Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 403371 times)

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2011, 10:27:19 PM »
Wind was a steady 20 gusting to ~25 on today's run.  Very good conditions to sneak  inside and zip through the windsurfers.  Experimented a bit between hookipa and kanaha, but it didn't work.  My cohort took the usual rights outside and left me for dead.  He was still in sight above kanaha, so I tempted fate and ran well inside of him.  I was making great time on the bigger swells inside - steadily gaining ground. 

Then a big foam ball reared up behind me and started running me down.  I had good speed, but didn't try to stay on my line to outrun it.  Too many stories of ama down pile ups still fresh from the Keanae race.  So, without even turning back to have a look I hooked a left and rode in, and in, and in.  Emmer effin foam ball just wouldn't quit.  Headed back out as soon as possible, but the good stuff was out a bit.

Oh well, I'm glad I tried.  Saw Jeremy after the run, he said not looking back is usually best.  Sometimes it leads to 'deer in the headlights', hesitation and... you know the rest.  I know this is where the fast guys make time.  I'll go in more eventually.  I was worried about losing a rudder in a few spots. 

Sneaking across the reef to the entrance was interesting.  More foamy soft toppers rolling through.  Got lucky and zigged through them.  Fun day.

Support your local shaper

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2011, 02:05:17 AM »
I'm on the bench for a couple of days, trying to get my banged up shin to heal. The doc gave me some antibiotics, but it increases sun sensitivity. Still, if we get a good day I'll just armor up--waterproof bandage, tights, long sleeve rashy and my ultra-gay super-duper sun hat. If nothing else it well be a rare sight for everyone in the harbor.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2011, 10:47:17 PM »
 The wind returned today so it was a go for a maliko. Had the wife drop me off at about 1:30 at the gulch. Recognized pono bills' funmobile parked and thought I would finally meet him. However he was gone already. The wind was blowing pretty good as I exited the gulch. Paddled out quite a ways as usual and made my turn and bam, I was gone. Most runs I've had are a mixture of good glides, small runners, and  areas where you can't buy a ride. Today was exceptional for me as I was gliding for what seemed the whole way. Big rollers at kanaha which I stayed clear of. What a blast! Maybe I'm just getting better or maybe I just got lucky. Being fairly new to downwind sup I can't say. Either way, I was moving. Managed to cut 10mins. off my previous time of 1hr 40mins. from boat ramp to beach.  Probably not fast by most guys standards, but I was happy with it. Had to really push hard to get to the beach once inside the harbor. What a grind that was! Until next weekend...

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2011, 11:06:16 PM »
Yeah, we did an early run, in the water about 10:30 with a set of newbies. Fun run but a lot of waiting around. Came in at Kanaha. then Bill Boyum, Robert and I did a second run to the harbor--about 1:30 to the sand. As 808 said, the paddle across the harbor was tough. Sure do like that Bullet. First third was rocket fast, second third was big and challenging, two miles out it all went confused and hard, then cleaned up for the last mile. Caught some huge long runners just before the breakwall. Good day. pooped.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2011, 11:18:22 PM »
808... 1:40 was a good time today with the nightmare inside the harbor.  We launched for a second at 2:30.  When I was inside the harbor, I saw a smooth stretch of water behind the ship and figured I'd go for the straight line to the end and avoid the pilau diesel smell from the ship.   Got right in the middle and just got smoked by a blast right in my face.  Stopped me dead and I went into the execution mode... on my knees.  Hate to admit it but I caved in.  It was my second run and I was a tad tapped but PBill came in behind me and never went to his knees so I got no excuses.  Still I posted a 1:33 according to my wife... who knows how she decided.  PBill was fast too and not too far behind me.  I thought there were some crossed up sections and the current was sticky in parts but there were also some great sections from Kuau to Uppers where I started to run into some tricky water.  Lots of people on Sundays so it was cool to be out with everyone feeling the force.  PBill gave me a new leash which I put on right away and you know what Bill, I had one fall at the bottom of a double decker and the cord stretched full out.  If that old cord had snapped and I had your new one in my truck, I would've never forgiven myself.  Thanks so much.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2011, 12:57:44 AM »
It was just self preservation--your old leash made me so nervous I couldn't stop thinking about it. I wouldn't have used that thing on a boogie board.

The Bullet works really well in the fast stuff. I'm still getting my sea legs on it, so the crossed up stuff is hard to navigate. I fell a lot on that second run. But man you were flying in that big stuff off Camp One. I was going as hard as I could and catching long rides, one after the other, and you still pulled away.

Sure was nutty in spots, waves banging into each other like seawall backwash--but in the middle of the ocean. And spindrift everywhere. Not to mention that whale that kept doing wild double jumps off my port bow. I was pleading with him to keep his distance. That could have been a really fast run if I wasn't falling so much. I bet I went in ten times.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2011, 11:39:42 PM »
Blistering east today.  Morning run was a black squall and very crossed up.  Afternoon was blue skies and more organized.  Raced in the afternoon with someone slightly better than me and really learned alot.  Kept close with a back and forth for the first 4 miles until I fell and couldn't make up the 50 yds difference which stayed the same until the end.  That's what a fall equaled today... 50 yds.  Huge glides.  The run was a short course to Kanaha and had to come over Camp One reef with almost no water. 

I freaked thinking.. well here goes my rudder.  Caught a wave and tried something pretty slick, which worked.  Right when I saw the super shallow I dropped down on my stomach up towards the nose real quick.  These Chinese 16s have a huge nose kick and doing what I did lifted the rudder clean out of the water, which was cool but now I had no rudder so I dropped my foot over the side to act as a rudder which also worked except I took a gouge out of the top of my foot on the reef.  But not only would I have gouged the rudder, I would've bent the post pretty bad so taking a wound seemed to make me feel like I came out good.  Buzz gouged his rudder terrible.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2011, 11:48:05 PM »
I have one word: Harbor   Well, okay, five: You guys is nutz.

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2011, 10:23:25 PM »
PBill's last Maliko paddle until he returns from America and it was a beaut.  30-40 and HUGE rolls outside, simply amazing stuff. Plus we pioneered a new finish point that is so much more civilized and we won't get gunned down by homeland security at the docks.   A great note for him to end this year's adventure.  It's been fun PB and maybe next year you'll remember to bring  dry clothes to change into when we do the truck drop!   Shirley says bye and wished she had known it was adios for a few months.  Thanks for all the enthusiasm and great vibes.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 13, 2011, 01:06:31 AM »
Don't worry about the homeland security guys, they're like Barney Fife--one bullet and they carry it in a shirt pocket. Great fun this year buddy, all the best to you and Shirley. see you next year for more whacky adventures.

Microbrewer

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 13, 2011, 05:00:31 PM »
I met headmount (Bill) for a guided run down the Maliko on Tuesday the 11th.  It was my first real downwind and the winds were whipping, crashing, and blowing like we were on a moon off of Jupiter.  ( thats what it felt like to me but Bill I think was pretty bored).   I got my ass handed to me most of the trip  but I did manage to get a few lengthy runs in where I felt like I was starting to 'get it' .   I have done most of my paddling here in Washington state on flat water and wind chopped stuff but that did not prepare me for the Maliko run.   It was a hoot though and I am glad I did it.  Thanks Bill!!You are the man.  That place is the real deal.  I was spat from my board every which way but loose and I must admit that I feel like I was taken out behind the shed and beaten with a stick :P.   We had a time on my GPS of 1:45 from dock to beach 7.68 miles.    I have my work cut out for me but certainly  inspiring.   ;D

Kissa

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 13, 2011, 05:11:35 PM »
Here is a board choice question for you Maliko regulars. I am coming over in July when, hopefully, the wind will be consitently insane ;D. Should I get an F16 or a Bullet17? I have tried both here in Australia and my preference would be for an F16 in big windy conditions - it just feels more stable and comfortable but would be interested in your opinions - Thanks Dave

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: April 13, 2011, 07:22:15 PM »
Kissa.. I think you pretty much have it figured out.  When it's windy (over 25) go 16.  I've only been on a Bullet a few times in strong conditions and it's something to get used to.  The 16 you can look around and count turtles or flying fish, no matter what the conditions are.

Micro... a pleasure to meet you and like you said... "I was spat from my board every which way but loose and I must admit that I feel like I was taken out behind the shed and beaten with a stick."  That's the truth but I'll tell you what....  You're a tough guy.  I've never seen a guy go down so many times and get back up on his feet.  I'm worn out if I fall a few times.  Getting back up on your feet with a roll like that is no easy deal and I try to avoid it at all costs.  And also know this... almost everyone who has done that run the first time has had a rough time of it unless they have time in the saddle from somewhere else with somewhat comparable conditions.  I was 54 when I first did it, decades of surfing behind me, and it wasn't pretty.  Plus the day you went was class 1 conditions, 30-40 with solid 8-12 foot crest to troughs, not some billiard table of little grooves to pleasantly push you along.  There are many conditions you can encounter on that run and you were in the ring with Apollo Creed on that day.  Keep practicing and maybe try one of those balance boards some of the guys talk about in this forum.  I'm scared of hurting myself on them and just stand on one leg for a few minutes when I do yoga... which seems safer for a geezer like me.  Core workouts too.  You're plenty strong enough upstairs but paddling's all in the gut.  Enjoy that clinic and think about your run and how you can apply the power.  Going fast is easier than going slow in big seas but you gotta learn how to drop that back foot into the surf stance ... quick.  Dropping in is a heavy deal and you got to aggressively want it.  Watch Million Dollar Baby and see how the gal learns to move her feet.  Have a friend push you hard in the chest and learn how to step back ...softly.  Mark the floor so you can see where your feet land and what your tendencies are so you can make the adjustments.  Then return here and knock Apollo Creed to the canvas.  Oh yeah... 6 years into this and I'm never bored out there.  Every time I'm out, I'm picking up info ... even when I've got my blade in the water, trying to stop.  I don't have enough years left to digest everything I want to pick up from the ocean.

808sup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 13, 2011, 09:08:20 PM »
Headmount: That new finish point? I sometimes choose to avoid the nasty side or even head winds in the harbor by paddling straight in to the boat ramp. It's so easy a caveman can do it!However, lately I have been forcing myself to  the canoe hale as that's where races typically end. Pono: Enjoy your time away from maui. Maliko will be here when you return. Aloha

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 13, 2011, 09:32:59 PM »
I second Bill's comments 'brewer. It's not easy no matter who you are. I've done a few runs with newbies when they had groomed ripples and no drama all the way. They fell like they've been sold a bill of goods about how demanding it can be. Then they come back the next day and get their asses handed to them. Lately it's been mostly that. I did my first run probably 70 percent on my knees, which was a good place since I was also praying.

Never boring.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal