Author Topic: my first board, any and all help wanted,  (Read 8758 times)

dobo17

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
my first board, any and all help wanted,
« on: March 02, 2011, 03:38:10 PM »
hi guys, this is my first post, and so forgive me if this post is in the wrong place,  I am looking to buy a board for a variety of uses, including fishing,. so here it goes, i am looking for a board to:

-take on up to 5 day camping/fishing/exploring trips and where i would be covering fairly long distances over flat water and slow rivers and streams

-take on tidal marshes/ ocean surf / and use to fish, crab and swim off of,

-learn to snorkel, dive, and spearfish and use as a stable/ anchored platform to keep crab/lobster/fish on and dive from

-although these parameters i have described seem to lead to a huge board,
but i was wondering if it would take the fun out of SUPing, as I would definitely put a removable rack on the front for fishing gear, and take it off for paddling and day trips where i want to just goof around and possibly race my friends in their kayaks,

so any suggestions?
i have been looking at the imagine offshore
http://web.me.com/imaginesurf/eng/offshore.html
which is supposedly very fast, and although its heavy, glides and tracks well

and the lakeshore paddle board company river rover
http://www.lpc-sup.com/boards.php?prod_id=6
which is thinner and lighter, but does not have any storage space besides tiedowns, which i am still debating if i really need that kind of storage,

both of these boards are 14 feet, and i am wondering, is this too long to do everything i want,? or would u guys recommend a 12 or even 10 footer,

i have a fullsize chevy k5 blazer with a roof rack so transporting even a long board is no problem

im open to any and all suggestions

I am 6' 2" and 208 lbs and am a fairly muscular build, I am fairly new to board sports but i am a quick and dedicated learner,

my budget is about 1200 for the board

dobo17

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: my first board, any and all help wanted,
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 03:48:16 PM »
eh, ill up my budget to 1500

dobo17

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 05:54:29 PM »
any help would be greatly apprecited ;D

Reid SUP'd

• Peahi Status
    • View Profile
    • SUPR Adventures
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 06:37:44 PM »
i'd go with something in the 12ft range thats classified as an all arounder, there is no 1 board that does everything good, your best bet is going for an all around board in the 11'6-12'6 range, most SUP companies offer a model like this, starboard, naish mana, imagine, jimmy lewis, etc...
Supr Adventures
lisup.blogspot.com

Canuck Kook

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 06:44:12 PM »
For fishing, diving, cruising - the starboard fisherman is nice, it is actually fairly fast as well. The Starboard Big Easy is a good allround board.
Definitely check out the Naish Mana or Nalu. Hobie ATR's are also a nice allround shape.
12' Starboard Big Easy
10' 5' Starboard Widepoint
14' Starboard Ace Pro
12'6 404 Monster Carbon
12'6 Imagine Rocket
OC Zephyr - Deceased

dobo17

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 07:09:19 PM »
thanks for the imput guys im looking up all these right now!

so u guys think those big expedition styles would be too much board?

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2011, 07:12:14 PM »
For multiple over nighters you are going to want a board with a good amount of volume and length to hold all your gear. I'm also intrigued about the Imagine Offshore but it doesn't come out till may. Looking forward to some reviews and pictures of the Offshore.

I would say 12' at the very shortest and I would be leaning towards 14 feet to give maximum versatility for what you are wanting with expedition paddling. You are going to want something that will float over 250 pounds for all that gear and yourself.

Check out the Tahoe Zephyr 12'6" and 14'. The Zephyr has multiple tied down options in the front and back and can hold a lot of weight. Tahoe is selling last years models at a discount.

The Angulo Shaka is 14' fairly cheap, with good volume and is getting good reviews as a very versatile board that is fast and stable. There are good deals to be had with this model.

The Bark Expedition is a good option but you will only find one in your price range in the used market.

The Surftech coast runner is 14' with huge volume and is stable but you will have to hit the used market to come in at your price range.

The Hovie Nomad looks like a good price point Expedition board that can hold a lot of weight and it's 12' with tie downs in the front and back. I have seen some discounts on this model as well.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 07:18:20 PM by robon »

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2011, 07:26:56 PM »
thanks for the imput guys im looking up all these right now!

so u guys think those big expedition styles would be too much board?

No. For what your are looking to do on an SUP, I wouldn't be looking at anything else but an expedition style board. Versatility is key. I have tried to load up an 11'6" that doesn't have much volume and it doesn't float too well and I weigh close to the same as you. Some boards like the Shaka and Expedition seem to be very versatile 14 foot boards that can serve dual duty as expedition rigs, down winders, beginner racers, and even some surfing.

You won't be disappointed in buying a bigger board on multiple day trips or fishing expeditions.

dobo17

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2011, 09:05:15 PM »
well thanks for the help, right now im looking at the tahoe zepher and the lpc river rover,

do these boards come with leash attachment points standard? because i dont see one on the river rover and would hate to lose a board down the Connecticut river :o

Canuck Kook

• Rincon Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2011, 09:39:24 PM »
Most boards do have a leash attachment. If not you can buy glue on ones.
12' Starboard Big Easy
10' 5' Starboard Widepoint
14' Starboard Ace Pro
12'6 404 Monster Carbon
12'6 Imagine Rocket
OC Zephyr - Deceased

highsierrabear

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2011, 09:58:55 PM »
I think your description screams Starboard Fisherman.

You'll of course pay a speed and maneuverability for all that stability and gear carrying ability, but that's cool.  Soon you'll have a quiver of boards and be addicted.

Strand Leper

• Cortez Bank Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2011, 11:05:05 PM »
I saw an Aviso hollow carbon fiber 12'6" at paddle surf warehouse last year... Can load it up like the imagine offshore... Call Paul, Dave or Mike.  Very fast, very tough and very versatile.
American Saltwater Angler Magazine's Seven Time Angler of the Year.* Founder and former CEO of "Fishstrong" an organization devoted to the fight against fishbait-hands-smell discrimination.

* subject to revocation due to a pending investigation by the FDA (fisherman drug association)

dobo17

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2011, 06:59:14 AM »
I saw an Aviso hollow carbon fiber 12'6" at paddle surf warehouse last year... Can load it up like the imagine offshore... Call Paul, Dave or Mike.  Very fast, very tough and very versatile.

that looks nice but is way outta my price range, possibly a used one,
buyt the tahoe zephyr and the lbc river rover look like possible boards for me, possibly the imagine, but i want to see some reviews before i buy one

lucabrasi

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2011, 04:52:44 PM »
My two cents. I would look at the Hooked SUP or the Starboard fisherman. I have also ran across the BOTE board recently.
I am 6'4" and 225 lbs. For my first board I was set on the Hooked SUP last year but the container was delayed. I was way bummed. I ended up getting the R French 11'6" model. I got a boardfisher crate and fish flat water on that. After last summer it is adequate for sure but for what I want to do and what you seem to want to do I want a bigger board. It's a good durable board and glides way nice for sure. 
The French would definatley get you by, give you some money for the boardfisher and a good paddle and away you go. I would suggest the NSI tie downs rather than the ones that come with the boardfisher. Their flexible attatchment works better than the rigid ones with the board fisher. Hooked SUP or BOTE or Starboard fisheman wouldn't need those but the French did not come with attatchment points.
These are definately just like skis and kayaks I have come to find out. You will end up with a quiver of them if you like it.
 I am going to get another board coming up soon (starting my quiver) and not sure which of the three I am going to get. I think it will narrow down to the Hooked SUP or the Starboard. I want the extra width for the drier ride which I think you will also for your camping. I know you could get by with the French but would probably have wished you had gotten one of the others. The Bote is a little thicker and longer so it may float a little better than the French but it is no wider so I wonder.
If the Imagine is a poly/plastic like a kayak, it looks cool but I wouldn't go that way. One of the things I like about the board instead of the kayak is how light and easy it is to use and that would defeat what I was after. I really realized that after enjoying my board for a while. I looked at getting one of their boards last year untill I actually saw one and decided against it because of the weight. It was like schlepping around a kayak. Cool idea, cool stuff, durable as all get out, great price, but not a board.
I would be curious as to what board you decide on as there are lots of good boards out there. The Hovie or Tahoes are also boards I considered. With their displacement hulls it could be just what you after but not to good in current. I did take my French down a river with Class 2 and did fine. No displacement hull. I am certain the Starboard and Hooked SUP and BOTE would do fine in current also.
 I will definately post my comparisions between my new board and my French but I am still 60 days from open water where I am but will have that new board ready to go at first chance.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 05:10:04 PM by lucabrasi »

* Recent Posts

post Re: Need a new Impact Vest
[Wingsurfing, Windfoiling, Wingfoiling, Wing SUP]
B-Walnut
Today at 10:20:25 AM
foiled again
Today at 07:32:24 AM