Author Topic: Drysuits for Stand Up  (Read 8487 times)

mrl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
Drysuits for Stand Up
« on: March 09, 2011, 05:28:03 AM »

Used my Sailing drysuit during a race a couple of weeks ago, air temp was in the forties and water in the fifties, and loved it. Had complete range of motion never hot cold, and never overheated. ( yeah I know the real men and women were out there in board shorts) Only complaint I had is my suit was a heavy duty offshore model. When she heard how much I liked it she wanted one too. Working with Boyld at Kokatat found out they are coming out this year with a light wieght Gortex paddling suit (basicaly a drysuit with a neopream instead of latex neck seal. He hooked us up with one of the few womens models of this suit. Wife loved it. It was very breathable and light weight while still keeping her warm and dry. Just wondering if anyone else has had any expierence either good or bad using these suits

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
Re: Drysuits for Stand Up
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2011, 05:59:45 AM »
I've been using the Ocean Rodeo drysuits all winter.  Have taken it out in temps as low as 15F.  It feels like a 2mm, is breathable and you can layer undergarments to adjust for the current temp.  Unlike the Kotokat, the OR suit is a 2 piece suit, a drycore with latex seals, and a thin neoprene skin that pulls the core in against your body so that you look like you are wearing a wetsuit from 10 yards away.  The biggest problem with a drysuit is the waterproof membrane has zero flex, so the suit needs to be oversized.  But then you end up looking like a goofball and it makes getting back on the board annoying and difficult.  The neoprene skin fixes that, as well as offers abrasion protection to the expensive drycore.  They take maybe 1 minute longer to put on than a wetsuit, but come off faster, plus you aren't naked underneath, AND your suit is dry for that afternoon session later in the day!

The biggest downside is not being able to pee.  I think some of the Kotokats have a zipper for peeing though.  All in all, a great investment.  You can get rid of your 6mil, 5mil, 4 mil and maybe even 3 mil in exchange for one of these.  A top of the line 3mil might give the drysuit a run for its money.

I'll keep an eye out for one of those Kotokats though.  Sounds intriguing. 

raf
owner of Soposup, New England's 1st dedicated SUP shop
www.soposup.com

PaddleAnything

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2011, 06:11:10 AM »
I have a Kokatat drysuit that I've owned for 12 years and it is in near perfect condition.  The latex seals were replaced last year and I added socks instead of ankle seals.  If ordering a new one, get the gortex socks and consider a relief zip/flap depending of gender.  For winter paddling, a drysuit is the absolute best way to go.  You are correct that a gortex drysuit will regulate your body temp. much better than a wetsuit.  I'm not sure about the Kokatat non-latex seals.  They have sold some that are consider semi-drysuits and I would not recommend that since water does get in the suit from the neck/wrist.  Remember that the high end Kokatat drysuits will last for decades with reasonable care and replacement seals.  Buy one for the long term and you will not regret it.  You can always sell it and get 50% plus back years afterward. 

Taking a swim in extremely cold air/water will screw with your body and mind if you are not conditioned to it and a good drysuit completely changes the way your body will respond to the cold water because you stay dry and warm.  Good luck!

gafas

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2011, 06:55:30 AM »
Read some good reviews on the Mystic Force Drysuit.

mrl

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2011, 07:26:18 AM »
the light weight Kokatat suit has gortex boots, latex wrist seal and a neopream seal at theneck which is cinchable. Also the womens suit comes complete with a drop seat the mens with a relief zipper.  Having used a drysuit for catamaran sailing year round. I agree with the statements concerning flexibility and the reduction of the shock factor when you hit the water

RainWaves

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • SUP-Southeast
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2011, 08:06:25 AM »
 I've been paddling around home here in a 5mm wetsuit, and the idea of a dry suit is starting to look better all the time! Our water temps in Winter get down to high 30's/low 40's, and up to around 60 in Summer time. My 5mm suit has done nothing but boil me me in my own sweat so far, as I hadn't fallen in yet, until this past Saturday. (And yes, it was very refreshing!). I just got a 2/3mm wetsuit for when it warms up a bit, but it has short sleeves, so it's going to wait for a Sunny day. Anyways, I think I'll definitely be in the market for a dry suit for next Fall. Lighter weight, and more freedom of movement would certainly be welcome, and I'll check into some of these models. Thanks for the thread!
Pete.

Rainskates: Kick-Ass skateboard wheels.

supsoutheast.com:  BIC, Ke Nalu, Naish and SIC dealer for S.E. Alaska.

PonoBill

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 10:08:13 AM »
I've been using a koketat drysuit for four or five years for SUP. Great product. I love that you can wear your street clothes under it. Easy to adjust for any temp, and flexibility is good unless you're trying to get back on the board--that can be a little tough if your suit is full of air, but not bad.

Foote 10'4X34", SIC 17.5 V1 hollow and an EPS one in Hood River. Foote 9'0" x 31", L41 8'8", 18' Speedboard, etc. etc.

Alkasazi

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2011, 11:15:30 AM »
I use a Kokatat Supernova Angler drysuit. Tropos is their in-house brand of waterproof/breathable fabric. It doesn't breathe as well as Gore-Tex, but I like the Cordura covering on the lower half, very abrasion-resistant.
SUP monkey @ Outdoorplay

current boards:
KPO Design Yampa 10
Imagine Connector
Red Elite 14

J-Bird

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2011, 05:34:44 PM »
I've been wearing an O'Neill Assault hybrid drysuit for years, and for SUP paddling in the surf it rocks.  It one piece, with wetsuit-like legs and a goretex nylon top.  You layer under the top based on conditions, its as warm as you want it, and best of all the top breathes so you dont overheat like you do in a wetsuit.  Complete free range of motion.  The seals are all neoprene, so they last a long time.  I use it in Rhode Island all through the winter and spring. I highly recommend one.

linter

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2011, 10:11:52 PM »
i used a top-of-the-line kokotat drysuit for 4 or 5 years and thought i loved it the most until i bought a top-of-the-line excel 5 mil.  at the moment, it's excel all the way in my 35-degree RI H2O.  i don't feel any loss of movement range and it just feels more comfy to me in the water.  plus it helps me blend in better with the crawlers.  plus -- and here's the clincher -- the hood is integrated into the suit, and that is much much better than having to wear one separate.

afaik no drysuit has a built in hood, leaving you with one you've got to pull over you head.  i never found one that didn't try to choke me until i turned blue and keep me looking in a straight line like i've got a neck brace on.

i dunno about the new OR.  does it have a built-in hood?  i can't remember.

ymmv.   obviously.

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2011, 03:31:58 AM »
Yep, the OR suit has a hood.  I've found you can cut the neck seal a little bigger on the OR suit (so you don't feel like your cutting off the blood flow to the head) because of the neoprene skin.  Here's a pic:

robcasey

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • Salmon Bay Paddle
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2011, 08:31:00 PM »
A few drysuits to consider:
- Kokatat, don't get the one with the double tube used for kayaker's dry skirts.  gortex feet or ankle seals if you just use booties.

- NRS makes a good one. nrsweb.com

- OS Systems, a friend loves his.

- Palm makes great suits. 

- Reed Chill Cheater, a UK company has dry and semi dry suits that are nice too. 
Rob Casey
Salmon Bay Paddle
PSUPA
Seattle

novaboy

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
    • Turtle's Board Room
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 04:25:56 AM »
I've been using Ocean Rodeo drysuits for 5 years. Started with the Pyro Pro which is a baggy suit, then went with the PyroSurf, and just upgraded to the Predator this year. Awesome suits, like wearing a 2mm suit but with the warmth of a 6 or 7mm. They aren't cheap especially once you add the fleece underwear, but it does keep you dry and warm. I've used it in -7C air temps, and water temps of 2-5C. I'll never go back to a wetsuit for winter surfing again.
Jimmy Lewis Canada Rep
http://turtlesboardroom.weebly.com
9'5 Striker, 12'6 Sidewinder, 5'11 Kwad, 8’6 Super Frank
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
foiled again
April 24, 2024, 08:00:16 PM
post Re: Sunova Ghost 8'10 SUP
[Classifieds]
kliss99