Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403302 times)

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #1365 on: April 17, 2015, 07:20:43 AM »
Great pic....

Take care of the knee bro.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: April 17, 2015, 09:20:21 AM »
yeah, that's a great pic. Even more impressive taking backwards while going.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: April 17, 2015, 10:51:18 AM »
That shot really shows off one of the most important aspects of Maliko runs. No, it's not the overhead wind swell, it's the texture on the water. All those little bumps going every direction but up are the way you get into the big bumps. On the southside, and in the gorge, the really big rollers are hard to catch, because the swell is uniform--it all starts at more or less the same place--the beach at Kealia Ponds for the southside, or the last bend in the river in the Gorge. Malikos have a thousand miles of fetch to the east, so the surface is super complex. Add in a 12 foot groundswell from the north that's rolling in from the Bering sea, and you've got one very interesting and useful surface.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Off-Shore

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • HksupaHK SUP and Downwinding
« Reply #1368 on: April 17, 2015, 06:45:14 PM »
BlueCrab. I'm jealous man. That pic is AWESOME, and shows what it is all about. When I paddled in Maui two years ago with JR, we had no wind but I still had a lot of fun and he taught me a lot... I just have to get back there soon.
SB 9' x 33' x 4.1" - RPC 9'8" iSUP - SB All-Star 12'6" - Blue Planet Bump Rider 14 - SB Ace 14 x 27 - RedAir 14' Elite Race - SIC Bullet 14v1 TWC - SICMaui F16v3 Custom

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/HksupaHk_SUP_and_Downwinding

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: April 18, 2015, 07:59:29 PM »
Smokin' today, totally insane. Monster drops.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

stoneaxe

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Cape Cod Bay Challenge
« Reply #1370 on: April 18, 2015, 08:44:57 PM »
Hey Maui crew.....my friend Kim and her husband Bruce are coming out next week. You're going to like her, she's the real deal. I'm sure she's excited to get a Maliko or two or tree under her belt. Very fun folks, show them some aloha.
Bob

8-4 Vec, 9-0 SouthCounty, 9-8 Starboard, 10-4 Foote Triton, 10-6 C4, 12-6 Starboard, 14-0 Vec (babysitting the 18-0 Speedboard) Ke Nalu Molokai, Ke Nalu Maliko, Ke Nalu Wiki Ke Nalu Konihi

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: April 18, 2015, 10:29:06 PM »
Have her call me. Jeremy had a group out today that looked WAY over their heads. It was Maliko Graduate Level today. I did a faceplant that almost took me out. Missed my board by an inch. Fun though, hardly had to paddle--just stay on the board somehow.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: April 19, 2015, 11:26:30 AM »
Bill will probably make sure and try to scare her with sea life and dredging swell stories.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1373 on: April 19, 2015, 09:20:43 PM »
Wow, that was a fun time.  HM and I met up as the reef started to jack up the waves, we tried to chat a bit but ended up trading falls.  So I looked around and decided to high tail it out of there before the ocean devoured me.  I did a nice drop to get some speed.  (Also to show uncle Bill my dive bombing skills).

Here's a pic of the speed at the bottom of the drop, I'll post a clip later.  I can't remember hitting 16 with a nice runout before.  Super fun day.  Woo hoo, summer is here!

Support your local shaper

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1374 on: April 19, 2015, 10:33:22 PM »
Here's a cool screen shot showing a pyramid out front.  The swells of the type on my left ear are smaller and less powerful than the ones on my right ear.  But those bumps on the left are what get me enough hull speed to hopefully get a bit of speed from the big ones.  I'm not fast enough to surf those big lefts (on my right ear) properly, so I take little pieces and let them go under.  Occasionally the stars align and I get lucky and bounce around between the two at speed, but it's rare.  I think my second clip in the upcoming vid has one.  This shot is from the last clip.  As you will see, I'm out of position and cannot make the big face on my right ear.  Pier one is fast and big.  When you work out to the entrance from inside and get one of those correctly it's a real zoomer.

http://youtu.be/M-B9mgvihk4
« Last Edit: April 19, 2015, 11:23:42 PM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: April 20, 2015, 01:16:38 AM »
Yeah, that was pretty nutso. Some big bombers through camp one, and then the last mile and a half looked like the gates of hell, but it was actually pretty easy. It looked horrible but there was energy everywhere so you could just keep going. Only thing was if you fell you were f**ked, and I fell. Took me three tries to get back up. One try was a sprawling face plant--not pretty.

The wind was so strong and so ENE that I was going right the whole run and still barely made the entrance. I made the mistake of taking a left that was just too pretty to pass up. Got a crazy long run with it, but it took me ten or more rights to claw the distance back. Naturally just as I reached the entrance the fricken barge was coming out. And they looked like they were having some issues--angled funny.

My knee held up pretty good, I figured out that if I moved my right leg back and in that I couldn't lean to the right and favor my left knee. That was pretty good, but now my knee sounds like castanets when I walk. Looks like good wind tomorrow too, so it's just gonna have to suck it up.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1376 on: April 20, 2015, 10:15:45 PM »
So much for the knee being OK. I got my ass kicked today. Every time I tried to lean left my knee collapsed inward. That kinda sucked. Fell a lot until I came up with plan B, which is do kind of a fake lean left with lots of rudder, and then flatten the board out with even weight distribution. Kind of cool, but very fast and the outer edge of control.

Coming into the harbor was gates of hell again. I fell a bunch, but then decided "go hard or get on your knees, sissy" so I went hard and charged all the way to the jetty. I was yelling like one of the mongol hordes when I turned the corner, but I didn't fall. I might have chipped a tooth through with all the teeth gnashing. I'm coming apart like a cheap suit.

Wow, I just accidentally went to page two of this thread and found I've been whining about my knee since then--2011!! I've had a surgery and four or five juice injections since them. I might need a more stable board though. This falling crap is getting old.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2015, 10:32:30 PM by PonoBill »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1377 on: April 21, 2015, 12:52:11 AM »
Today was challenging for me.  Maybe the cumulative fallout from 4 straight days of very intense runs after the long winter  lay off.  Cove said yeah it was rough but his bar had been raised by his recent Pailolo adventure and he wasn't overwhelmed like I was.  I gave Livio a ride up to the gulch for a late afternoon solo run for him. Wind was still cranking.  He calculated his run, 57 min.  then home in time for wife and kid. During the ride up he gave a great rendition of his Pailolo race.  The mental focus he has is spectacular.  He had to dismount once to prevent a collision with a whale... one of two falls in 28 very technical miles.  He place 31st overall among all the canoes and of course first in SUP.  Just over 3 hrs.

Yeah I guess the south side runs have kept us in the game but these first warm up scrimmages out of Maliko have seemed like we've jumped right to the super bowl.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: April 21, 2015, 01:34:13 AM »
Under normal circumstances, Maliko would have kicked my ass today. But, my ass whoopin' was out in the channel on Saturday. Although my Molokai race turned out well, and I reached my goal of breaking 4 hours to get to the finish line on Molokai, the Pailolo definitely was takin' names. Conditions were so big in the mid-channel, the mental games were just unbelievable. I did not know how I was going to finish or if I would finish. At one point, after probably my 12th or 14th fall, about 14 miles in, I wondered if I was even capable of making the 5 hour time cutoff. It turned out well, but if I'd known what it was going to be like, I'm not sure I would have had the guts to take it on.

Paddling out of the gulch today, I was really surprised that a big side bennie of racing the channel in such intense conditions was a new zen about the maelstrom of waves and wind. It was really good for my paddling. Instead of predicting the next fall, I found myself just going with the flow. I still fell, 3X, but I was more relaxed than I'd ever been on a Maliko run. And today was crazy. Big east wind swell, crossed up and windy as hell. I sure hope this new confidence lasts! Funny, the mental portion of downwind paddling in open ocean is more than 60% of the picture for me. Maybe even 70%.

I managed a 1:09 today, which is one of my fastest times ever, and my best Maliko time this year. One of the guys I was right behind, who is not only faster than me but also 5 years older, said he felt like he had a slow run when we got in. Oh well, I'm still thrilled with my time. The last mile or mile and a half, the threat of an approaching barge and tug, making for the harbor entrance, propelled me far faster than I think I'd ever have gone without the added motivation. There were a half dozen of us all within a minute or two of each other that reached the harbor and then high tailed it for the beach. But, like lots of times in stand up paddling, 'high tailing it' is a relative term. The wind was screaming across the harbor from our left, with gusts that had to have been close to 45 mph. Clouds of water smoke were blowing sideways. HM said he got blown right off his board.  I managed to stay upright, but a guy in an OC1 was about 10 yards downwind of me and I figured if I fell, there was a damn good chance my board would blow right into him. So, I managed to stay on. But it was like paddling in slow motion through molasses. I just wanted to be clear of the barge. Once we all got on the beach, we watched as the tugs and ginormous barge maneuvered around in all that wind to get the barge tied up. I was so damn glad we made it in before all the real drama began. But, that was closer than I'd ever like to be again.

Still, today was amazing. First time I've ever felt relaxed in conditions like that. It's a whole new way of looking at the run. Can't wait to see what tomorrow brings. 

yugi

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1379 on: April 21, 2015, 01:58:32 AM »
Under normal circumstances, Maliko would have kicked my ass today. But, my ass whoopin’ was out in the channel on Saturday. Although my Molokai race turned out well, and I reached my goal of breaking 4 hours to get to the finish line on Molokai, the Pailolo definitely was takin’ names. Conditions were so big in the mid-channel, the mental games were just unbelievable. I did not know how I was going to finish or if I would finish. At one point, after probably my 12th or 14th fall, about 14 miles in, I wondered if I was even capable of making the 5 hour time cutoff. It turned out well, but if I’d known what it was going to be like, I’m not sure I would have had the guts to take it on.

Paddling out of the gulch today, I was really surprised that a big side bennie of racing the channel in such intense conditions was a new zen about the maelstrom of waves and wind. It was really good for my paddling. Instead of predicting the next fall, I found myself just going with the flow. I still fell, 3X, but I was more relaxed than I’d ever been on a Maliko run. And today was crazy. Big east wind swell, crossed up and windy as hell. I sure hope this new confidence lasts! Funny, the mental portion of downwind paddling in open ocean is more than 60% of the picture for me. Maybe even 70%.

Exactly! There’s a ski school, the Harri Go Faster ski school, based on exactly that premise. That learning begins once you leave your comfort zone. Push the envelope, freak out, and when you get back the stuff you were doing before it suddenly seems like a walk in the park.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal