Author Topic: Shoulder friendly Paddles  (Read 5488 times)

Cam S

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Shoulder friendly Paddles
« on: March 13, 2011, 04:44:40 AM »
My shoulders have taken the brunt of a physical work life and shoulder pain raises its head from time to time. I have researched on the net and saved some great information on paddle techniques and ordered the Danny Ching DVD - Mastering Stand Up Paddle Technique. I believe there are several paddles out there which are considered more shoulder user friendly than others. Jimmy Lewis being one I know of that rates highly.

I have a board arriving in a approx a week and am interested in hearing of Shoulder friendly paddles to look at?

Thanks.

Cam...

skyfish

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Shoulder friendly Paddles
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 05:07:48 AM »
Werner Fuse or Nitro , Bent shaft. It is light , ergonomic and highly efficient :)

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2011, 05:57:49 AM »
 Whiskeyjack woodies will never hurt your shoulders (unless someone hits you with one)...                                                                          Paddle On,   JD
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 06:00:00 AM by jdmotes »
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

Dwight (DW)

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • supSURFmachines
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2011, 06:15:38 AM »
I think a flexible shaft reduces shock loads, but if the blade is still too big, you can over stress your shoulder.

In my opinion extra narrow blades help the most and help keep you from over doing your shoulder.

Hilly

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2011, 06:31:38 AM »
More to do with technique; use your back more and keep the arms straight.

Mcnally78

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 06:54:49 AM »
You don't want a super flesh shaft. Smaller blade is the answer. Too flesh and it's tough to be efficient

southwesterly

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2011, 10:14:20 AM »
Kialoa Pipes, works great and is way easy on all the joints.
Just get a black one if you are not secure with your own masculinity.

chipmonk

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2011, 10:34:37 AM »
Nitro is the easiest paddle I have tried by far. I imagine the Pipes is very low impact as well, I have a Methane...

HarkinBanks

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2011, 11:23:02 AM »
I have shoulder problems too. Mostly my right from pole vaulting in college. I had a JL Peahi cut somewhat short (fist overhead). Now I'm using a Werner Carve adjustable (high cadence small blade) to see if length (vs width ) makes a difference.  ;D.
I tend to keep the adj about that same length because it's where Im comfortable and does not reduce any stress to my shoulder if shorter - but it hurts more if longer, and the smaller blade takes some torque out of the pull.
But I find the adj is stiff (although smaller blade so does not hurt any more than the JL) but I really liked the feel of the JL Peahi more.
My first paddle was a bigger blade stiff shaft older generation paddle (no name on it) and I use it occasionally - it hurts.
The one thing I would like to try is the Werner Carve blade on a JL Shaft but the wider blade is more fun for leaning on in the surf.
Reason I like the JL:
1. I did not like the flex at first but got used to it and really like the feel of it now.
2. Back side I can lay back really hard on the bigger blade and the flex feels nice and forgiving.
3. Although people say smaller blade gives better acceleration - I felt faster on the JL..
Hope this helps.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 12:27:45 PM »
Out of all the replies no one asked what type of board you are paddling,what length,what kind of conditions, your height/weight and your current length of paddle you are using right now? these are all contributing factors to a specific size paddle.

Cam S

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 03:27:53 PM »
Ninja, I am 6'3" approx 108kgs and paddling a 11'x32" Fanatic in flat water fresh and ocean, venturing to the waves when the opportunity arises. However at present it is mostly flat water lake as it is the most convenient to my erratic free time ...

exetersup

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 03:38:42 PM »
Sawyer Paddles make excellent wood shafts with carbon wraps and carbon blades. Very forgiving, a little on the heavy side compared to super lightweight stiff carbon paddles, but totally reliable and flexible. Their Bonzai Arrowhead is my favorite.

Pureadrenalin

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 04:03:55 PM »
Ninja, I am 6'3" approx 108kgs and paddling a 11'x32" Fanatic in flat water fresh and ocean, venturing to the waves when the opportunity arises. However at present it is mostly flat water lake as it is the most convenient to my erratic free time ...

and your current paddle length? What is the new SUB you will be paddling? all this info can also determine if your existing paddle is also to long or to short. Which could be a factor of your shoulders being in pain. Don't forget technique plays a big role in pain factor also.

Cam S

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 04:28:23 PM »
Yeah fully agree on technique and have been getting advice there and need to put in the paddle time. The board is a Fanatic Fly 11'x32". I had a demo paddle as a loaner on a Naish 12' Glide and Starboard Blend... It went back with the boards, so can't provide a measurement.  I haven't had shoulder problems as yet with SUP, tho have not put in the hours as yet either. I am looking into this new paddle as I do have shoulder problems from years of cattle work. It occurs often enough to be an issue and I am dealing with it again at this minute. 2 very worn discs started it off years ago. The right technique and a good paddle that is forgiving, has to be a positive. A SUP instructor told me to look at the Jimmy Lewis as he uses one daily when with clients for his shoulder issues. Buying a good paddle is so important and not cheap, so I want to do it as best for me, knowing I do have on going shoulder problems...

DavidJohn

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 04:55:40 PM »
Ater years of trying them all I like a shaft with some flex and and a small'ish blade size.. So the paddle I choose to use is the Kialoa Methane.

I used to get shoulder pain but not since using the Methane.. Try and demo one if you can.. IMO you want flex/spring but not soft and some flexy shafts are a bit soft.

DJ

* Recent Posts

post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99
Today at 05:01:39 AM
post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
PonoBill
April 23, 2024, 07:55:28 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 07:26:43 PM
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 07:16:46 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 06:56:28 PM
post Need a new Impact Vest
spindrift
April 23, 2024, 06:36:51 PM
post Re: Ocean Rodeo Glide-Allula
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 06:06:50 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 04:22:52 PM
kiteboarder
April 23, 2024, 03:07:49 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 02:59:32 PM
Dwight (DW)
April 23, 2024, 02:41:07 PM
post Re: Erik Antonson interview with Stacy Peralta
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:34:42 PM
post Fanatic 8.3 Allwave
[Classifieds]
firesurf
April 23, 2024, 01:28:40 PM
B-Walnut
April 23, 2024, 01:24:35 PM
post Re: At what age did you, or do you plan to retire?
[Random]
surfinJ
April 23, 2024, 01:24:13 PM
SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal