Author Topic: Fanatic Fly 11' x 32" & Fanatic Fly Allround 11'6 x 33"  (Read 8806 times)

Cam S

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
Fanatic Fly 11' x 32" & Fanatic Fly Allround 11'6 x 33"
« on: March 02, 2011, 05:04:35 AM »
Hi from Down Under.

I am new to SUP and researching my first board purchase. After doing this and a few demo opportunities, I have a short list [which did change many times along the way]... I am 6'3", approx 108/110kgs. The board is for flat water paddling [freshwater and ocean] and small waves. A board for fun, that may see a little fishing too. A keeper and not something to turn over in the short term. A more dedicated wave board and a long board for down wind can come a little later, once I have some SUP time up and know what I direction I wish to take.

Recently I heard about the Fanatic Fly 11' x 32"  &  Fanatic Fly Allround 11'6 x 33"... They have my curiosity and I searched for what I could find. Which turned out to be not much. There is a retailer here who handles Fanatic SUP, but doesn't carry the 11' or 11'6" on hand. [I'm not sure if the 11'6" is released here yet and I could be jumping the gun there?] Tho will order them in for a purchaser. So a demo isn't possible or even a look... I have a good amount of info on my short list of boards and am interested to hear any experiences and views on the Fanatic 11'x32"  and Fanatic 11'6" x 33"?

Another query, which is a little broad and general - Does Salt water vs Fresh water Buoyancy have a noticeable affect on a SUP Board? I ask as a board I tried floated me passably ok in Salt water. I asked the owner how he thought it may be in Fresh water for me if I took the dog with me for a paddle and he thought maybe borderline/submarine... So it had me thinking further.

cheers,

Cam...

Water Monkey

• Malibu Status
    • View Profile
Re: Fanatic Fly 11' x 32" & Fanatic Fly Allround 11'6 x 33"
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 06:24:59 AM »
The 11' Fanatic FLY seems like the board for you. I am a Fanatic team rider and operate a SUP business here in FL. The 11' can handle guys 230+. The 11'6 just came out and may not be available in OZ for a while. I'd go with the 11' as you don't need the extra board that the 11'6 offers unless you want a real tanker. The 11' will also catch the tiniest of waves and is going to be very stable.

Do not have experience with fresh water but imagine salt water makes the board float higher.I hope this helps!

raf

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
    • soposup.com
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 06:53:17 AM »
the difference in flotation between fresh and salt water is not worth considering, from my experience.

aircube

• Sunset Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 07:46:21 AM »
1 cubic foot has an upward force of 62.4 lbs in fresh water and 64lbs in saltwater.  So the extra float is about 1.6lbs per cubic foot of displacement.

1 cubic foot vol = 28.32 L vol

so given a 200L sup / 28.32 = 7.06

7.06*1.6= 11.30 lbs

So a 200L SUP will float about 11.30 lbs extra in saltwater.  Not a huge difference but I notice a difference in stability of my whopper when I don't wear my 15lbs wetsuit.

Recently I went to Oahu/kauai and rented a few diff boards.  i found that the combo of saltwater PLUS not having to wear a 15lbs wetsuit was very noticable.  I was on smaller/narrower boards in HI than i ride at home and they felt just as stable and floaty if not more so.

150L board = about an extra 5.3 lbs floatation minus a 15lbs wetsuit and I was surfing 20lbs lighter in HI than i do at home.

My question is:  Floatation aside, Does in the higher density and viscosity of saltwater provide more stabilty regardless of floatation litterally because its more viscous?  Once planing on a wave face does more viscous, heavier saltwater provide a more powerful ride because of diff hydrodynamics??  Sure felt that way to me.

robon

• Teahupoo Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2011, 07:48:01 AM »
Go with the 11'6". At 6'3" 240 pounds, you are a big dude and the extra volume and length will make the 11'6" much more versatile for all around use. You will quickly learn at your size that an 11'6" won't seem very big after awhile. The average size person is a good three inches shorter and also lighter than you are. When you start going on longer paddles, you will pack more and more gear and the 11'6" will make it that much easier with it's slight width increase, length and overall volume. What you will be sacrificing in surfing performance, which really won't be much, will be made up with a more versatile board in the end.

You don't need as much volume for surfing but once you start paddling for any amount of distance, or do some fishing, 240 pounds can get to 250-260 in a hurry with extra food and gear, and you will be wanting all the volume and length you can get at that point.

Weighing over 200 pounds myself and knowing what I do now about packing extra gear and volume of SUPs, I think it is wiser to go a little bit bigger for your first SUP. I went with an 11'6" but only considered the weight recommendations for the board without any extra gear. Even adding 10-15 pounds, which isn't much, really makes a difference in the float and handling of my board. I should have went with more volume for my first SUP and won't be making the same mistake again.

Good luck.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2011, 08:12:57 AM by robon »

Cam S

• Waikiki Status
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2011, 03:28:23 PM »
Just when I thought I had my short list of boards nailed, another 1 or 2 show up!  ;) I know the 11' is available here, but think the 11'6" is too new and not yet released as I can find no Aussie reference to it. I did email Fanatic, but haven't heard back as yet. Will ask the dealer here. Interesting to hear on Flotation in salt and fresh water. Knowing the Buoyancy differences were there, I hadn't actually thought it could be a consideration, until a Naish rep brought it up when talking about my plans. A morning or afternoon fishing or exploring a few bays and rivers could see a little extra gear carried, adding more weight. Good point! Thanks guys.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal