Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403292 times)

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #360 on: February 24, 2012, 06:03:12 PM »
Absolutely.  What about the story of Oscar swimming in after losing his boat - apparently didn't end up on land until after nightfall.  Pretty scary stuff.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #361 on: February 28, 2012, 12:51:57 AM »
Hey L, did a 15 mile solo ski the other day, had a friend drop me off for a downwinder. Really gave me a chance to take my time and start to get my head around steering the boat by leaning rather than trying to stop it broaching on the wave using the rudder and bracing. Suddenly all became so much smoother, faster and way less effort, started so get some insight into just how fast these things really are.

This is going to become very addictive!!

That's a great threshold on the ski.  It happened for me on 2-19. 

I'm just scratching the surface too.  It keeps getting better...

Nice E swell today.  Should be ripping wind for a few more days.  Delays at work came at the perfect time. 

Downwinding addictive?  Not me, I can quit anytime...  :)

maliko 2-27-12
Support your local shaper

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: February 28, 2012, 04:49:25 PM »
LPB, just wait until you get on the regular V10; you will look like Smiling Bob on the Enzyte commercials...

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #363 on: March 01, 2012, 05:19:30 AM »
I'll track down a coach one of these days.  I'm sure they will tell me the V10 is too much boat for me.  My rotation still needs to improve (obviously an understatement).  An elite ski paddler told me yesterday that he watched one of my vids.  he said the quality of the picture was great, but that I stink.  :)

He said to try shortening the paddle and adding more feather.  That should force me to rotate more.  I tried it today in the harbor after the run.  It felt ok, but I'm worried about tweaking something.  So I'll be cautious about changing the paddle on a windy maliko.  A real coaching session is obviously the ticket.     

My butt still gets sore occasionally.  I'd like to do longer paddles, (over 1.5 hours) so I need padding or, more likely, better rotation.  Didn't fall today, but missed a lot of glides. 

Still need vast improvement on swell choice.  Elite canoes drop me quickly. 

Having a great time - a dozen windy malikos in the past fortnight.  And the wind keeps cranking...

maliko 2-29-12       

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 01, 2012, 10:31:51 AM »
LPB, I think you should be commended in taking a ski out in heavy conditions.  IMO if you can handle a Maliko on the V10S you could handle a south shore run right now on the V10.  Another 25 Maliko runs on the V10S I think you probably have sufficient balance to go to the V10 for all purposes.

Technique is another matter, I'm no master there.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #365 on: March 01, 2012, 10:43:46 AM »
Downwinding addictive?  Not me, I can quit anytime... 

Too funny.  Classic... took the words right out of my mouth.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 01, 2012, 12:09:59 PM »
As I posted elsewhere, makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #367 on: March 02, 2012, 01:46:29 AM »

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #368 on: March 02, 2012, 09:39:26 AM »
First day of march and it was finally sunny.  Man what a difference with 1080p.  Crystal.  You notice that high frequency shudder sometimes?  I get that on my board sometimes when it begins to take off and it really distorts the video.  I have this stuff called vibrothane  as a bushing between the mount and camera and it's great stuff but not enough for that.  I think that as you get out towards the ends of the board (or canoe) that vibration can be accentuated.  It doesn't happen enough to really go after the problem for our purposes but I'm always obsessed.  In the middle of the board would be in the way so no answer there.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #369 on: March 02, 2012, 05:00:20 PM »
1Paddle... don't let LaPer entice you over to the dark side with all the speed that a ski has.  Come back, come back... LaPer actually has switched in the past but he's getting so good with that thing, we'll probably lose him... at least he's got that orange hat

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #370 on: March 02, 2012, 05:37:29 PM »
I'm not quitting standup, or oc-1.  It's just a great excuse to be weak in all 3 sports. :)

1P2P has been on ski for years.  He started on an intermediate ski like mine, then moved to an elite ski - a V10.  His ski is much faster - tippier than mine.  Mine is a V10 sport, huge difference.  

1P2P thinks I may be ready for a V10 soon, but he's just being polite.  I want to stay on the V10-S for a long time - trying to get a better stroke.  Slower, wider, more stable boats like mine are best for learning.  Balance isn't the first thing on ski, it's the only thing.  Rotation is king on a ski, but it takes balance.  

I'm to lazy to do flat water, too cheap to pay a coach, so my rotation is lame.  The elite paddlers on Maui tell me I stink, which is true.  If they get polite and tell me I'm doing great, I'll be embarrassed.  I've done the research,  I know the score.  (No offence 1P2P, forum compliments are welcome, face time is different). 

A few months ago I made the mistake of telling someone I'd like to move up to a V10.  2 coaches happened to overhear it.  They were pushing each other aside to try and punch me.  'you punk, you stink' etc.  This is a good thing.  Kayak racing has a huge tradition and history.  Like fast cyclists, the fast kayakers have done a lot of homework.        

On to shaky cameras:

Yes, the vibration is very noticeable.  The pixelation in my point/shoot is probably due to the small shutter, with a little help from the shake.  It seems more common as I drop into stuff.  

The sun was good on the first half of the run, then went behind the clouds.  This vid is on the same day, second half.  It's easy to see how my camera suffers in lower light.  

Philly and Big were on the shuttle.  Those guys are masters at reading maliko.  Chris Dunn and Frank Zajac are also very experienced on outriggers.  I launched and turned downwind before they did.  They came by about 30 minutes later - just after I reset the camera - perfect timing.  Philly and Big were regrouping and talking, so I got a few shots of them.  Fun run.  

maliko 3-1-12 second half    
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 05:44:41 PM by LaPerouseBay »

pdxmike

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 02, 2012, 06:05:03 PM »
LaPerouseBay--out of curiosity, don't the conditions make a huge difference with different surfski models?  If you were on flatwater, would you be fine in a V10? 

surf monkey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 02, 2012, 06:24:16 PM »
leperousebay

Your sitting upright that's the hardest part,looks like your having fun and the rest will follow, But yea the stroke needs work.

Haven't paddled skis in a while but have a bunch of friends that still do. Seems like you are just using your arms when paddling. Need to lock out your arms a little and get you body to rotate.

Just looked up K1 paddling lots of paddling video

Learn the right paddle stroke.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #373 on: March 02, 2012, 09:15:52 PM »
LaPerouseBay--out of curiosity, don't the conditions make a huge difference with different surfski models?
I'm not quite sure what you are asking.     

If you were on flatwater, would you be fine in a V10? 
The experts say I'd be smart to train flat water on a V-8. 

Also, that I'd be faster in a V-8 than my V-10S - flatwater or downwind.

I believe them.  They've been through the mill.   

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #374 on: March 03, 2012, 01:01:53 PM »
It's amazing how fast those K1's are on flat water.   The world record for the kilometer is 3.22.  That's a little over 11mph.

WR in K4 at 500 meters is over 14mph. 

How fun would it be to have one of these gals for a wife.  I'll bet they could throw a toaster a hundred yards.  :)

Canoe Sprint World Ch 2011: Women's K-4 500 m, Final

Zsolt came over from Oahu to give us a clinic.  He was on the Hungarian national sprint team for 13 years.  He missed the olympics in 2000 by a whisker.  His team (K2 500m) took second at nationals.  The winners qualified for the Sydney games, eventually winning gold.  He's on ski now.

Paddling With Zsolt

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal