. Full shuttle again today but I'm still a bit too rattled and worked to go again.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2017, 01:41:08 PM by covesurfer »

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1409 on: February 24, 2020, 05:37:28 PM »
Well, It's been a while, but I think last Friday's conditions were sponge worthy.  :)

https://youtu.be/dRruxRkw5Y4

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal