Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403304 times)

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #1290 on: December 07, 2014, 07:43:35 AM »
They start young in Tahiti. 

Support your local shaper

supdiscobay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1291 on: December 07, 2014, 08:19:36 AM »
Great Job HM!!!
Didn't think it would take long for you to catch on to something new.

Last week I was amazed at how fast those skiis flew by us.  Nothing like having a new toy on the list to buy someday.
8'5" Starboard Pocket Rocket, 8'0" Kazuma Fugu custom,  8'10" Kings Sidewinder, 10' Starboard Noserider, 14' BARK Carbon Dominator, SIC F16 V3, KeNalu and Quickblade paddles, 19' Eaton Prone, 67" Goode 9700

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: December 18, 2014, 09:04:16 PM »
Tough Maliko today--for me anyway. We had just about every possible condition--oily and not much wind on top, monster swells at Camp one, and crossed-up and howling from Kanaha to the Harbor.

I got off to a bad start by falling early, and thoroughly proved my theory that a lot of this stuff is in your head. I fell a million times. Most of them were those stupid falls where you say "why did I do that" and "cut that out". But I kept doing it. I was being too conservative and not charging the waves, and that just sucks. I was at least 1:50 to the sand, which just sucks out loud. A floating coconut could do it in that time.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: December 18, 2014, 10:36:39 PM »
Really glad I got to go today. Started catching stuff as soon as I faded left at the top, even with the lighter wind. There wasn't much groundswell but that east wind swell was huge. The further I got, the windier it was. Swells were great, especially going right. And going right worked out because there was a bit of north that took you to the inside. It also seemed to smooth out the bumpiness. Getting past camp one was a relief and from lower Kanaha on, it was near continuous surfing, right to the harbor.

It was definitely turbulent and challenging but i only had two falls. That's surprisingly good for me considering the conditions.  Finished with one of my better times feeling very stoked to have had a good Maliko. It was tough and technical, a classic Winter run. I sure love the south side downwinders but there is nothing like a good solid Maliko to get your adrenaline running full blast.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2014, 11:15:27 PM by covesurfer »

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: December 18, 2014, 11:08:52 PM »
Took my OC-1 the last couple days.  During the winter it tough to get a run that is smokin' all the way through, and the boat gets through the tough sections with much less effort.  Plus, I am saying that I am going to do Maui to Molokai on my OC-1, in April, so I better start training on it. 

Maliko is so tough.  Pono, I feel you.  I have had so many times out there when it just doesn't click.  It is so technical that any one thing that is not quite right can really throw the run off.  Plus, doing a lot of Kihei runs always messes me up for Maliko.  The water outside baldwin felt really sticky to me, and then it got really mixed up.  Once at Kanaha though it really opened up for me.  I just worked on steering and then it was a sleigh ride into the harbor.  Some of the drops going into the harbor were huge!  The boat really jumps waves at a completely different level.  I have a tough time quartering in it, but hopefully with time I'll get there. 

Looks like we are gonna get some big surf this weekend, and the wind looks light on Sunday!  See you guys out there...

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: December 18, 2014, 11:19:18 PM »
SB, when you went by me, I think around Upper Kanaha, that was a tough section. As I told you after the run, watching you move the boat through that kapakahi water was interesting. You looked like you were sliding sideways at times, while the boat was pointed out to the right.

I was on the lookout for swells coming in unexpectedly from the north but we were out plenty far and the groundswell wasn't much. But, man o' man, that big east windswell was incredible. I was thinking of you approaching the harbor and how fast you must have been going. The angle from outside heading in towards the entrance was absolutely perfect for catching big drops. What a blast!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: December 18, 2014, 11:29:12 PM »
Bottom line though is just simply that the southside is not Maliko. All the southside runs in the world won't prep you for a real Maliko run.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1297 on: December 19, 2014, 12:46:47 AM »
Felt like my head wasn't screwed on right today.  Got tentative and didn't attack enough so was subject to being tossed around.  Heavy winter glare going left.  Glorious sections but couldn't maintain mojo. 

Ears have been ringing louder than normal recently.  Even heard them out in the water with the wind howling.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: December 19, 2014, 07:04:20 AM »
we're coming apart like cheap suits.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1299 on: December 19, 2014, 08:18:30 AM »

/ All the southside runs in the world won't prep you for a real Maliko run.

Southbay and cove know what to do in their boats on the south shore to prep for maliko.  Get in a boat and I'll tell you too.  Boats are huge fun when the north shore is marginal on a standup. 
Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: December 19, 2014, 10:34:21 AM »
I'll need to work on my gut first, when I bend like that for more than ten minutes my abs and back scream. Reference to cheap suit comment above.

I'm going again today--even with that bigger north swell. Probably. Got to jump back on that horse.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 10:36:43 AM by PonoBill »

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: December 19, 2014, 11:50:29 AM »
I have to work today, but the wind looks good again.  The 51000 buoy is showing 11ft 14 seconds, so make sure to keep one eye on your right!  Have fun, wish I could go today.  Sunday looks like good surf and no wind! 

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: December 19, 2014, 12:47:33 PM »
The north side is lit up. The swell is definitely here. If you combine this new groundswell with that easterly windswell from yesterday, well, let's just say I get the heebie jeebies.

Wind has lightened up from earlier. That's consistent with the forecast. Doesn't look to be as good as yesterday. I'm out today and it sounds like HM's board is in at DK for a repair. If anybody else goes, hope you post a report.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: December 19, 2014, 02:02:01 PM »
Yeah, I'm not going. Boyum pretty much told me I was nuts. It's hitting 13 feet, so probably 25-30 foot swells coming across Camp One. I'll pick another day to get my groove back.

Eddie would go. But I'm certainly not Eddie.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1304 on: February 21, 2015, 09:44:38 AM »
It's not spring yet but just around the corner.  We're chomping at the bit.  A pic from the past to get us through until we're back in the saddle again.

Little glides that morph into bigger glides, it's the game of life out there in the wild blue. Alone with your own focus or lack of, you make your way. After a lifetime of prone surfing, I've grown to prefer this serenity of the open water. Every moment is a decision that results in where and when. 

Pic from the great Jeremy Riggs who can turn around backwards and shoot a picture. 
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 09:46:41 AM by headmount »

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal