Author Topic: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report  (Read 404612 times)

SoCalSupper

• Cortez Bank Status
  • support the HPWA!
    • View Profile
    • HPWA
Re: The smokin spring and summer Maliko report
« Reply #345 on: February 19, 2012, 06:54:11 AM »

still trolling this thread...have no idea what you guys are talking about wind wise.

Yellow x is kanaha, red is landfill, blue is north Kihei.  Arrows are NE trades on the north shore, Kona winds on the south.  

Just to clarify, the landfill is surrounded by miles of canefields.  The odor never reaches Kihei.  If the breeze is near calm, the odor may drift to the north shore.  My guess is that if it's 'blowing konas'  the landfill odor is so dilute as to be unnoticeable.  When the trades are blowing, the odor is gone long before it reaches the south shore.         

thanks LaP and PB-good explanation!
United States Air Force Para-Rescue motto "That others may live"

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #346 on: February 19, 2012, 10:59:46 AM »
Hi JC, glad to hear you are enjoying the v10S.  

I'm feeling more relaxed on the ski, it's probably from time on the water.  Still in the ski exclusively, I'm really hooked.  

Not falling on the maliko runs.  A few close calls, but emergency bracing gets instinctive.  I'm a bit concerned about dislocating a shoulder in an emergency brace.  It was pretty crazy out there.  Early on, my focus was wandering a bit.  I was having trouble maintaining hull speed.  The seas were knocking my tail around, requiring some hard digs to brace.  That would only stop me, and make things worse.  The bucket swamped up to my armpits a few times.  I didn't go over, but on hindsight it may have been the better move.  The instinct to brace no matter what is strong.  But in strong seas, you get bashed around in crazy ways.  If a the hands are too far behind the shoulders, a dislocation or tear is a real concern.  It's all part of experience and important to recognise that hull speed is paramount when downwinding.  The rough patches can be debilitating for us old guys.  

It was a bit frustrating for a minute.  I was contemplating escape alternatives if the seas got any worse.  Swimming in was on my mind.  Thankfully, the seas relaxed a bit and I was able to get going.  The reefs came up later, the camera went on and it was good fun.

As for remounting, it too gets easier and easier.  I'm comfortable unhooking, jumping out and resetting the camera.  Obviously, it's important to settle a bit and see what's around, but the side entry is easy now.  Try to time it so the swell helps unweight you as you go up, (I'm sure you already do).

Paddling into shorebreak with 25 knot winds is made infinitely easier with a self centering rudder.  You can leave your legs out, (but up and out of the water).  This makes the boat extremely stable.  A few strokes will shoot you straight through, with no worries of going off course.

I recently added a snap shackle to my leg leash.  Unhooking under load is easy.  Have yet to need it, but my day will come.  This one is really nice.  It's forged, with a welded ring.  $50 is a lot for a  tiny part, but it's a leash.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=17733&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=50045&subdeptNum=50046&classNum=50047    
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 11:13:27 AM by LaPerouseBay »
Support your local shaper

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: February 19, 2012, 10:45:18 PM »
 I was having trouble maintaining hull speed.  The seas were knocking my tail around, requiring some hard digs to brace.  That would only stop me, and make things worse.  The bucket swamped up to my armpits a few times.     
Man reading this is bringing back my learning experience on the Mako XT.  Reminding me of the challenges I faced.  I found that as I got more comfortable in the bumps that I could start to anticipate issues and take steps to avoid them.  One of which (as I previously mentioned) was leaning the boat hard over to prevent a tail spin.  Another trick was to roll the boat away from a large wave coming at me from the rear quarter, which would often fill the bucket with 8 gallons (or whatever it was) and kill all momentum.  I found that I could roll the boat AWAY from the wave coming from 8 o'clock briefly and prevent the instant bathtub in my boat scenario.

As my body got more comfortable with the rolling around it didn't feel as much like punishment, less panic braces, etc., and just part of the experience.  I wonder if the higher speed of the V10 eliminates some of the issues - it seemed to rarely ever do the tail spin thing, and much less of the bathtub thing as well. It also has the ability to go get a bump one bump ahead of you - almost impossible on SUP.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #348 on: February 20, 2012, 05:54:02 AM »
1P2P, the tail spin is becoming rare for me too.  My guess is that it's not the v-10, it's just that you never let the boat get so out of position anymore.  It's one of the many things we forget about as we move on.  That's why coaches are so valuable IMO, they see enough of it to quickly spot what is happening.  The rolling is another trick I'm gradually learning.   

Sunday's run was a real eye-opener for me.  Never before have I been so comfortable in bigger waves.  Ski's know more about waves than I do.  I just have to relax and let them go. 

Conditions were excellent Sunday.  Macking east wind, no NW swell.  On a maliko run, if the wind is east like today, it's important to stay 'inside' for the last section of the run.  It's tempting to go 'outside' to avoid any potential breaking waves, but the wind is gradually moving you away from the entrance to the harbor.  It's tough sledding if you miss the entrance.  It was so east today inside the entrance was rugged, particularly with the cruise ship in dock.  That floating hotel creates it's own weather system.     

I usually run outside, but not today.  Great rides from start to finish.  Only one fall, which was a minor inconvenience.  Somehow the paddle slipped from my left hand and I fell to the right.  It was at good speed, but my left foot stayed in the strap long enough to brake the boat - leash didn't stretch.  No spin outs, minimal swamping.  Super fun. 

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #349 on: February 21, 2012, 04:58:29 AM »
Very windy again Monday.  30 gusting to 40, nice big swells.  I was chasing Devin, Ralf and Lee.  It was quite challenging for me to keep them in the frame.  Conditions were similar to yesterday, if a bit wilder.  Steering and trying to keep them in the frame wore me out.  Once tired, I fell a few times.  Great training and practice remounting.  Very fun day.

ericspin

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #350 on: February 21, 2012, 11:30:18 AM »
I really love watching your ski video LPB. I have shared before that I am currently paddling a V8. Have been paddling it for two seasons now and am ready to move up.  Thinking about the V10S or maybe a Stellar SR. I have also shared that I am a FL guy and I think we have great conditions for the ski. Nothing like what you guys have in HI but an unending supply of cool places to paddle around the peninsula. Unfortunately I recently accepted a job that has taken me to TN and will probably last a year and half or longer.  Great opportunity but (not to be dramatic) I feel as though my soul is shrinking being away from the saltwater so much. I had no idea how strong my bond is to my home waters. The terrain in TN and the prospects of paddling rivers all year does not excite me. Was home over the weekend and got to paddle yesterday and my heart soared. Those of use that do this because we love it are very fortunate. I wonder if I will last through the life of the assignment in TN? I really miss home and the saltwater. So keep the vids coming. Maybe I should shoot some footage of my paddles so that I could watch them while I am landlocked. Thanks.....

headmount

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #351 on: February 21, 2012, 02:55:06 PM »
Best one yet and really loved the upside down underwater shot.  Very cool

JonathanC

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: February 21, 2012, 05:36:12 PM »
You are getting better every video L. Great to see the progress, you looked so calm and relaxed in the one the day before.

Paddle on ;D

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #353 on: February 22, 2012, 02:24:59 AM »
Glad you lilke the videos guys.  Yes JC, I was more relaxed when I could choose my own line.  Turning and bracing was scrubbing a lot of speed when I tried to keep others in the frame. 

I rigged up a simple head mount today. The angle was too low on tonight's run, I'll try again tomorrow. 

This next video was prompted by HM's comment about the underwater shot.  I re edited Monday's run to include remount ideas. 

remounting maliko 2-20-12

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: February 22, 2012, 12:11:29 PM »
Fantastic LPB.  Going over in the ski seems way more fatiguing that falling off the SUP.  Maybe because its so much trickier getting back onto it?

I remember times where my brain would recognize that I was going over, but due to fatigue somehow my arms didn't get the message to 'BRACE IMMEDIATELY' and I would go over, seemingly in slow motion, with no apparent ability to prevent it.  That was brain damaging.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #355 on: February 23, 2012, 02:32:43 PM »
IMO, the primary reason re entering is tough is the fatigue that causes the fall.  As the vid shows, with a little practice, getting in is not difficult.  Maybe it seems tougher than sup remounting because of the brain damage.  So close and yet so far...

For me, ski is the perfect tool to teach me to downwind better.  Only in ski is the penalty for sprinting when one should wait so severe.  The ability to accelerate is at your fingertips like none other, but if you miss the glide - it's over.

The new headmount adds the soundtrack of my breathing.  (I won't be including it in future vids).  Yesterday's run had me following some oc-1's.  When I relaxed and found long glides, I ran up on them.  If I sprinted to keep them near, I fatigued and struggled.  

Video is an amazing tool to reinforce proper strategy on the water.

Good for whale action too.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 02:37:53 PM by LaPerouseBay »

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: February 23, 2012, 03:27:31 PM »
Was your last post to have included a video, or the picture of the hat + camera set up?

I think you have a good point about it being the fatigue being the culprit - it causes the dunk in the first place, then you have to get back on (with the legs out as you showed), then get the boat going in the right direction, then pull the legs in, etc.  With the SUP if you are really tired you can lay down on the thing and take a rest if so desired.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #357 on: February 23, 2012, 04:03:24 PM »
No video, just the picture. 

+1 on the resting.  No rest for the wicked on ski.  Hanging on to the side is tough on the ego.

1paddle2paddle

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: February 23, 2012, 05:41:09 PM »
Yes, its a real problem sitting and not paddling on the ski in rough water.  Waiting for your buds to catch up is not fun and requires energy to keep upright.

Hanging onto the side in the water isn't a whole lot of fun and neither is laying across the sides of the bucket getting buffeted around.  The sides of the bucket are kind of pointy and it is not relaxing.

LaPerouseBay

• Teahupoo Status
  • downwind dilettante
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #359 on: February 24, 2012, 11:50:33 AM »
The guys in cold water get a ton of respect in my book.  They certainly have their act together.  Imagine the rolling eyes if they read our posts about hanging on to the side!

I've seen some of their vids on the big lakes and in the roaring 40's.  That's some intense massive wave action.  Mad skills on the boys in Lake Superior, Down under and South Africa.  

Paddling with great whites and orcas will never happen in my lifetime.  Far too chicken for that action.  Yikes.        

« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 11:53:38 AM by LaPerouseBay »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 07:18:48 AM