Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403284 times)

peterp

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #1125 on: July 15, 2014, 01:04:22 PM »
M4M sounds awesome - last year the wind was probably 15-20 at best and most stayed on the inside line as there wasn't much gained by the longer outside line - I think they started us at 10am last year, glad they waited till the wind filled in this year for you guys - last year we sat at the hotel in the afternoon and the wind just got stronger and stronger!
It has to rate as one of the best runs in the world - it's pure downwind with big bumps outside and super safe beginner friendly on the inside!

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: July 15, 2014, 01:43:17 PM »
They held off our start based on tide more than wind. They were waiting for the highest water but, as you said, afternoon is also when the wind cranks!

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1127 on: July 20, 2014, 08:38:53 PM »
Very fun south shore yesterday.  Low effort, nice relaxing run with some speedy glides.

Oscar had an idea for downwinding that I've been experimenting with on the south shore.  Very basic idea - He said that surfers generally start a takeoff on the peak and surf down the line towards a shoulder.   But skis start at the shoulder and aim toward the steeper section of the swell.

It's fun to aim the boat into steep sections as they keep building.  If the boat feels as though it may broach, I steer it down the face.

But the real payoff is shooting across the face of the wave.  It's fast and fun.  And if the wave is too quick for me,  the ridge passes harmlessly below, leaving me with good speed on the back of the wave.  That speed makes it effortless to steer the boat on that next face, right down  the line.  Fast swells, zero effort to get on them.

So the bottom line for me is, get the boat going somehow and look for some waves forming.  It's very basic stuff, nothing revolutionary and it's been said a million times before.  But it clicked a bit differently for me recently and I've been having a blast.  Skis will go across some crazy angles if you trust them. 

I need one of those drones to show what I'm steering toward on the videos.  The gopro doesn't have the field of view.  Without the speedo on my vids they wouldn't make much sense to me.  But the numbers tell the tale.   

http://youtu.be/l88qewAN2Eg

Support your local shaper

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1128 on: July 21, 2014, 06:51:41 PM »
Cannot wait until I have enough _ease in the seat_ to move around in the chop seeking my own line. Thanks again for,a,fun video.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: August 01, 2014, 02:03:26 PM »
Check the wind for tomorrow at noon!  Maliko should be smokin'  ;D

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: August 01, 2014, 02:18:52 PM »
Check the wind for tomorrow at noon!  Maliko should be smokin'  ;D

Yeah, I'm in!! Keep in touch, probably can't make today work but that's probably ok looking at tomorrow's forecast!

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: August 01, 2014, 02:19:21 PM »
Done. Me too!

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1132 on: August 03, 2014, 02:14:21 AM »
Fun run today.  Swells were lined up and had good size. 

http://youtu.be/HAedx-5QKIM

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: August 03, 2014, 10:26:39 AM »
Yeah, it was pretty amazing out there, cool vid! Today looks even better.

Southbay

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: August 03, 2014, 12:12:39 PM »
Yesterday was the best Maliko run I have done this summer. So many big glides.

It must be the wide angle of the Go Pro that makes it look like I'm standing still!  Haha! LP was flying out there. Really great day. Hoping we get HM out there today!  See you guys soon.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1135 on: August 03, 2014, 12:56:56 PM »
^I worked hard to get up to your group.  When it's good like that, standups are at much less of a disadvantage (to skis) than usual.  You guys were flying. 

I was hoping to get behind each of you for a near pass, but you were all too fast.  I tried first with Cove, he was right behind you.  I zigged and zagged but kept missing his swell and swinging too far left or right.  So I bagged that idea and set my own course. 

You may look slow in the vid, but that's only because I had a head of steam up and you didn't.  Video is terrible that way, not representative at all to what's really happening with the swells.  I had some smoking fast drops and Cove was keeping pace right along just out of the frame.  I came across Devin up the road and she was motoring, barely paddling.  I passed her once, then looked over minutes later and she was ahead of me.  She usually beats me by a mile in the winter when it's scary big.  The wind dropped a bit at the end so I had the big advantage in the ski and gained a few minutes on the standups.  Fun day. 

Maybe I'll get some close passes today.  Don't be concerned If I sneak up close! Don't change course on my account or I'll feel terrible!  I can drag a leg or jump out if a collision is likely.  Close is best on video.  Inches apart is fine!  Hold my beer and watch this!       

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: August 03, 2014, 01:05:23 PM »
LPB, when you went by me, we were both just flying! And, being a rank novice boater, it is definitely easier for me to have a smokin' good time on my standup vs a boat on days like yesterday.

Today, it's been windy up at our place since I woke up, early this morning. Southbay and I are both on at 1pm and I'm going to try and rig up my gopro on the tail of the board, a bit of a risky proposition since the leash could dislodge it in a bad get-off, and I had a few of those yesterday. Going to concentrate extra hard on staying upright the whole run today!

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1137 on: August 04, 2014, 01:29:26 AM »
More excellent conditions today.  I didn't have the snap necessary to get close to anyone for video.  So I set my own lines, tried to relax and stay smooth. 

Moving where the big swells prefer is a good idea for me when it gets bigger.  If I try to tell the ocean where I'm going things usually fall apart. 

http://youtu.be/e22RL7sn2RM 

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #1138 on: August 05, 2014, 12:32:56 AM »
Went today with three kids in their early 20s.  Pretty good paddlers so I was able to open it up, not full bore but no paddle dragging.  I let one of them try my 17 and I was back on an old 14 rudderless of mine.  That heavy 28" wide board felt great in the strong conditions.  Caught glides just holding blade against the wind and once I was rolling, it kept rolling so easy.  Hero conditions, the kind we all dream about. 

We got a storm entering Hawaiian waters tomorrow and could impact our area thurs night into friday.  Costco was mayhem today. 

But no hurricane has ever hit BI or Maui.  Too much cold air trapped on high altitude mountains.  If it's deflected south then it could have a possibility of hooking into Oahu and or Kauai.  Also with recent high wind event, upwelling cools the water surface, which sucks the juice out of a tropical storm.  But we have our batteries, lanterns and spare water.  Doesn't take much storm for MECO to shut off the electricity.

But i'm wondering about how open ocean conditions will develop starting wednesday with massive east swell. 

covesurfer

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: August 05, 2014, 12:40:09 AM »
Saw you at maliko, pulling out in your truck, just as we got there in the shuttle. One more great day in store tomorrow before the east swell kicks into the BIG setting. I had an epic fast run, all the way to kanaha, then I fell four times before I got to the harbor. Still, it was one of the fastest runs I've had, 1:08 and change from left turn to entrance.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal