Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403305 times)

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #1170 on: August 24, 2014, 12:37:02 PM »
It is and he is.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1171 on: August 24, 2014, 03:47:30 PM »
As is she.

And y'all.

But not I. 
Support your local shaper

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1172 on: August 25, 2014, 12:48:28 PM »
Thanks for the kind words guys...now if I could only beat Cove!  grrr.... ;)  Kihei was so much fun on Friday.  I was literally laughing out loud to myself and how much fun I was having.  I was able to make a hard left and drag my paddle along the wave face, and then tun right and drop in again, hard left again and surf....over and over again.  This new Ultra Light SIC Bullet 17 is really really surfy.  The super light swing weight really allows you to be able to turn the board from the tail.

Maliko yesterday looked like a tough day.  The wind was pretty North and a couple ski guys had just done a run and said the current was running really hard in the wrong direction.  I had not gone the day before, and Kathy and Ralf were game, so I was in despite the conditions being not quite ideal.  Turned out to be alot of fun!  It was a little convoluted till sprecks, but then in lined up really well all the way through lowers.  There were a couple east swell bombs that were stacking and make for some really good drops, and runs, but because of the speed they carried, you really had to work hard for each one.  Things got interesting at Pier 1.  The swell was nice sized and there was plenty of bumps, but the current was really running hard in the opposite direction.  There were parts that felt like the Gorge to me (note: I've only been there once) it had the sensation of catching bumps, but not really moving all that fast.  At pier 1 looked down at my watch and thought I may have a really good time.  I was at 55 minutes, and figured I could get there in 10 minutes, putting me at a 1:05 and my best time ever......well, it took me 17 minutes, so I posted a 1:12.  Not bad, especially considering the wind was not all that strong, but pretty amazing what that current can do!

Resting today and hoping for a Southside tomorrow!

Southbay

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1173 on: August 25, 2014, 12:52:30 PM »
Nice SB! I'm back tomorrow but don't get in until almost 3. Back on it Wednesday, you're gonna put it to me with that new bullet! Woot!

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1174 on: August 25, 2014, 12:54:44 PM »
That's what you always say!

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1175 on: September 15, 2014, 02:10:34 AM »
LPB, I'm in need of a good surf ski report and one of your great vids. Can't remember a time in recent history that this thread was off of Page 1. But today I find it at the bottom of a Page 2. Yikes?

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1176 on: September 15, 2014, 02:36:38 AM »
Perhaps LPB will accommodate you but we have been in a period of greatly diminished trades for a couple of weeks now. Consistent fun sized swells have fortunately been rolling in so all is not lost. But, Maliko has been very north northeast when there has been wind and generally, the winds on the north shore have been under 20 knots most days for at least the last 10 days or so.  I know LBP has gotten some good late afternoon south side runs lately so perhaps he'll come up with something.

The NNE wind direction has been kind of persistent and the man-of-wars have been blowing into the north shore of Maui.

Southbay and I did a light-wind Maliko a couple of days ago and frankly, even though it was pretty weak - maybe 15 knots with small but fun bumps - we were happy to get anything. But, when SB sat down on his board outside of Maliko, maybe out 1/2 a mile, he was immediately hit by a man o war on his leg. SB being Southbay, it just fired his adrenaline and he proceeded to hammer out the top 3/4 of the run, finally slowing down just a little near the end, enough to at least let me catch up to him.

The man o war over here are fairly small, only a few inches in circumference. That makes them hard to see as they look like a little bubble on the water. But their stings are just like the big blue fatties that they have off of Florida. Somehow, I got lucky and managed to avoid getting stung.

It's been fun with all the surf that's been rolling in and there haven't been any jellies over on the south and west sides, where we've been getting nice swell. But I'm really ready for some nice, brisk trades to take away the humidity (so I can sleep instead of lurking on the zone at 1130 at night) and bring back our downwinding!

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1177 on: September 15, 2014, 06:57:06 PM »
Thanks for the status update. Kind olf crazy that the jellyfish have been pretty thick around here as of late also. You have to wonder if the warmer ocean temps have anything to do with that. Here's hoping that you guys get your trades back soon. 

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #1178 on: September 15, 2014, 06:58:40 PM »
Kihei looks pretty good right now, although not real strong. I'm betting LP is out right now....I need to get a boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1179 on: September 15, 2014, 10:32:00 PM »
Yeah, when my daughter leaves for school on Wednesday, I'm going to start taking the canoe out again. Unless it cranks and we can do standup downwind again!

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1180 on: September 16, 2014, 08:51:32 AM »
I'm jonesing for my Scorpius right now. It's pretty flat in the Gorge--though we might have something today. So flat that Rod called me yesterday about going out and chasing the sternwheeler on surfboards. I've done it, it's fun, but when it gets away, there you are, however far from the car you happened to end up, on a surfboard. 40 minutes behind the sternwheeler = ten or so miles. Worth it while you're doing it.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1181 on: September 16, 2014, 06:30:59 PM »
Pono, we will all have to go out in the boats when you get back.  Greg has a boat, I just bought one today, I hear Jeremy has a ski, Kathy has a ski, Larry of course.  Should be a fun alternative. 

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1182 on: September 16, 2014, 09:13:32 PM »
You'll notice my name wasn't mentioned.  The last holdout.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1183 on: September 16, 2014, 09:15:58 PM »
I didn't want to freak you out, but you're gonna have to get one now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1184 on: September 16, 2014, 10:08:42 PM »
Headmount has room! SB, that thing looks fast!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal