Author Topic: Tom Carrol SUP at Quicksilver Pro 2011  (Read 10066 times)

Acuático

Tom Carrol SUP at Quicksilver Pro 2011
« on: March 11, 2011, 09:02:29 AM »
World Champ surfer Tom Carroll brings out his SUP in the middle of the heat during the Legends Heat at Quicksilver Pro!!! How about that???
Imagine all the surfer`s faces looking at this...!!
Since Laird is totally outside on his own world, could we say that maybe Ton carroll is the most important ambassador for SUP in the surfing world?

Newbomb

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Tom Carrol SUP at Quicksilver Pro 2011
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2011, 09:53:48 AM »
Could this be a key point in the history of SUP regardless of it being a Legends competition? Probably.

Carroll is ripping and showing how versatile SUP can be doing laybacks, cutbacks, and walking the board, making work of unfavorable waves.

It's also interesting to listen to the commentators a few times. One seems a bit irritated while the other certainly adds some positive color commentary and support.

Could you even say, in this case, that he went "anti-establishment"?  ;)

Fantastic!
Salt-less SUPer from the Great Lakes

Easy Rider

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2011, 09:55:43 AM »
That is RAD!!!!!!!!

Sooooo good to see.

Thanks for posting.
Easy Rider is the name of my store in Edmonton, AB, Canada.
My name is Warren Currie . . . and we SUP Surf indoors . . . in a shopping mall!

Big Z

• Rincon Status
  • It's all about the fun, wasssuppp!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2011, 10:03:45 AM »
Super sick to see someone like Tom, a legend in surfing, do the sup thing! I think that helped sup surfing in a huge way! And so ballsy doing it when and were he did...freaking awesome! ;D ;D

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2011, 10:09:19 AM »
Then watch the other guys trying to slog out moves on these clearly crap waves... this is the PERFECT vehicle to show what SUP is all about... blown out and nearly unsurfable... yet Tommy C is getting in early, linking turns throwing in old and new school... backhand... that was some smooooth style.

When I grow up, I wanna surf like Tommy C!

Thanks for posting!

Tim
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

Mr.413

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2011, 10:20:08 AM »
WooooOOOoo!!  :o We can call this "an heroic stunt for the SUP community"! He's my hero!

Acuático

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2011, 10:26:11 AM »
Good remark! In that kind of  waves the Sup surfing of TC looks much more smooth and powerful than the prone guys!
Tom Carroll rips!!

endlessfight

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2011, 10:38:22 AM »
just look at the rides he was getting, how many turns per wave, compared the the shortboarders out there in those same conditions. good on Tom for doing that during an ASP surf comp.

i'm sure a lot of people will be thinking, 'yah tommy boy is SUPing now because hes getting old and cant surf well anymore' - well Tom was ripping over at rock piles on 15 ft sets the day of the pipeline comp, and i was often watching him more then the actual competition. and he was ripping just as hard as any other the other pros out riding rock piles that day (fanning, gieselman, etc.)

Dave J

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2011, 11:58:28 AM »
Freakin' awesome!!!!! Thanks for posting.

trashinwb

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2011, 12:30:35 PM »
TC was always one of my favorites, minus the ultra-short boardies. Stoked to see this taking place when and where it did.

Let's not forget about Luke Egan, another former world tour competitor (and goofyfoot) turned SUP ripper.

Magic Carpet Boards

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2011, 03:15:25 PM »
hell yeah! Go Tom!
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

jdmotes

• JD Motes
  • Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2011, 05:09:02 PM »
 Killer vid of Luke E... Thanks for the share.  Paddle On,   JD
JD Motes/Water Bound Sports LLC
Florida; Ga; S.C; Sales Rep for:
Progressive SUP
Exocet SUP
Kona SUP
Epic Gear SUP Paddles and Accessories
Ke Nalu Precision SUP Paddles

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2011, 05:31:23 PM »
Both awesome, but TC's class move at the Quick makes him an even bigger hero in my book. That had to stop up a few gobs. I'm gonna go have a Famous Grouse in his honor. The powers that be here in Maui don't want us in the water today. Sheesh.

Don't know if there are that many scotch lovers on the Zone, but while I have a lot of nice single malts gathering dust in my liquor cabinet in Portland, in Hood River and Maui I drink Famous Grouse. 1/4th to 1/10th the price and I swear to God I like it better than some of the very best.
Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

lord_sup

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2011, 06:48:23 PM »
Then watch the other guys trying to slog out moves on these clearly crap waves... this is the PERFECT vehicle to show what SUP is all about... blown out and nearly unsurfable... yet Tommy C is getting in early, linking turns throwing in old and new school... backhand... that was some smooooth style.

When I grow up, I wanna surf like Tommy C!

Thanks for posting!

Tim

martin potter outsurfed tom carroll on every wave if you watch the entire heat. more critical in the pocket surfing. sorry had to say it. that being said, looks like tommy was just out having fun with a huge perma grin. ballsy move but he pulled it off. he did get a few nice (for a sup :)) turns in. martin potters layback snap was the best turn in that whole heat. guys still rips on a shorty in his mid 40's

exiled

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2011, 11:56:03 PM »
Don't know if there are that many scotch lovers on the Zone, but while I have a lot of nice single malts gathering dust in my liquor cabinet in Portland, in Hood River and Maui I drink Famous Grouse. 1/4th to 1/10th the price and I swear to God I like it better than some of the very best.

Send them dusty bottles here Bill. I'll take care of them. FWIW, I'm loving Aberlour A’bunadh right now.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal